Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 537 538 [539] 540 541 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 882669 times)

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #8070 on: October 05, 2015, 02:01:35 pm »

Uhm the site appears not working for some reason. Anyway, I've found the videos on youtube, and thank you for informing about such thing. The C basics are not a big deal to me, but I'm unfamiliar with the technology of making a software product whatsoever, so it's going to be much useful.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 10:55:59 am by RoguelikeRazuka »

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8071 on: October 05, 2015, 03:51:29 pm »

Heh. I started programming when I was 12/13 or so - barely understanding anything. When I took a computer science class in highschool everyone thought I was Steve Wozniak reincarnated because I already knew how to print ("Hello, World!"). I played along with it and (somehow) managed to bullshit my way through as being hypercompetent when in reality I was only half a lesson ahead.
Which is basically just a really longwinded way of saying that when a sixteen-year-old says they're competent in three languages they're probably exaggerating.

Isn't that a lovely thing? I remember those days. Mostly because everyone else's view of programming was really stupid.

I like to say that I'm literate in many programming languages now, because even if I'm not proficient with their features, I can read the source code and figure out what's going on without consulting documentation.

Anyway, you're never too old to learn anything. I enjoyed meeting a forty year old who had taught himself programming over the last year, though I didn't tell him, he was a lot better at it than I was after about ten years of screwing around with programming.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #8072 on: October 05, 2015, 04:40:34 pm »

Programming experience is great, but sometimes you get led into.... well, just look at this. https://medium.com/@webseanhickey/the-evolution-of-a-software-engineer-db854689243

Really though, you just gotta have some drive and a few projects.  Following classes or tutorials only gets you so far, you have to actually have a problem you want to solve and look up/research stuff yourself.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8073 on: October 05, 2015, 04:47:05 pm »

https://medium.com/@webseanhickey/the-evolution-of-a-software-engineer-db854689243
Wow, that's scary. Why would you do all of that stuff?

The idea of writing a class for a Hello World program, though… ???
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 04:49:41 pm by Antsan »
Taste my Paci-Fist

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8074 on: October 05, 2015, 04:54:10 pm »

I'm getting started on C#.  Its the first language I've ever used where I need to write exception handling into the code.

Can someone explain very simply what i'm supposed to do?  Most of the guides on the internet were clearly written for people who took/are taking classes, not for a true beginner.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8075 on: October 05, 2015, 05:14:44 pm »

https://medium.com/@webseanhickey/the-evolution-of-a-software-engineer-db854689243

That looks like C#, which is strictly object-oriented. You can't have code outside classes.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8076 on: October 05, 2015, 05:42:44 pm »

I have to agree that the idea of forcing all code to be in a class somewhere is kind of clumsy.  Requiring the program's entry point to be in a class that could easily have no other methods or properties is weird.

It does simplify some aspects of the language though I guess.  If you're going to design a language that's primarily targeted at OO concepts then it makes sense to require things like that, but it's still weird to me.

Maybe I just got entrenched in the mindset of C++.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8077 on: October 05, 2015, 05:59:11 pm »

That looks like C#, which is strictly object-oriented. You can't have code outside classes.
It's Java though.

I have to agree that the idea of forcing all code to be in a class somewhere is kind of clumsy.  Requiring the program's entry point to be in a class that could easily have no other methods or properties is weird.

It does simplify some aspects of the language though I guess.  If you're going to design a language that's primarily targeted at OO concepts then it makes sense to require things like that, but it's still weird to me.

Maybe I just got entrenched in the mindset of C++.
The idea behind having all code in classes is way more than just simplification. It also adds flexibility in every aspect other than writing code.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8078 on: October 05, 2015, 06:06:54 pm »

Finally, someone who mistook java for C# rather than the other way around. Cool.

Used to always be the other way around.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8079 on: October 05, 2015, 06:07:16 pm »

It's Java though.
I have one of those links somewhere.
Starts with BASIC, goes to I Don't Even Know What, then ends with, well, the BASIC it started with.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

breadman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8080 on: October 05, 2015, 06:53:52 pm »

Might be worth trying to reinstall GCC and not apply the patch to see if it helps?
You say that as if it didn't involve recompiling everything on the computer...

i love git and use it for basically everything

i am currently using it to keep track of undertale saves, no joke
It's wonderful for keeping configuration changes when updating the DF version, and for transferring saves between computers.  Granted, I had to configure it to use no more than 1g for packing.

1. Is it possible to like, start learning programming too late to be useful? I mean, roughly how long does it take before you have a more-or-less developed (marketable, if you will) skill at coding? Because I had classmates and friends that were already competent in like three languages at sixteen or something, and here I am just stumbling through things right now (I'm nineteen myself).
Learn it for a reason, and it will be useful no matter how late you learn it.  Quite a few people pick it up in college, and many become very successful from that starting point.  Others don't start until they find a need in their day job.

3. Right now, I'm learning Python, R, and SQL (I'm more or less a linguistics major minoring in data mining). What else would be useful or enlightening to pick up in addition to those?
JavaScript can be useful, though not as mind-expanding as some of the other examples listed.  After learning Python, it should be relatively simple to understand, so it can wait until you need it.

Many of the trappings help with maintainability of larger systems, but yes, they're slightly insane for a small program.

GNU maintains another list of Hello World jokes, but none of them hold a candle to its 184-line canonical implementation.  And that's only counting one of the three hundred files in its code base.
Quote from: Kevin Wayne, in r.g.r.n
Is a "diety" the being pictured by one of those extremely skinny aboriginal statues?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #8081 on: October 05, 2015, 06:57:02 pm »

Programming experience is great, but sometimes you get led into.... well, just look at this. https://medium.com/@webseanhickey/the-evolution-of-a-software-engineer-db854689243
That's... pretty accurate, really.

Also relevant:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8082 on: October 05, 2015, 07:01:24 pm »

Aw, catephant...With an arm...
IT IS ARMOK'S SIGN!  ALL HAIL THE CATEPHANT!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #8083 on: October 05, 2015, 11:36:34 pm »

3. Right now, I'm learning Python, R, and SQL (I'm more or less a linguistics major minoring in data mining). What else would be useful or enlightening to pick up in addition to those?
Those 3 should be a sufficient start for that particular application.

If you want to learn more about how computers actually work, I recommend C or a C-like introduction to C++. Possibly some basic computer architecture stuff with a simple assembly language like MIPS. Programming languages exist for the sole purpose of letting you reason about computing without mapping that directly to the hardware yourself; this is an imperfect process, since it leaves the less experienced unable to reason about how to effectively use the hardware. Learning the basics of the hardware and how instructions interact with it can help you reason about systems without resorting to "a wizard did it."

If you want to learn more about where computers are at and where they're going, probably look more into computer hardware/architecture stuff like this: https://www.udacity.com/course/high-performance-computer-architecture--ud007

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8084 on: October 06, 2015, 03:34:55 am »

The idea behind having all code in classes is way more than just simplification. It also adds flexibility in every aspect other than writing code.
Don't you think that statement is contradictory?
My experience is that in many instances using object orientation makes you add tons of boilerplate that could be easily avoided when using some other paradigm which offers everything you need for less code and better readability.

Flexibility comes from having more tools available, not from having one tool which supposedly does everything.
Taste my Paci-Fist
Pages: 1 ... 537 538 [539] 540 541 ... 796