Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A use for refuse  (Read 5225 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: A use for refuse
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 05:21:54 am »

I like the idea of Animal Fertilizer. 

Isn't the word for the Animal Fertilizer, that birds eat in the winter called, Suet? I bet Captain Duck would like some Suet to feed his ducks.  I can just imagine his video.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 11:00:09 am »

What if you could mash it up and turn it into animal feed at a farmers workshop? Any three refuse animal items can be made into three units of livestock feed, which can be brought to food animals and it makes them fatter and thus they give more meat? I dunno, it could kinda work like animal fertilizer.

Or could be used on maps where there is no vegetation

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 11:08:29 am »

That is what we call forage. Perhaps we could buy it from carrot eaters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 11:24:53 am »

I like the idea of Animal Fertilizer. 

Isn't the word for the Animal Fertilizer, that birds eat in the winter called, Suet? I bet Captain Duck would like some Suet to feed his ducks.  I can just imagine his video.

Sincerely,
Knutor

Suet is actually raw beef or mutton fat, usually the hard fat from around the kidneys and loins. It's used to make scottish fruit puddings and dumplings which are very tasty.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 04:47:34 am »

There is no reason a bee hive can't be underground, other than the underground flying bug, bug.  No reason, whatsoever.  One of those things I guess, like.. pigs flying and dogs talking.  Bees don't need sunlight to live.  Just its warmth.

Sincerely,
Knutor

Yes there is, they need flowers to make honey. I think Toady mentioned it on the devlog when he had just implemented bees... Yeah, here it is:
"We don't have flowers yet -- just a requirement that bees be kept adjacent to an open outside tile."
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 08:52:15 am »

Come on you know us.
We would end up sacrificing cats and elves to boost the farms.
What's the problem with that?

There is no reason a bee hive can't be underground, other than the underground flying bug, bug.  No reason, whatsoever.  One of those things I guess, like.. pigs flying and dogs talking.  Bees don't need sunlight to live.  Just its warmth.

Sincerely,
Knutor

Yes there is, they need flowers to make honey. I think Toady mentioned it on the devlog when he had just implemented bees... Yeah, here it is:
"We don't have flowers yet -- just a requirement that bees be kept adjacent to an open outside tile."
Then we obviously need to make underground flowers.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2012, 10:35:04 am »

Come on you know us.
We would end up sacrificing cats and elves to boost the farms.
What's the problem with that?

Sincerely,
Knutor

Then we obviously need to make underground flowers.

You could even have special cave bees.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 05:57:18 pm »

Eerie glowing bees.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 09:02:40 am »

The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 11:13:05 pm »

That is what we call forage. Perhaps we could buy it from carrot eaters.
No vegetation. No plants to forage ;p

Eerie glowing bees.
Sigged.
Coined it! Ha ha ty :)
Pages: 1 [2]