Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Very Important Dorf  (Read 1324 times)

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Very Important Dorf
« on: December 20, 2011, 01:36:54 pm »

So this is a bit of a large suggestion.

Firstly, renaming the highest skill levels away from "Legendary". Nothing comes to mind at the moment.
Secondly, strange moods are disabled for normal dorfs. Possessions are ok though.

When dwarves reach a particularly high skill in a 'legendaryable' skill (not all skills should allow legendary status), there is the possibility of them getting inspired with a strange mood. These strange moods should be one of those complicated ones which needs 10 items or whatever. Provided that the dorf doesn't go crazy, he'll be bestowed the title of legendary dwarf, and have a legendary skill in whatever it is he mooded.

Once a dorf is a legend, there are some other changes. For one, he is treated as a noble, and will have noble demands.  Originally they will start off small, but as he increases in skill he will want more luxurious property. He will also make mandates which he expects to do himself (so a legendary armoursmith will mandate armour he's interested in to be made).

If his mood drops, instead of throwing a tantrum or getting people arrested, he'll just leave. He'll move off the map taking his family with him and just.. disappears. Obviously you can integrate it with history and he wanders around, settles in other cities et cetera - becomes an important historical figure.

On the upside, if your fortress produces many items of a particular type, you can get a legendary dorf  come in similar to how nobles come.

I think this'll add an additional dynamic to the game. Right now people barely tolerate nobles, but you'll have to suck up to these Very Important Dorfs if you want to keep their services.
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
Re: Very Important Dorf
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 03:34:24 pm »

It could actually make people want to be nice to them, because they have a valuable skill to offer. other than maiming your bone carver because he couldn't get chicken tooth figurines, current nobles don't do much.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 04:30:31 pm »

As the benevolent god-king I am, I'm already nice to nobles....Hmm, nice might not be the proper word. I tolerate nobles. I don't need all of my legendary growers getting upset over pretentious burial arrangements as well.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 04:46:38 pm »

Growing shouldn't be legendary-able in my opinion. Nobody wants to hear the story of Urst mc Farmer who grew giant plumb helmets.

And legends would be rareish. You won't have 5 or 6 of each type.
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 05:30:04 pm »

Growing shouldn't be legendary-able in my opinion. Nobody wants to hear the story of Urst mc Farmer who grew giant plumb helmets.

But I want to hear the story of Urist McGreenBeard who brewed a mountain of pig tail fibre soup and plump helmet roasts with nought but a single strand of beard and a plot of land surrounded by magma.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 01:29:22 am »

Well there are certain skills that would require a specific special result. For instance, growing might mean that crops give a hugher yield. Or fishing might mean that you catch cathulu. You are forgeting though that the great thing about moods is that they instantly make your dwarfs legendary.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 01:40:08 am »

Well there are certain skills that would require a specific special result. For instance, growing might mean that crops give a hugher yield. Or fishing might mean that you catch cathulu. You are forgeting though that the great thing about moods is that they instantly make your dwarfs legendary.

I was going to tell you how you misspelled the great tentacled one, but then it occurred to me.

How awesome would it be if your legendary fisherdwarf catched carpthulhu?

And we can generally assume strange moods are the Dwarf equivalent of the red blue, or the blue pill.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 02:23:41 am »

Not a legendary-able skill?! Then how am I supposed to justify giving all those legendary growers awesome profession names, like Plant whisperer or Life Crafter??

I need those 3 different bone carvers, even if only one does most of the actual carving. Else I'll lose the feeling of superiority gained from knowing if my legendary whatever dies, they can easily be replaced. Then my ego will have to resort to only feeding on the pride gained from all the other things I feel superior about.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 08:56:00 pm »

I like the idea of normal dwarves still having moods. A no-good soaper who makes his place in the fortress by making a legendary figurine or something? Sweet. I do like the idea of legendary skill levels really meaning something more than master.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.