Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1835354 times)

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile

@Meph, think you could call the good/evil books something else than "Bible"? It doesn't fit well in DF's fantasy world. Maybe Tome of Light for the good one, and Tome of Evil or Necronomicon for the bad one? (a little Cthulu reference never hurts, I guess... at least I prefer it to references to the Christian mythos)

Another thing: in my current game (1.5) I'm pretty sure I disabled guns (I always do), but I'm still getting flintlock pistols, gunpowder recipes and other related stuff.

Lastly, it may very well be a vanilla DF bug, but I have a "hair amulet" lying around which dwarves refuse to stockpile. It's not forbidden and there are no burrow restrictions, I have idle haulers aplenty, I have finished goods stockpiles that between them cover all the possible types/materials of items. Yet they just leave it lying around.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Meph, think you could call the good/evil books something else than "Bible"? It doesn't fit well in DF's fantasy world. Maybe Tome of Light for the good one, and Tome of Evil or Necronomicon for the bad one? (a little Cthulu reference never hurts, I guess... at least I prefer it to references to the Christian mythos)

Another thing: in my current game (1.5) I'm pretty sure I disabled guns (I always do), but I'm still getting flintlock pistols, gunpowder recipes and other related stuff.

Lastly, it may very well be a vanilla DF bug, but I have a "hair amulet" lying around which dwarves refuse to stockpile. It's not forbidden and there are no burrow restrictions, I have idle haulers aplenty, I have finished goods stockpiles that between them cover all the possible types/materials of items. Yet they just leave it lying around.

"Bible" is a generic term for a religious book, "The Bible" is the religious book of the various branches of christianity.

also Meph, liking the new food additions, making cheese from something mined is very dwarfy.

about the magic, im actually quite fond of the current system, mages are basically super units with a high cost.... can you make a dwarf menial labor exempt, but able to join the military? sounds like mages/paladinesque dwarfs to me.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I figured out my food stockpile problem. The food should just go to a normal food stockpile, but it wasn't. I finally checked an item though and saw that it was owned by a dwarf, and a quick clean owned command from dfhack seems to have fixed it. I have no idea why the dwarves are claiming food and then not eating it though...could it be military dwarves who are mobilized while eating? If they do it again I'll check to see if its just military dwarves that have claimed and left food in the wrong stockpile.
That does sound like military dwarves claiming their meals, just turn off that in the military option. m->u I think, whatever the supplies button is. I always turn it off as they claim food and leave it lying around, then upgrade their food as higher quality meals get made, the same as they do with their gear. They don't need to eat that often though, and if they are eating from their backpack they won't get a happy thought from using a dining room.

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is anyone having trouble getting dorfs to stock medical stockpiles?

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Less than two minutes later, I finally found the unusual source of the problem. I had an empty "bedroom" created from one of the beds to prevent non-ill dorfs from sleeping there. Apparently this conflicts with the (i) hospital zone, because when I freed the "bedroom" my dorfs ran to fill the hospital. Hooray. :)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Bible" is a generic term for a religious book, "The Bible" is the religious book of the various branches of christianity.

Still, calling the book "Bible" carries a lot of Christian connotations, which just calling the Good Book a "Tome" and the Evil Book a "Grimoire" wouldn't. On a similar note, mentioning Al Capone, Daedra from the Elder Scrolls, Poseidon, and so on really... ruins the immersion for me. I think porting ideas from history and from fantasy settings is fine, but citing specific Earth mythology and historical figures, and the creations of other fantasy worlds, really breaks from the spirit of DF, with it's rich generation of original histories, and strongly Not Earth world-feel.

That aside, this looks really nice, and I'd like to commend you on a pretty extensive and well-built mod. Much Kudos!

Seraphyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have nothing against using Bible as a name for items. I mean the mod DOES add religion, and even though when mentioning Bible you probably think to Christianity it still kind of fits.

Buttttt, I think calling it a Tome and Grimoire sounds much better and cooler.

Also loving all the building guides, they are very helpful.

Question about the stakes in the Engineer's workshop, what does making them heavier do? I imagine they are piercing weapons that pop out of the ground so what exactly would that do? Also, I've seen other civs making rams out of materials other than wood, how come this is not possible for the dwarves? And if we buy those metal rams and upgrade them with plating is that going to make the game explode?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 05:07:14 am by Seraphyx »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

Names for the new 'Bibles' (personally I don't care as I'm christian and I don't instantly think the 'bible' is a ref to christianty, it's just a name for a book damnit)

Holy Bible:
Tome of Light - Mentioned by someone else
Chronicles of Life
Spirits and Redemption
Lightened Tunnel
Tome of Lucifer (no not satan, ORIGIN Latin, 'light-bringing, morning star')

Evil Bible:
Book of the Dead
Darkness at Bay
Necromancy for Dummies
Angels and Demons - this could almost fit for both books, altho there is a lack of angels in DF so no idea if it fits
Darkness Within
Blood Rituals

mglarev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is anyone having trouble getting dorfs to stock medical stockpiles?

I have no problems here:

Checklist:

• You have a assigned medical dwarf?
  • You have the things to stockpile?
  • You have enough (>8 ) chests in the hospital?

Undeadlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Has anyone been having weird graphical errors on this newer version of DF and Masterwork? Not sure were the problem is coming from, DF or Masterwork, but it happens on multiple machines and only using TT fonts, either the new one or the original. The built in font has no problems when not in TT mode.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/415895/DFerror1.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/415895/DFerror2.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/415895/DFerror3.png

Not game breaking, but very annoying.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah I have and a few other people have as well, if you fullscreen on and off with F11 it fixes it temporarily, Meph has said it's a Phoebus issue rather than a Masterwork one.

Undeadlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah yes, I just was over reading the the Phoebus thread, hopefully it can get fixed soon. So annoying :)

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile

Also finished two more building guides, timberyard and engineer. They are not remotely as nice as the ones done by flobulon, but by now I managed to do 29 buildings. :)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meph, your building guides are wonderful.  My only question is, other than this forum, where can I find them?  I do not see them in the wiki.

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page

Under the 'Guides & Readmes' folder in your Masterwork directory.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Names for the new 'Bibles' (personally I don't care as I'm christian and I don't instantly think the 'bible' is a ref to christianty, it's just a name for a book damnit)

"Bible" is a christian thing. Although it can be used in other ways, this is even the primary definition of the word in the dictionary, and what immediately comes to mind for most people - especially ones who aren't from a christian culture. It's all in the perspective. If you're christian, bible is synonymous with "your holy book." If you're not, bible is synonymous with "the book of the christian religion."

Tome of Lucifer (no not satan, ORIGIN Latin, 'light-bringing, morning star')

The origin is in fact the hebrew helel ("shining one") translated via other languages from the book of Isaiah originally to the bible and it is very much a term of the judaic/christian religions, used virtually nowhere else.

I'd prefer keeping real-life religions out of dwarf fortress for the most part, I mean what's next, goblins dropping a "Quran?" ("It only means 'Recitation' which is generic!") Please no.

Other titles for religious works might be,

"Teachings of High Priest Urist"
"Scriptures of Prophet Colthan"
"Revealed Wisdom of the Circle of Gathwad"
"Esoteric Secrets of goblin cultist Grushnak"
"Divine Revelations of Urgoth"
etc.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 11:39:32 am by Dwarf_Fever »
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 749