Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just made it out alive... Now what?  (Read 1106 times)

FlyHat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Just made it out alive... Now what?
« on: January 01, 2012, 08:16:00 pm »

First thread  :D

I just went through my first Goblin siege, most of the Goblins were either caught in my cage traps, torn apart by the dogs or were skewered by my marksdwarfs.
Sadly enough though, my whole military was cut to pieces, most of my livestock was slaughtered and nearly all my war dogs were murdered in cold blood.
(The last Goblin was torn to pieces when he stepped into my burrow by around 40 civilians.)

Now... what should I do with the prisoners?
Since public flogging hasn't been implemented yet (Dammit Toady ) i was thinking of putting all their cages in a room, stripping them naked and then designating it as a zoo were they will be ridiculed for the rest of the fortresses their lives!

And for preperation of future sieges: Is there some kind of Third Party Software that helps with military managemant? (Specifically equipping of weapons and armor.)

Regards from a DF noob hoping for kind responses  :-[

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
Re: Just made it out alive... Now what?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 08:19:08 pm »

Nope.

FlyHat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

starshard0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 08:32:24 pm »

I've found that the system for equipping soldiers is pretty decent. What are you having trouble with exactly?

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 08:40:56 pm »

Assimilate them.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 08:47:22 pm »

Build an arena, every super dorfy fort has one. Strip them of their weapons and armor and see how many cats it takes to kill them.

FlyHat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 09:21:42 pm »

I've found that the system for equipping soldiers is pretty decent. What are you having trouble with exactly?
My biggest complain is that I can't filter weapons and armor, I don't want to scroll through my crossbows an war hammers when I'm looking for axes, besides, without filtering the GUI looks really cluttered. (Something you get used to I guess but why should you have to?)
I always want to decide EXACTLY what my short soldiers wear, and when you get down to which cave spider silk sock belongs to which dwarf the existing GUI isn't really optimal.
And I often accidentaly issue the same weapon, or piece of armor, twice (since there is no real way to tell which weapon is which if they are of the same type, material and quality) which mean I have to go back in the menu and keep on reissue weapons/armor until I get it right.
This is especially problematic if dealing with multiple squads.

Build an arena, every super dorfy fort has one. Strip them of their weapons and armor and see how many cats it takes to kill them.

This I will do.
I've got too many cats lurking around anyway <.<

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 09:29:31 pm »

For gearing up your military, assigning specific weapons is really more trouble than it's worth - the best way to make sure they use the stuff you want is to have a uniform that says, say, only use Steel Swords and Steel <armours> etc., and if you want them to use only the highest quality stuff, then [F]orbid lower quality weapons and armours of the material until they're geared up. I use the assign specific *item* only for artifacts and named weapons (since they have a unique name so don't get confused with every other steel sword you have around)

As for clothing, why do you need to assign them specific socks? just tell them to wear Cave spider silk socks of the appropriate colour (if any) and let them sort it out for themselves, the sock probably wont protect them from anything anyway so whats the harm if they pick out their own socks and such?

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 09:32:54 pm »

3x3 Cells.
Restraints in the middle.
Surround with Weapon Traps. Wood will Injure, Sharp will Kill.
Assign a Goblin to each of them.
!!FUN!! awaits.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Harry959

• Bay Watcher
  • Anti-Flanking Bomber Goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 09:49:28 pm »

Why stop there? Why not build a full underground Colosseum? Why not build a full underground Colosseum stocked with prisoners, creatures bought from the elves and whichever dorfs that are missing a few limbs?

Or you could just do what most people do, lock the goblins in a room, strip them naked and send in the dorfs with the steel axes.
Or the sacrificial tower, that's another classic.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 09:51:38 pm »

Unbelievably inhumane. Do what I do:

Build a laboratory, and let them assist you in various tests and experiments.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 02:44:22 am »

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o