Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oddities  (Read 973 times)

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oddities
« on: December 18, 2011, 06:24:02 am »

Quote from: Toady One
fixed some catacombs that managed to exit out into the ocean and fill with water.

Actually, that sounds cool to encounter on occasion. It might be interesting to allow features to interact in bizarre ways, as an exception. Water-filled dungeons are one example. Others: submerged cities, temples, graveyards. Cities with only one road. Cities consisting of one huge building. Cities on steep walls. Underground and aboveground cities on top of each other. Etc.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: Oddities
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 08:25:58 am »

Is that a suggestion?
When one tile is connected to a infinite water source the WHOLE Dungeon will flood rendering it useless for an adventurer.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 02:18:49 am »

Glad he's fixed that.  However, I agree with the Silverionmox.  Some submerged water effects would be really interesting, instead of the staple 7/7 pool.  I'd love a submerged streams, to build a submerged waterwheels on at some point.

This sorta implies Toady's nerfing flow-off-the-region fortified drains.  *shucks*  Hope he doesn't do that.  Not really sure what else to do with water, if that's removed.  Pump stacks are design intensive for the casual gamer. 

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 12:32:45 pm »

Is that a suggestion?
When one tile is connected to a infinite water source the WHOLE Dungeon will flood rendering it useless for an adventurer.
Some place ought to be pretty much unreachable for the passing adventurer. See it as an interesting puzzle without an out-of-the-box easy solution. And water breathing effects are a staple in magic systems anyway nowadays. Or we could have bladders full of air. We'll still need a solution for the light. If necessary, you can always dig it out.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 12:35:18 pm »

I'd love a submerged streams, to build a submerged waterwheels on at some point.

I'm not entirely sure you know how a waterwheel works. You can't exactly submerge the whole thing!
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 04:24:38 pm »

I'd love a submerged streams, to build a submerged waterwheels on at some point.

I'm not entirely sure you know how a waterwheel works. You can't exactly submerge the whole thing!
says a person who plays a game where we can link a waterwheel to it's own power source.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 09:16:09 pm »

There being limitations to the system isn't an excuse to make even fewer parts of the system sensible.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 10:25:55 pm »

it could be he's simply set it so that it doesn't connect caves in ocean areas to the caverns, or, the offscreen citybuilding reacts to the presence of shorelines rhatert than placing buildings on underwater tiles.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 11:32:09 pm »

i love this idea. i'd love to sea a city that had a wall that was 20z levels high.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 01:40:47 pm »

Ha!  I guess it did read like that is what meant.  Knutor bonks self with a wet noodle  I meant a subterranean stream or brook.  I really hope that is put in, before the map edge fortified drains are taken out.  Otherwise, some of the designs I use, and find very enjoyable, will be inadvertently nerfed in the process.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.