Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tin can armour - Update: 14/12/11: IT BEGINS!  (Read 6326 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tin can armour - Update: 14/12/11: IT BEGINS!
« on: December 14, 2011, 09:35:16 am »

So, without going into detail Winter is a bad time for me so I usually take up a project to keep my mind occupied. This year, I have decided to put the ungodly amount of energy drinks I go through to use and craft a suit of armour out of their cans. Why, you ask? In return I ask, why not?

It will be awesome.

Also, I'm going to be hyperlinking my images because my phone's camera has the highest resolution this side of my front door and I can't be bothered resizing :P

Spoiler: 14/12/11: IT BEGINS! (click to show/hide)

Check back often to see how I progress! If it goes well, I'm thinking I might try to make a shield out of it, and possibly an axe/sword (blunted, of course).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 03:46:51 pm by Chattox »
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

yamgrenade

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels task: Is a Dumba**
    • View Profile
Re: My Winter Project - Armour
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 09:36:38 am »

I look forward to this very much  :D

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 09:43:22 am »

I know nothing about armor, but I suggest making something that's flexible, and similar to that in appearance to that move 300's spartan armor.

Still, you know better than me, so if you don't find this to your liking, feel free to disregard this.

Awaiting the moment you post a picture of the alpha-version of the armor.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 09:56:31 am »

My initial idea is something like this, only with, you know, tin cans. I have a massive assortment of cans at the moment, so I'll probably even make some kind of pattern out of the colours of the cans. Drawing up plans as we speak, I'll make a small patch out of some other material (probably paper or something, just as proof of concept) and post pics of that later today, hopefully.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

OddTheTall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 10:24:22 am »

Lamellar or some form of jack-of-plates would probably be best. The main issue I can think of with lamellar is that drinks cans are pretty thin and the edges are sharp. This would likely cut the lacing or worse, the user.
Jack of plates or brigandine might be a decent option.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 10:31:57 am »

Lamellar or some form of jack-of-plates would probably be best. The main issue I can think of with lamellar is that drinks cans are pretty thin and the edges are sharp. This would likely cut the lacing or worse, the user.
Jack of plates or brigandine might be a decent option.

Yes, I realised that the thinness of the cans and the sharpness of the edges would be a problem, so I'm going to double or triple up the plates, and fold over the edges, maybe hammer them down or sand off the corners, too. I have a whole workshop to go at, I'll see what I can do :P

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 11:18:15 am »

License plate armor is fun, I've always wanted to make some.

Instead of using aluminum drink cans, you could use steel soup/vegetable cans. They will produce a stiffer panel with less deformation if you cut out both the top and bottom of the can before flattening them.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 11:26:22 am »

Instead of using aluminum drink cans, you could use steel soup/vegetable cans. They will produce a stiffer panel with less deformation if you cut out both the top and bottom of the can before flattening them.

While this would possibly be better, my family don't go through nearly enough food cans for me to finish this project in a timely fashion :P

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 03:03:36 pm »

Interesting. We have another armorsmith on the forums :)
I hope the pictures will come soon.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 03:35:01 pm »

I have some pictures ready, what is the recommended image uploader these days? It's been donkeys years since I uploaded a picture to anything other than Facebook.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 03:37:52 pm »

Imgur is good and fast, and you don't need to register if you don't want to either.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 03:39:13 pm »

same for img.ie

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tin can armour - Update: 14/12/11: IT BEGINS!
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 03:47:26 pm »

Updated OP with today's update and images. Enjoy!

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 03:57:06 pm »

You the images are too big you can just change the image tag to resize it. The tag would look like this: [img width=800] and it would be 800 pixels wide.

I'll need to keep an eye out for updates. If you do go for the Lameller armor, I would try and get a hold of at least some leather to act as a buffer between you and the metal. If you get hit you don't want the metal to go straight into you.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 03:58:31 pm »

You the images are too big you can just change the image tag to resize it. The tag would look like this: [img width=800] and it would be 800 pixels wide.

I'll need to keep an eye out for updates. If you do go for the Lameller armor, I would try and get a hold of at least some leather to act as a buffer between you and the metal. If you get hit you don't want the metal to go straight into you.

This is entirely cosmetic, not going to be used as actual armour :P I'm rolling the edges of the cans aswell, otherwise I essentially have a shirt made of razorblades. :P
Pages: [1] 2