Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 463 464 [465] 466 467 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1836069 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF2 - Alpha
« Reply #6960 on: September 21, 2012, 05:22:37 am »

Will this make them weaker soldiers in the long run compared to non-Legion dwarves?

Probably not, the different in their attribute range to start is huge.  Using the 1.9.5 values, the regular dwarves' strength for example   is the default min:max range 200:2000.  So if I understand correctly, after eternal training they could have a STR that falls in range of something like 1300:4000, depending how strong they were to start.  In practice I don't know how close you can really get to that theoretical cap.

Legion dwarves are start with a range of 3000:5000.

that is, the strongest of all regular dwarfs, if he pumps and mines for all of eternity will have the strength (4000) of an average untrained Legion dwarf.

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6961 on: September 21, 2012, 07:57:24 am »

Hi Meph, thanks very much for your work on the mod generally and the manual for MDF2 Alpha.

I note that the manual states the Legion dwarves do not learn any labor skills, which means they lose out on the attribute gains from the usual stat-boosting labours like mining, smoothing / engraving and pump operating.  Will this make them weaker soldiers in the long run compared to non-Legion dwarves?

no, seeing Darkhawk in the succession game should easily prove the exact opposite :D The problem with the "long run" is, that even when you play super-secure, you may run into a situation where you have to use your untrained militia. There, fighterdwarfs, berserkers and especially legion dwarfs shine, as they have higher starting stats and learn faster in the battle itself. Also, using a legion dwarf in a legendary reaction will boost him up to.... what was it Meph? Legendary + 2? Totally epic. Also, NO_Pain ;)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6962 on: September 21, 2012, 09:04:47 am »

How can I use skill containers?
(Fortress and Adventurer mode)

How come the golem workshop is not in the workshop or furnace list?

What skill/labor is used for the praying job?

Where is this graphical display of buildings and there functions that the 25 tips/manual mentions, but never links (didn't see it in the first post here either).

Starhero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6963 on: September 21, 2012, 10:49:55 am »

Hello again guys! Finally back to playing DF and my favorite mod pack..

Having an issue that I see has been reported before but supposedly fixed?
Drinks with out a storage unit appearing everywhere in my STILLS not brewery, really throwing me off since I keep thinking I have 2000+ drinks..

I have been using the plump helmet wine reaction and will be trying the vanilla one now but...can this be fixed?
Dwarf Fortress, a great game with an even better community!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6964 on: September 21, 2012, 10:52:53 am »

Legion dwarves will be rarer and not quite as awesome, berserkers are cut out completely. And they immediatly jump to legendary +5 (max) with the reaction if I am not mistaken.

Skill container are used in the creature research lab, to collect garbade produced by the "legendary skill reactions" It is a lot nicer in the alpha, using megabeast souls now :) You cant use them in adv. mode though.

Golem workshop needs magma and is only shown after you discovered a volcano or magmalake.

The guides are in the "guides & readmes" folder, the alpha does not have a complete manual yet, but you can have a look at it here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6946

@starhero: I fixed it in the alpha, it is a vanilla change, barrels cant hold 25 units of drinks.. really stupid that one, I had to change it to large pots. -.- It cant be fixed per se, not with barrels at least. It works with the large pots in the alpha though. :) It is really maddening, since toady can just cram 25 drinks in a barrel, but modders cant ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6965 on: September 21, 2012, 11:06:28 am »

Legion dwarves will be rarer and not quite as awesome, berserkers are cut out completely. And they immediatly jump to legendary +5 (max) with the reaction if I am not mistaken.
Legendary +5 is just the max level displayed by the game.
For some skills there is no benfit for levels over that but for combat skills there is.
Runesmith reported the real level for all skills in v31.X but I don't know how you would get it in v34.X.
My military dwarves got to Legendary+200 or greater in some skills after 40+ years of training and fighting sieges.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6966 on: September 21, 2012, 11:09:04 am »

I will test this, but my understanding is that lvl20 is maxed out, and that they get no benefits from more... if not.. wow. :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6967 on: September 21, 2012, 11:18:21 am »

I will test this, but my understanding is that lvl20 is maxed out, and that they get no benefits from more... if not.. wow. :)
This page from the wiki has a little more information on it.
In my experience military dwarves with skills well beyond Legendary+5 are much less likely to die in battle because they dodge much better and kill faster.
I don't notice much benefit for craftsdwarves other than a slight increase in masterwork production.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6968 on: September 21, 2012, 02:41:25 pm »

Legion dwarves will be rarer and not quite as awesome

This part is sad.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6969 on: September 21, 2012, 02:44:55 pm »

You think so? The army of two in the succession fort was enought to butcher any invasion. Not really balanced I'd say. :P

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6970 on: September 21, 2012, 02:48:02 pm »

You think so? The army of two in the succession fort was enought to butcher any invasion. Not really balanced I'd say. :P
You can do that with vanilla dwarves it just takes a few decades longer.
Sigtext

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6971 on: September 21, 2012, 03:12:53 pm »

Ehh, legendary vanilla dwarfs are not the same as legendary Legion dwarfs. Legion has a couple advantages that a regular dwarf just isn't gonna have.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6972 on: September 21, 2012, 03:16:42 pm »

I was only going by the "butcher a whole invasion with two dwarves" criteria.
You can get vanilla dwarves to be just as effective as Legion dwarves it just takes a lot longer.
Legion dwarves advantages let them get to the unstoppable stage a few decades faster.
Sigtext

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6973 on: September 22, 2012, 05:05:35 am »

Will be fixed with the next update i feel.... If enemies see how thei sieges are slaughtered by two dwarfs, they might just run by them (man, i hope that is how toady will do it :) )

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6974 on: September 22, 2012, 05:09:36 am »

Not true, MINE was never a legion dwarf, I just boosted him with a megabeast essence to legendary sworddwarf, and that's it. That let him live through a shitload of battles, and his other skills kind of caught up after a while.
But, yeah, I guess you are kind of right, Darkhawk from the succession fort is kind of a strong case for some much needed balancing.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!
Pages: 1 ... 463 464 [465] 466 467 ... 749