Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: New release: will the wait be worth it for fortress mode players?  (Read 4967 times)

redsector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I've been reading the development blog regularly for about half a year, but the majority of stuff currently in development seems to be centered around adventure mode.

I absolutely love fortress mode, one of the best games I've ever played, but I'm not interested in adventure mode at all, so I'm beginning to wonder if all my excitement for a new release will actually be worth it in the end, or if I will be completely disappointed when it's finally coming out (which should be some time soon, or so I've heard).

So I'm asking you: will there be any significant changes or new features in fortress mode? And, more importantly, will there be bug fixes for major issues like the broken dungeon master and other nobles, claimed items cluttering up the whole fortress after a few years, maybe some interface updates for stockpiles or the creature list, etc.? As I said, I've been reading the news and all that, but there seems to be a lot of insider stuff floating around the forums as well - changes that haven't been mentioned anywhere official, yet seem to be confirmed for the new release.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not demanding anything. Not at all. I know the game is Toady's personal playground and I greatly appreciate the fact that he's letting us have our fun with it, too, and even free of charge. I would just like to know if it's worth it to continue checking the development blog in anticipation of the new release, or if I should just go "well, it's only adventure mode features anyway, might as well wait a few more months for the next release after that one".

Regards
rs

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New release: will the wait be worth it for fortress mode players?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 08:11:18 am »

Vampires, werebeasts, and necromancer attacks will all affect fortress mode. I think there's also some trade-related stuff being done.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 08:53:38 am »

If you can still embark on top of towns, yeah it'll pay off for us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 09:13:13 am »

Adventure mode and Fortress mode come hand in hand, it'll be BRILLIANT for both :P

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 09:52:56 am »

Do not expect many bug fixes in the next release. They will happen in the short series of releases after it.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 10:10:42 am »

Personally, I'm liking the attention Toady is giving to adventure mode. It will turn out to be something like Unreal World, of course awesomer. And moddable. Think about it.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 02:22:06 pm »

As I said, I've been reading the news and all that, but there seems to be a lot of insider stuff floating around the forums as well - changes that haven't been mentioned anywhere official, yet seem to be confirmed for the new release.

Like what?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 02:28:13 pm »

It's also possible that the changes he's putting in to allow interactions will spill over to fortress mode in one way or another (not sure just how much, but that's the basis for the were creatures and vampirism, right?)

The modding potential is quite impressive, I'd say, but if you're not interested in mods then I guess it's not so amazing.  The vampires and new hammerer at least should make things a tad more interesting.

Oh, and multi-level designations.  Very happy to see that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 02:36:58 pm »

I like how the first time adventure mode gets focused on even partially some people are wondering if Toady's 'abandoning' fortress mode

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 02:39:39 pm »

So I've been reading the development blog regularly for about half a year, but the majority of stuff currently in development seems to be centered around adventure mode.

I absolutely love fortress mode, one of the best games I've ever played, but I'm not interested in adventure mode at all, so I'm beginning to wonder if all my excitement for a new release will actually be worth it in the end, or if I will be completely disappointed when it's finally coming out (which should be some time soon, or so I've heard).

So I'm asking you: will there be any significant changes or new features in fortress mode? And, more importantly, will there be bug fixes for major issues like the broken dungeon master and other nobles, claimed items cluttering up the whole fortress after a few years, maybe some interface updates for stockpiles or the creature list, etc.? As I said, I've been reading the news and all that, but there seems to be a lot of insider stuff floating around the forums as well - changes that haven't been mentioned anywhere official, yet seem to be confirmed for the new release.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not demanding anything. Not at all. I know the game is Toady's personal playground and I greatly appreciate the fact that he's letting us have our fun with it, too, and even free of charge. I would just like to know if it's worth it to continue checking the development blog in anticipation of the new release, or if I should just go "well, it's only adventure mode features anyway, might as well wait a few more months for the next release after that one".

Regards
rs
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1u8jibE1TV7BAwAI2b4TzRkWFlBboLiXMrVBhYmDYPhI&pli=1 Patch Notes.

In short, yes! And every release contains bug fixes. They'll probably be around 10-20 bug fixes for this release (Ass in older bugs, Toady doesnt list the bugs quashed during the devolopment cycle in the change log. Justs notes them in the dev. blog.) , maybe more but that the historical range.

There will be some trading screen improvements, and creature list improvements. And we have a conformation that optimization will be taking place, so the new additions wont be slowing down the game to much, and might even see some speed improvement.

I like how the first time adventure mode gets focused on even partially some people are wondering if Toady's 'abandoning' fortress mode
Well, the this long release cycle, does make it feel like it.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 03:24:32 pm »

Honastly, if we get to imbark near/on towns, the fun shall be endless.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 03:27:50 pm »

Honastly, if we get to imbark near/on towns, the fun shall be endless.
You haven't been allowed to embark near/on towns for a few releases now. *I* think there is a mod floating out there, that'll let you do so anyway.

Even then, I dont think a lot of fun will be hard, I suspect, it just wont work out to be playable.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 03:30:25 pm »

Judging by the patchnotes mentioning of the Hammerer being an appointable position, I think it's safe to assume baronobles are fixed in the next release.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 03:34:17 pm »

I'm pretty excited for both modes myself. Adventure mode has a lot of potential in it but right now it's just so unfinished I can never bring me to play it.
Here's hoping the two game modes will start being more intertwined. I'd love to just switch to adventure mode once I make a fortress, controle my fav dwarf, and when I come back to the fortress after a good adventure switch back to fort mode.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2011, 03:44:13 pm »

I don't know if we get the DM fixed now...
And I would like to see those owned items stored properly :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: [1] 2 3 4