Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reflex Discussion!  (Read 1599 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Reflex Discussion!
« on: December 08, 2011, 01:04:36 am »

Link to the save/claim thread.

Quote from: The Rules
The first eligible person to post "Claimed" takes the save. The last three players are ineligible, as are any trolls. You get precisely 72 hours to post your save or it opens again! If the fortress dies, you can then reload to try again, but only for your three days! If you take less than three days, you get a special prize.

Reflex succession games are very fast. See? You just joined one!
There is no queue, just be first to claim it when the current player finishes.

Use this thread for discussion on the game, suggestions for the current player, updates for future players, and berating the previous player for dumping all the booze and buying 200 cats. Seriously, don't do that.

------------------------------=============------------------------------

BE SURE to keep the pop cap below 25 for the time being to avoid a population boom.

As far as aesthetics go, it's best if you keep it looking nice. Avoid massive vertical stair shafts, if you like. Avoid massive unsupported square rooms. Tend to extending and utilizing existing areas rather than building new. All that is optional, but requested. Most importantly, label all levers and use labels liberally in general.

Oh, and it's true that someone could make it virtually impossible to continue the game by, for instance, saving moments before the last dwarf dies of head loss. If it's really impossible to recover, the next player can reclaim instead, but only if the fortress has died despite their own best efforts. Of course, troll saves will be ignored.

Finally, I highly endorse this place for hosting your saves: http://dffd.wimbli.com/

JOIN HERE
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reflex Discussion!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 01:12:56 am »

TURN 1
Year 1000:

We've arrived at this place, where the mountains border the Wet Plains, to strike the earth and delve secure lodgings. Somehow, this place feels rather much like the homes of the ancient dwarves. As though all dwarves should live in a mountain cliff-side running straight north to south, with a river valley alongside. As though it is a dwarven instinct, or natural reaction, or reflex, to build great fortresses in such a place. But I digress.

The rest of our party will arrive soon. We must prepare a good, defensible start for this fortress, and also prepare some trade goods before the autumn caravans. We set to work at once.

It's been some weeks now. We are hard at work, though since our mason elected to travel with the earlier portion of the party, we are forced to use wood. Wood chairs, wood tables, even wood doors! Still, there is good news. This site is rich in ores, and once we have a metalworking industry operating, we shall no doubt be quite wealthy.

We've built an office for trade negotiations. At least our wood furniture will give us an edge when negotiating with elves!

A few other members of the expedition have finally caught up. One of them has set to work on masonry, and the group included a few militiadwarves- a macedwarf, a swordsdwarf, and, well... he says his main combat ability is biting. I'm a bit worried about him, but perhaps he can distract any goblins that show up.

It seems the military will serve its purpose. They've already eliminated a threatening rhesus macaque. I've left them to train for now. Perhaps one day the "Bodices of Blowing" will be a name feared throughout the land.

The dining hall is coming along nicely. The miners have even managed to put in a decent set of simple engravings on the walls.

A pair of badgers have been hanging out near the entrance, and it seems that a farmer named Reg Lolordastot has stumbled upon them. I've ordered the squad to head out and see if they can help him. Assuming they can catch up with him.

It looks like one of the badgers caught up with him and gave him a swipe across the chest. He says he's fine though, he's still working.

Reg escaped the badgers, but shortly after another pair attacked a woodcutter. I'll have the dwarves pull back from the forest. We are a little short on food, of course, but we will also assemble a farm space near the entrance and guard it from roving badgers.

Reg was attacked by two more badgers while he worked on the farm plot. Luckily the guards were stationed only meters away. Two more buckets of badger biscuits will soon be made. I suppose that badgers just hate Reg.

The traders have arrived. I've ordered some food and supplies for the next year. They mention they need splints and ammunition. Apparently there was a big mix-up, someone made some lead bolts and sixty archers broke their arms trying to lift the quivers.

The broker got in a fight with the lead trader over beard length. Apparently the trader is some kind of pervert who likes short beards on his women. Anyway, the broker refuses to deal with him and claims to be "on break". We'll have someone else do it.

We've gotten a supply of food and basic materials, and some medical supplies. It should last us through winter.

The merchants were amazed with our dining room. They say that surely legends will be spoken of it. Obviously there isn't much to talk about back home.

More migrants, including a mechanic. He says he can set up some stonefall traps to take care of these badgers. I asked him if he could do it with cages. He looked a bit downcast but said he'd give it a shot.

Kogas has made a masterful stone bracelet. How delightful.

Interesting. A ice dam has formed in the creek. The northern extent is draining. We may be able to make use of this if we want to tap the creek.

Spring has arrived! We've been busy, and have a secure home for the time being. There is still much to do, and many possible resources (we have sand, and vast reserves of metal ores. There was even talk by a prospecting party that there is flux for steel nearby). Surely the vast wealth of this region will attract goblin invaders, and worse, migrants. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 10:12:03 am »

When it comes for posting images of the fortress, do you prefer ASCII or graphics?

Edit: If graphics are preferred, is there a preferred graphic pack?

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 10:45:18 am »

I'll try to claim turn after 00112
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 10:55:42 am »

When it comes for posting images of the fortress, do you prefer ASCII or graphics?

Edit: If graphics are preferred, is there a preferred graphic pack?
Whatever works for you. Nothing is required.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 05:44:55 pm »

Year 1002: From the journal of Id Hamecontest

Spoiler: "Spring" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Summer (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Autumn (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Winter (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 11:11:52 pm by 00112 »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 06:05:58 pm »

Exellent! I was afraid this place was going to be too bland. I wasn't counting on giant scorpions.

Didn't count on them being so enthusiastic on the meat front. If I'd realized we be so short on wood I'd have told them to bring anything lumbery instead of just the fungiwood.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 05:43:27 pm by PTTG?? »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 12:35:51 am »

Summer Update- Even if the population limit is set, the fort still received a migrant wave that went over the limit. Do you mind me killing enough dwarfs to reach to 25 again before Spring gets here or can I pin this on somebody else to do the dirty work for me?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 01:04:36 am »

If it's stable I guess it's OK.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 11:28:23 pm »

I've upload the save and  send a message to ansontan2000 about it. I lowered the population limit to 20 and I still manage to get a wave. Good luck!

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 11:29:12 pm »

Already claimed lol. I called for it seconds after the post.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 12:00:29 am »

So, I have arrived at this strange new place. Time to get acquainted with the layout....
Who the fuck designed this shit?
Could someone please give me a tour? I can't find a single thing!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 12:04:52 am by ansontan2000 »

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 12:15:47 am »

Unfortunately, I will be unable to continue. Sorry, I just got a message from my teacher; I have another test to do in 2 days.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 04:06:58 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
By the way, I may have forgotten to unlock the door after battle  ::)
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 04:55:52 pm »

DUUUUUUUUUUKIEEEEEEE!