Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1839199 times)

Purgatory

• Bay Watcher
  • Many Questions Asked
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.2f - Bugfix, Graphics and Kobolds (and Linux/Mac OS)
« Reply #9210 on: February 18, 2013, 02:33:07 am »

@Purgatory: Dont know why your plants dont grow... did you gen a new world after you turned harder farming off ?
Ah thanks, didn't know I had to gen a new world.

Also, Night Stallions and Night Mares always completely burn down the forest, my animals, dwarves and my aboveground buildings/structures made of fire unsafe materials. Do you think you could nerf this a bit? Its literally happened every fortress I've had (except 1, where I died of an early undead invasion) (Note that I suck so much that I never get past the 3rd year lol).
Signature Is Here.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9211 on: February 18, 2013, 03:01:50 am »

also as far as the scriptorium is concerned - when training your soldiers what're the best methods? IE> train one soldier to max his weapon/shield/dodge then max out his teaching so he can train other soldiers and keep him as a fully trained maxed teaching instructor etc? what're your guys' processess?
I always train them one by one to a 'safe' combat level (expert or something around that), mostly for the weapon skill, fighter, and dodge/armor/shield. I don't bother leveling up further, or leveling all skills. An expert axedwarf with expert armor user, using decent (at least steel) equipment can take care of himself, and gain the rest of the levels with live combat.
I never bothered with teacher and student skills, I don't think they help that much.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9212 on: February 18, 2013, 03:14:47 am »

For the life of me... where do bone studs fall in the stockpile categories?  I cannot find it anywhere, I'm tired of the monkeys stealing them all.  They just sit in the tanner's shop!

I figured out that they are tools, but there is no way to stockpile ONLY bone studs and not any other tools. There is only a generic "tools" option in the finished goods stockpile.
You could just make a finished goods stockpile that only accepts bone tools.

Which reminds me, I don't think there's an option for Netherwood bark in the leather stockpile. It is stored there but I can't find it in the list of leathers, I used the DFhack search option and it didn't turn anything up. There are also still loads of individual leather types on the stockpile option even though I only produce the 6 or so Masterwork types.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 03:17:13 am by Torgan »

Arumba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Masterwork Guide/Videos
« Reply #9213 on: February 18, 2013, 09:45:39 am »

speaking of bone studs..

do you guys find yourselves using the upgraded leather process to outfit your archers in lamellar? at least until mithril/adamantium come into play? does the decreased weight compared to steel actually make a difference?

also as far as the scriptorium is concerned - when training your soldiers what're the best methods? IE> train one soldier to max his weapon/shield/dodge then max out his teaching so he can train other soldiers and keep him as a fully trained maxed teaching instructor etc? what're your guys' processess?

I find it very easy to use the leather system to quickly get some decent 'iron quality' leather armor for early game archers.

Step 1:  Bring some turkeys or goats.
Step 2:  Build nest boxes, have them lay some eggs, then execute them.  (Or milk them once if goats)
Step 3:  Obtain a small amount of oil, very easy to get from the 4 plant options at screw press.  Make sure to turn off cooking of oils in kitchen. 
Step 4:  Bring a small amount of cloth, or make it yourself, or steal clothing from a dwarf and disassemble it at the tailors shop. 
Step 5:  Make lamellar armor very quickly.  Usually within first season.

You might need to use some stockpile/workshop give/take in order to prevent the dwarves from making other things out of the lamellar, no sense in making lamellar quivers or bags for example.   

Arumba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Masterwork Guide/Videos
« Reply #9214 on: February 18, 2013, 10:53:25 am »

For the life of me... where do bone studs fall in the stockpile categories?  I cannot find it anywhere, I'm tired of the monkeys stealing them all.  They just sit in the tanner's shop!

I figured out that they are tools, but there is no way to stockpile ONLY bone studs and not any other tools. There is only a generic "tools" option in the finished goods stockpile.
You could just make a finished goods stockpile that only accepts bone tools.

Which reminds me, I don't think there's an option for Netherwood bark in the leather stockpile. It is stored there but I can't find it in the list of leathers, I used the DFhack search option and it didn't turn anything up. There are also still loads of individual leather types on the stockpile option even though I only produce the 6 or so Masterwork types.
I've just tried a bone only tools finished goods stockpile, the dwarves do not move bone studs.  I know that bone studs show up under the "Tools" section of the stocks screen, but they are still not being moved with those settings..  Any other ideas?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9215 on: February 18, 2013, 11:09:22 am »

@Purgatory: Dont know why your plants dont grow... did you gen a new world after you turned harder farming off ?
Ah thanks, didn't know I had to gen a new world.

Also, Night Stallions and Night Mares always completely burn down the forest, my animals, dwarves and my aboveground buildings/structures made of fire unsafe materials. Do you think you could nerf this a bit? Its literally happened every fortress I've had (except 1, where I died of an early undead invasion) (Note that I suck so much that I never get past the 3rd year lol).

