Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27

Author Topic: Tribes:Ascend - Free to play FPS with ludicrous speed  (Read 36221 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tribes:Ascend Beta
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 03:17:33 am »

Ah. Okay. Thanks. I sent the keys out to Twiggi and lavenders2.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 03:20:39 am »

Yessss, infect more people :p

Those "closed" beta have to be the most clever marketing scheme ever.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 03:23:07 am by Drakale »

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 03:44:19 am »

Spare Key?
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 03:45:48 am »

Ah. Okay. Thanks. I sent the keys out to Twiggi and lavenders2.
Got it and it worked. The game is downloading now.
Although I can't find the 2 beta keys your meant to receive. Do you have to download the game first? The spot where the play button should be is instead busy, probably because the game is downloading. Also, I can see this becoming a gold mine, so we should get a list of people who want keys and give them out from the top of the list to the bottom, and eventually bay 12's infection will be complete. And then the beta will end and I will be like
:( <---- Sad face
Drakale, you should add that list in your first post, it will help people like me who are trying to give keys to the next people in line.
Spare Key?
Wait till we get some keys out to the people who asked for em first and then someone will probably give you one
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 03:47:13 am »

Despite not having played the original games, this looks pretty damn cool. Although I'm kind of doubting how good I'll be considering everyone is flying around on jetpacks half of the time :P
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 03:48:37 am »

Despite not having played the original games, this looks pretty damn cool. Although I'm kind of doubting how good I'll be considering everyone is flying around on jetpacks half of the time :P

They seem to have simplified the game... HEAVILY... giving weapons large radius and explosive capabilities or some other way to ensure that hitting your target, or another one, is much easier. Plus the "sniping" weapons have been heavily relaxed as well.

So it should be much easier for you this time around. You won't have to use as much skill as the first tribes required you to.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 03:55:05 am by Neonivek »

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 04:16:04 am »

They seem to have simplified the game... HEAVILY... giving weapons large radius and explosive capabilities or some other way to ensure that hitting your target, or another one, is much easier. Plus the "sniping" weapons have been heavily relaxed as well.

So it should be much easier for you this time around. You won't have to use as much skill as the first tribes required you to.

Thats kind of a good thing though. The skill cap in the first few tribes was MASSIVE

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 04:19:10 am »

Mmh I cannot judge how it is compared to the original tribe since I never played it, but if you are worried about the game having a low skill cap, I don't feel like that is the case at all. Mid air kills with the fusor are pretty hard to do but oh-so satisfying.

Drakale, you should add that list in your first post, it will help people like me who are trying to give keys to the next people in line.

Good idea.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 04:44:24 am »

The original game had jetpacks and fake-skiing everywhere.  That was back when players realized that tapping "jump" fast enough would cause you to coast down slopes at high speed - in future games skiing was made into an official feature.  Jetpacks have a cooldown (or they always did) that let you fly a certain length of time and then it would overheat/discharge and you'd need to let it redo.  For the "scout" class, you could feasibly taking a running jump off a tower and fly away, expending all your energy but gaining enough during freefall to cushion your landing and avoid splattering.  Meanwhile assault classes would usually need to expend all of their jetpack to move up a medium hill (small exaggeration, but just a small one).  It wasn't a case of everyone flying around all the time, you had to be tactical with your thrusts, and mis-thrusting could see you walking awkwardly or falling to your dead.  The spinfusor was a prime weapon to use against jetpacks because of the high blast radius.  It became rather easy to shoot where someone was going to land, and a skill to coordinate the strike to the landing and get an insta-kill.  Meanwhile sniper lasers and chainguns did a fair job of getting rid of people who were in flight.

It balanced itself fairly well.  Flying was very important, but not overpowered.  Instead of flying it was more "bunny hopping" and that left you vulnerably plenty.  Not to mention vehicles did a great job of chasing you down, and the missile-armed scout ships were faster than some missiles and capable on ramming attacks that would easily destroy bunkered turrets, not to mention let you ram someone who was running if you could pull off the strike.  So much fun~

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2011, 04:46:59 am »

i played the original tribes up until i got this computer (2010). then win 7 would not let me play it (even with correct patches). good times.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2011, 04:52:46 am »

Do you have to download the game first? The spot where the play button should be is instead busy, probably because the game is downloading.

Yes and yes there.

:(

It's a freemium game, so you can still play for free after the beta ends.

Edit: Although this is the first freemium game that has tempted me to spend money. I spent all this time playing and so far have gotten enough tokens to buy about 1/10 of one of the most expensive classes. Lucky it seems they have a sale system or something? Because two classes are marked way way down right now.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 04:55:26 am by Criptfeind »

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2011, 04:58:19 am »

It's a freemium game, so you can still play for free after the beta ends.

Edit: Although this is the first freemium game that has tempted me to spend money. I spent all this time playing and so far have gotten enough tokens to buy about 1/10 of one of the most expensive classes. Lucky it seems they have a sale system or something? Because two classes are marked way way down right now.
In that case, I hope it is like the freemium model in League of Legends. The freemium model in that game is 100 percent spot on. Everything but skins feels earn-able, yet it still feels viable to purchase riot points (I never will though :P)

EDIT: Did the game just get patched a few minutes ago? Because in the news it says the latest version is 0.1.601.0 but I am downloading 0.1.602.0
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 05:01:06 am by lavenders2 »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2011, 05:04:08 am »

It looks like it is going okay. You can not buy power (although the power is very little it is pretty much all skill, or what class you are) but you can buy boosts to earn twice as much and if you are a VIP (which I think you get forever if you buy anything?) you get a extra 50%

And... That is all that is in the game right now. There may be more stuff later, there is "coming soon" all over the place, so maybe.

Edit: Also VIPs can enter VIP servers and they have priority.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 05:07:58 am by Criptfeind »

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2011, 05:24:37 am »

actually got beta keys themselves

This might be a issue. I can't see mention anywhere at all of other keys then the one I used. And reading the "how to get beta key" it does not mention that when you redeem it you get two more. Can I ask you where you get these two keys Drakale?

For me there is a button in Hi-Command, right under play called "Beta key for friends". It should be there for you too, if not  i'm not sure why.
It isn't there? I have looked but I can't find anything

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2011, 05:25:29 am »

Is the game fully downloaded and everything?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27