Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Tonight is just NOT my night  (Read 2461 times)

Dwarfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tonight is just NOT my night
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 11:21:53 pm »

Besides the usual starvation and dehydration, my early failures were misunderstanding when I did or did not need irrigation. So I would always build complex irrigation systems sometimes when they were not needed, floodgate locking large bodies of water to dump into different 5x2 farming "rooms". Sometimes I'd forget which lever did what, so I would have two floodgates open at the same time, flooding the fortress. Since I tend to build my fortress infrastructure directly down below my farms, this led to a waterfall directly into the dining room below.

On my latest map I broke the rule of one lever at a time. I had dug a hole down beside the river, which lead into a chamber several stories below. This first room, the "reservoir", could be filled and cut off with floodgates. The adjacent room, the "well bottom", was a smaller room over which two wells were right next to the dining room. I accidentally opened both, and ended up with water jetting up the wells to flood the well room, sweeping into the dining room. One dwarf child got swept into the well and sank to the bottom, while another dwarf managed to hit the lever and stop the wells from backing up. It would have been interesting if the body had poisoned the well, but that did not appear to happen.

So yeah, my early !!Fun!! was all water works related! :)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 11:37:01 pm »

The first one I lost due to !!Fun!! had a population of about 30, and was slaughtered by a single ambushing group of goblin macemen.  My three hunters did almost as well as my two hunting dogs.  At least the dogs managed to wound a couple of the goblins before getting maced into submission.  On the bright side, the fort lasted just over two years ... *sigh*
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 11:45:53 pm »

I've only lost one fort to enemies but I've killed tons by doing stupid things. My first fort was killed by my dwarves putting a low priority on pulling the "stop the well water from filling the fort" lever. The few survivors went insane and killed each other.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 11:51:22 pm »

6 of my 30 legendary, steel-armed axedwarf military died out of nowhere. No forgotten beast battles, no recent sieges, none were in the hospital... They just dropped dead. I have yet to find where they died.

Or their gear.

Or their bodies.

Apparently, my dwarves found the bodies. I was tabbed out when they died so I still have no clue where they died.

I'll have more cannon fodder goblin meat grinders axedwarves when some of our 110 children finally grow up and stop being drains our our society.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 11:53:17 pm by Jacob/Lee »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 11:59:43 pm »

6 of my 30 legendary, steel-armed axedwarf military died out of nowhere. No forgotten beast battles, no recent sieges, none were in the hospital... They just dropped dead. I have yet to find where they died.

Or their gear.

Or their bodies.

Apparently, my dwarves found the bodies. I was tabbed out when they died so I still have no clue where they died.

I'll have more cannon fodder goblin meat grinders axedwarves when some of our 110 children finally grow up and stop being drains our our society.
In case you didn't know, you can check your [a]nnouncements, and highlight the "Urist McVictim has died" message, press [z] and have it jump to the location associated with said announcement.  It doesn't work for everything, but I'm pretty sure it would work for that type.
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2012, 12:04:34 am »

Or their gear.

Or their bodies.

In case you didn't know, you can check your [a]nnouncements, and highlight the "Urist McVictim has died" message, press [z] and have it jump to the location associated with said announcement.  It doesn't work for everything, but I'm pretty sure it would work for that type.
I didn't tab out long, but by the time I went to my squad screen again and realized the soldiers were gone it was far too late and the announcements page had cleared the events.

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2012, 12:10:06 am »

Well, my trog-dead fort is having a successful reclaim, though through all my dark strangler and Beak Wolf attacks my sixth military slot seems to be cursed. Every siege whichever dwarf I appoint there gets mauled to death...

Anyway, everydwarf has copper armor and weapons, and as soon as invader Xmas rolls around I'll have iron, so maybe no !!FUN!! quite yet today!
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2012, 12:16:28 am »

This thread has suddenly evolved into a "What !FUN! is your fortress succumbing to?" thread.

Awesome :D

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2012, 12:29:16 am »

Well, my trog-dead fort is having a successful reclaim, though through all my dark strangler and Beak Wolf attacks my sixth military slot seems to be cursed. Every siege whichever dwarf I appoint there gets mauled to death...
Odd ... I usually have at least the last six months of announcements (three or four pages, minimum) available to view.  Unless you left your fort unattended for a loooong time, I would expect at least one of the messages should be there.

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2012, 12:39:06 am »

Odd ... I usually have at least the last six months of announcements (three or four pages, minimum) available to view.  Unless you left your fort unattended for a loooong time, I would expect at least one of the messages should be there.

I

Uh

What?

There's no mystery, I can plainly see the combat log where they get their brains beaten in, it's just that that slot is the only dwarf that's died in the last four sieges.
Give a donation.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2012, 12:40:15 am »

If only you could assign nobles to that slot. ;)

ion25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2012, 12:52:59 am »

Well, to me this sounds like an impressive feat...

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2012, 12:53:50 am »

Oh but I can.

It might be a glitch, but in any fort that's gotten far enough nobles show up on military assignment menus just fine, lost several kings on more successful forts to being soldiers, in fact.
Give a donation.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2012, 05:32:59 am »

You meant

Or their gear.

Or their bodies.

I didn't tab out long, but by the time I went to my squad screen again and realized the soldiers were gone it was far too late and the announcements page had cleared the events.

Right?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2012, 05:51:03 am »

That would explain the nonsensicalness of thate quote-response.

In other news, none of my military is alive from the original fort, all new guys. I have twelve, and in one very large siege a single novice got twelve kills somehow. Needless to say, he's my new commander.
Give a donation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3