That is how fire works in vanilla DF. I would reccomend making roads as fire breaks and roofing over a central keep made of nonflammable material. Nerfing nightstallions defeats the purpose of even having them.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9216 on: February 18, 2013, 04:19:23 pm »

I've just tried a bone only tools finished goods stockpile, the dwarves do not move bone studs.  I know that bone studs show up under the "Tools" section of the stocks screen, but they are still not being moved with those settings..  Any other ideas?
Assuming you have set the new stockpile to (t)ake from the old stockpile, no. :/ That's about the only awkward thing I have found with MW, I can't make stockpiles for all the new items that are tools so I end up hauling them all over the map to the workshops. Maybe it's not possible to change stockpiles that much though, or I am being dumb.

I will also say wraiths are a bit hard at embark, I think I just got lucky with my last fortress as I managed to embark with a Legion dwarf. This time I came across three rock wraiths while mining out my magma forge area and they killed my bronze battle axe wielding soldier on the first page of combat then killed everyone else. Unarmed blows just glance off, and even though the soldier managed to chop a few hands and feet off it didn't seem to slow them down. I maybe have more chance on the reclaim, I have got around two dozen friendly gremlins now who killed one wraith for me. I liked someone's idea earlier to maybe only have them in precious metals veins although that might affect my initial strategy of embark with a metal crafter and magma forge gold goblets for the first caravan.  :'(

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9217 on: February 18, 2013, 05:35:39 pm »

the healing messages happen a lot.  so much that it's hard for me to find actual combat messages

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9218 on: February 18, 2013, 05:39:10 pm »

the only thing that can be done about that is removing the VERBs and TARGET_VERBs from the healing CDIs.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9219 on: February 18, 2013, 05:40:31 pm »

Yeah, I should probably remove the target verb...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mavj96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9220 on: February 19, 2013, 12:16:43 am »

Anyone mind explaining platinum souls to me?

JodGap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9221 on: February 19, 2013, 11:40:29 am »

Map Biomes: Joyous Wilds + Haunted + Sinister
Launch Option: "Regional Weather: YES"

Problem: It's rainning rock on the Joyous Wild zone.

Is that normal? My Dwarfs get unhappy toughts for the weather.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9222 on: February 19, 2013, 01:33:25 pm »

rock snow
I guess it depends on your definition of Normal ;) 

####

Platinum Souls are a drop you can get from processing certain megabeasts at the Slaughterhouse.  There may also be a few megabeasts in the deep caverns that drop them directly.

You can get soul "fractures" from sacrificing warlock bits at the ARMOK_TEMPLE.

At the Researcher's Study (i think this is the name of it?) you can (1) combine the fractures to full souls (2) make soul container from a boulder (3) train a dwarf to some very high skill level using Platinum Soul and a Soul Container.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:56:15 pm by smakemupagus »

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #9223 on: February 19, 2013, 03:10:22 pm »

Hey Smake I had the option in my researcher to use a soul container (not make - use) and I guess it was from fractions because I didn't kill any megas but I don't remember putting any together (do war dragons used as mounts count as dragon megabeasts?).

Anyway, point being I just set it and forget it and that was that. Is this one of these situation where you have to restrict the workshop to only the dwarf you want to get the soul? I didn't do that, and I guess now one of my randoms (I let everyone use the researcher because I need to mass produce runes) is running around with a legendary combat skill.

Also, suggestion - Runes, Life Tomes, and Evil Books (forget what they are called) should be reduced in price from trade (currently about 15,000 DB) and % creation chance at researcher should be bumped up because when you take into consideration how many have the interaction fail (more than half in my experience) you are spending a lot of dwarfbucks and dwarfpower for something that is not a sure thing.

Going into my second decade and just fought off a combined bat-men attack in the caves and goblins upstairs. Glad to see the easier enemies don't stop coming once you start seeing Frost Giants. I haven't seen any Trogs or Ant-men tho, just bat-men and gremlins. Is it possible for subterranean civs to die out?...no way to check this at embark AFAIK.

Also, do dwarves get happy thoughts from artifacts inside a display stand, or is it more just for flavor like a potted plant or fountain?

Thanks!

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9224 on: February 19, 2013, 03:12:15 pm »

I have been playing 2f, built my first ever above-ground fort with some orcs.

Restricting creatures to their natural biomes makes a big difference in the wildlife that wanders through - it used to be that the beer men and sweat men would just wander through and kill everything if I stayed above ground, this game, I was able to hold out against the wildlife long enough to build a simple above-ground fort.  It seems that the creatures I had trouble with were from the cavern layer, since I only saw them in the deeps.

I also got the hang of farming this game, though I had such a great herd of beasts, that I never really needed the farms.  My fort was well fed on fish, meat and boozebelly rum.  I wonder if it would help reduce the power of the meat economy if all the animals were made smaller (so less fat and meat chunks when you killed them).  Or alternatively, pet prices were raised across the board, meaning less could be bought at embark or traded for.  Then again, more expensive pets means you can get more out of selling off your spare lambs...

If it were possible to make seeds more expensive, that might offer another way of reducing the food surplus in Dwarf Fortress.

In every game I've played since 1.9.5 (the first version I tried a wool industry in) I've not been able to spin the ewe wool and ram wool I've produced by shearing.  I am wondering if I am doing something wrong?  The way I set up my industries is to shear the sheep in the farmer's workshop, the wool then gets deposited in the corpse stockpile and whenever I try to spin thread, the game says it cannot find the reagent.

fasquardon
Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 749