Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Enemies dodging through solid walls?  (Read 3267 times)

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Enemies dodging through solid walls?
« on: December 11, 2011, 02:23:40 am »

Can enemies dodge traps through solid walls? I had some goblins going through my trap corridor inside my base and 2 of them dodged/were hit but survived some weapon traps and ended up inside my fort as if they were forced through a wall. I reloaded and reinforced the corridor with 2 more walls (making a 3-wall thick corridor instead of 1-wall thick) and it stopped happening. All who went in died, the rest retreated/were finished off by a soldier. Is this common DF behavior? I'd like to know if this is indeed a possible bug or if I simply had an FPS skip due to too many traps firing and that goblin just want through all of the traps.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 02:27:03 am by vassock »

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: Enemies dodging through solid walls?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 03:10:48 am »

Can enemies dodge traps through solid walls? I had some goblins going through my trap corridor inside my base and 2 of them dodged/were hit but survived some weapon traps and ended up inside my fort as if they were forced through a wall. I reloaded and reinforced the corridor with 2 more walls (making a 3-wall thick corridor instead of 1-wall thick) and it stopped happening. All who went in died, the rest retreated/were finished off by a soldier. Is this common DF behavior? I'd like to know if this is indeed a possible bug or if I simply had an FPS skip due to too many traps firing and that goblin just want through all of the traps.

1) Attacks can be dodged *UP* one zlevel, so they can end up on top of the wall.
+
2) Unit can dodge one tile per attack. If your weapon trap has 10 weapons, goblin can easily leap 10 tiles.

Id suggest roofing over trap coridors.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 03:17:52 am »

1) Attacks can be dodged *UP* one zlevel, so they can end up on top of the wall.
+
2) Unit can dodge one tile per attack. If your weapon trap has 10 weapons, goblin can easily leap 10 tiles.

Id suggest roofing over trap coridors.

This was inside my fortress and there is a floor one z-level up above the entire corridor. And yes, the traps had 10 weapons each.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 08:35:09 am »

Pics?

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 03:07:28 pm »

This was inside my fortress and there is a floor one z-level up above the entire corridor. And yes, the traps had 10 weapons each.

Gotta watch out for those ninjas.

In addition to sometimes dodging so hard they pass through walls and ceilings without crossing the intervening space, ninjas temporarily forget that they cannot fly while dodging and will attempt to quantum backflip out over empty space. A weapon trap near a tall cliff will cause mass ninja suicide.

Ninja enemies will also try to teleport inside fortifications, often becoming stuck and dying so their miasma acts as a final bit of revenge.

Understanding the rules of DF ninjitsu makes it possible to build ninja traps, ninja storage warehouses, ninja processing units or even reverse ninja traps that release expendable evil ninjas to battle your enemies.

Note that the flows of ninja energy are easiest to control when you only place one weapon in each trap.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 09:00:44 pm »

moveing out of a wall i have seen befor.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 06:30:10 pm »

Can a dev or someone who really knows how the game mechanics work tell me if it is indeed possible for enemies to move through walls within an enclosed (airtight) corridor?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 06:46:13 pm »

Did you see the goblin dodge through the wall?
Because it just might be possible that your goblin just found a hole in your wall and never entered your corridor.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 07:56:15 pm »

There's no way to see a goblin dodge through a wall. In DF, goblins are little art blocks that appear in one place at one step and in another place the next step. I thought the goblin cleared my trap corridor a little too quickly and safely given the number of 10x weapon traps there. The only thing I can think of is that too many trap execution instances fired off at once, the game FPS dropped like a brick for a second or two, and then the game "caught up" and I just didn't see the "steps" the goblin took to clear my trap corridor in the conventional way. Failing that, he dodged through a wall. That's why I wanted someone who knows about DF programming mechanics to tell me if that's truly possible in an airtight environment.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 12:23:43 am »

I believe that currently there is a bug where sometimes dwarves/gobbos/other creatures will dodge to places that are normally inaccessible, yes. If I remember correctly there was even a thread a while back because someone had crowded too many animals into their surface building, making the resulting fighting causing dwarves to jump through the roofs and get stranded on the top. I don't know if the next release will fix the bug or not though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 01:55:20 am »

There's no way to see a goblin dodge through a wall. In DF, goblins are little art blocks that appear in one place at one step and in another place the next step. I thought the goblin cleared my trap corridor a little too quickly and safely given the number of 10x weapon traps there. The only thing I can think of is that too many trap execution instances fired off at once, the game FPS dropped like a brick for a second or two, and then the game "caught up" and I just didn't see the "steps" the goblin took to clear my trap corridor in the conventional way. Failing that, he dodged through a wall. That's why I wanted someone who knows about DF programming mechanics to tell me if that's truly possible in an airtight environment.

DF FPS is synchronous, there is no catching up when it drops and then raises again, game just slows down and speeds up.

Also, if you have coridor like this:
Code: [Select]
########
^^^^^^^^^^
########

Goblin *CAN* clear it by simply hitting first trap and dodging each attack because it will make him dodge right past all other nine traps, no wall-teleport needed.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 02:03:05 am »

I typically use a danger room with a single 1x1 repeating traing spear trap with 10 spears. Multiple dodges would make the dwarves end up quite a ways down the hallway outside, but they never went through the walls themselves.

No teleporter for you  :'(.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 12:43:07 am »

Okay, so it's probably better to keep one weapon per trap and no more or have a weapon trap with 10 weapons but space it 10 squares away from the next weapon trap.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 12:47:50 am »

They dodge each weapon individually, but that all strike at the same time. You can effectively move up to 10 squares instantly (maybe 30 if it's discs or spiked balls), but none of those would make the dwarf go through something it normally would not. Placing the traps 10 squares apart means the dwarf could land anywhere in between, and then there's the chance the dwarf could slam into a wall instead of going to an empty space.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 12:53:14 am »

They dodge each weapon individually, but that all strike at the same time. You can effectively move up to 10 squares instantly (maybe 30 if it's discs or spiked balls), but none of those would make the dwarf go through something it normally would not. Placing the traps 10 squares apart means the dwarf could land anywhere in between, and then there's the chance the dwarf could slam into a wall instead of going to an empty space.

I'm talking about killing enemies, not training dwarfs.
Pages: [1] 2