Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nobles and happiness  (Read 1138 times)

stickman_kenobi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nobles and happiness
« on: December 16, 2011, 07:11:55 am »

How do you keep nobles happy beside just caving to their thrice damned demands and mandates?
Also, how do you keep them occupied. (eg: I know the Hammerer is supposed to do something specific, but I'm not sure what and how to make him do it)

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nobles and happiness
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 07:26:37 am »

Meet their needs for housing, offices, etc.should cut back how many demands and mandates they make. A noble will automatically perform their job if it comes up normally, sometimes another job (eg. hauling) will take priority though so you might have to disable everything to get them in their place. Otherwise, the usual stuff can keep them in a good mood, good bedrooms, dining rooms, high quality meals, nice places to relax (eg. statue gardens), mist, etc. watch out for jealousy, some nobles get upset if someone who isn't a noble has a better room than they do.
sometimes they'll still make demands and mandates, keep them met and you'll have no problems, if you fail one, someone goes to jail and the hammerer may beat them for a bit. If you don't have a prison I think that may upset the nobles too, though, so I wouldn't advise avoiding this by not having a prison.

stickman_kenobi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 11:49:25 pm »

how do I make a prison?

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 12:39:14 am »

how do I make a prison?

set up a cage or a rope, and toggle it.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 02:26:30 am »

how do I make a prison?

What kind of prison do you want?  Do you want a damp room filled with cages to teach your dwarves humility for failing to uphold to the will of the most glorious among them?  On the other hand, you can build a prison that is more like a vacation for the prisoners.

For the former, dig out a room.  Fill the room with cages.  Assign the room to be a prison from said cages.  In order to eat/drink, another dwarf will have to bring their needs.  Dwarves leave the jail very unhappy because of the lack of booze and bed.

For the latter, build 3x3 rooms.  Masterfully engrave said rooms.  Build a masterwork bed, gold/platinum door, gold/plat table, gold/plat chair, and gold/plat chain. Put the chain in the middle of the 3x3.  Around it you will want the bed, table, chair, a 2x1 food only stockpile and a 2x1 alcohol only stockpile.  Set the door to internal.  Assign the room to a prison via the chain.  While much harder to put together, your dwarves will leave prison ecstatic.

nutzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 09:56:42 am »

Prisons are usually more trouble than it's worth IMO. I lose more useful dwarves from starvation/dehydration while in prison than I lose "useful" nobles. I just ignore the sheriff/CoG and justice system all together and ignore all mandates and I do just fine.

My mayor usually has an unhappy thought or two from delayed punishment and ignored mandates, but is still happy or better on the whole. I honor all room requirements and demands and I haven't lost a noble to insanity yet---not that I would mind.

Of course, if you want to appease the nobles and use the justice system the recommendations geail made are good. I've done it that way before, but I was annoyed with my dwarves stealing food and booze and beds from the prison and I still had problems satisfying some idiot's fine pewter fetish.

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 10:05:55 am »

I barricaded all of my nobles in a big room with barely any food, no booze, a well and a big stack of weapons in the middle. Needless to say, I don't worry about nobles any more :P

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 10:51:27 am »

Prisons are usually more trouble than it's worth IMO. I lose more useful dwarves from starvation/dehydration while in prison ...
I never had one chained prisonner die of thirst/hunger.
But I never had one caged prisonner survive, either.

The little morons simply WON'T bring food to caged prisonners in my forts. but they'll do it for chained convicts.
If you want your prisonners to survive, build chains, not cages!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 01:08:51 pm »

When I make a prison, I always place stockpiles of food and drink in the 3x3 area around the chain, and make sure it always has food and booze.  Then the prisoner can get his own food and drink.  If circumstances arrange, I'll put a well in one of the adjacent tiles as well so there will always be a supply of water.

Of course, the preferred solution is to pick dwarves with material preferences you can easily meet.  What's that, Urist McHauler?  You like pig tail cloth?  Congratulations on your promotion to Baron!
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 02:51:21 pm »

I make my prisons as lavish as possible, after all, it helps to rehabilitate miserable and tantruming dwarves :P