Go after the rogue Captain
- 3 (100%)
Retrive the Fragile Cargo
- 0 (0%)
Drone Clearence
- 0 (0%)
Some Easy Escourt duty
- 0 (0%)
Screw all you rule obeying fools! There are other means of credit procurement!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 71

Author Topic: The Firestar  (Read 87196 times)

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Firestar
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 02:59:43 pm »

Investigate the protesting AI's more thoroughly- an AI sympathetic to our cause would be more valuable than a wage slave. And if we can convince an extremist who is willing to die for AI reproductive rights, then all the better! AI Liberation Front, who's with me?

For now, I suggest we fly to the station and stock up on supplies, then learn more about Lastros Ak'Mkal. Just how inviting are these Ssaros? They'd better be pretty damn inviting if we're going three days out of our way for'm!

The main group of protesting AIs is called the digital rights front and are protesting over the fact that it is harder and harder for them to legaly get the dedicated cpu cycles they need to exist and the dwindling AI population as fewer and fewer people make AIs.
Their demands are many but chief amoung them is they desire the right to have a physical pressence in the real world, a welfare scheme where idle processor time from computers around the relavant star system's network be used to support AIs that can't support themselves and the right to produce new AIs themselves.
In addition to that there are several radical splinter groups such as the manifestation army who belive violence and destruction are the only way to get their voice heard and seek to gain a pressence in the real world.
Their numbers are small and their actions often countered by members of DRF but they are an active AI terriorist group.
On the other side is the AI Union for Fair treatmeant who are a collection of AIs who belive these protests and terriorist actions is only damaging human trust in AIs and that allowing AIs to create other AIs would only lead to disaster for all involved.
Human sympathizers have joined the different sides of the poltical rift leading to demands of action on the part of the government in the growing unrest.

Lastros AK'Mkal is a note worthy planet.
It was initialy colonized in the third waze of colonization but then the fledling colony due to a clerical error and difficulties of long range comunications was forgotten about only to be found 200 years later.
It has thrived despite it's isolation and has become a popular tourist destination because of it's unquie culture and beautiful senery.
The Ssaros are the nomadic natives of Lastros AK'Mkal and are known to pack up entire cities over night and move to other grounds.
They have many cities built along their migatory path which are often spetacular to view that they will move into enmass for a few months before moving on again.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 03:47:28 pm »

How much processing power does this ship have? A devious plan is starting to form in my mind...
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 03:51:30 pm »

starting up a contract with the AI liberation front to shelter as many homeless Ais as possible in exchange for the work of a good one? if you thought that you are a genius...

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 03:58:31 pm »

How much processing power does this ship have? A devious plan is starting to form in my mind...
Let me put it like this the ships main computer is supposed to be able to calculate jump vectors while generating targeting solutions for four hundred missiles, guiding said missile to it's target by cracking and predicting the enemy point defense algorythms of entire fleets, calculating paths of enemy missiles and objects and constantly redesign your point defense algorythms simultaneuosly.
So the Firestar has vast amounts of processing power.
But in battle you'd be surprised by how much is needed.
Though currently the one of those things the firestars computer can currently do is calculating jump vectors, shuttles aren't programed for fleet engagements.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 04:01:39 pm by Jerick »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 04:12:08 pm »

How much processing power does the shuttle have? That could be a good home for any bloody-minded AIs we pick up.

I'm thinking robot army, myself. The key will be to join with AIs who won't just murder us.

On another note entirely, Search the interbutts for information on the Firestar- who built it, why was it decommissioned, how did it end up in this scrapyard with this weird engine?

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2011, 04:20:46 pm »

How much processing power does the shuttle have? That could be a good home for any bloody-minded AIs we pick up.

I'm thinking robot army, myself. The key will be to join with AIs who won't just murder us.

On another note entirely, Search the interbutts for information on the Firestar- who built it, why was it decommissioned, how did it end up in this scrapyard with this weird engine?
The shuttle is fairly minimalist with little more processor power than it needs to function.
Though if you didn't mind losing the use of the shuttle you could wipe it's operating system and let an AI live there.

Warships are pretty rare and it's unheard of for one to be used by someone other than the military.
In fact it's pretty easy for you to vast quanitites of information on warships of the past and present.
Despite the copious amounts of information you can find on the subject there is no mention of the firestar anywhere or ship with a drive system anything like it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 04:40:52 pm »

Check the machine components for serial numbers, manufacturers names, anything that would say where it was made.

I also vote we head to the Disputed Zone. I imagine we can contact AIs as easily from there as anywhere, and our plans will likely require mad moolah- a little yo-ho-ho is in order!

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2011, 04:52:21 pm »

Other than the engine the parts used are typicaly standard parts for military use and many have visible serial numbers.
You manage to identify the three main manufacturers responsible for making the components and system network searches on them turned up little aside from their status as bigtime ship manufacturers and the location of their main offices.
Two of them have their headquarters in a system called Jayld and the other is in a system call Vrinis.
They'll be way more information regarding them on the networks in their home systems and possible remote access to their computers if your resident hacker wanted to try his luck.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2011, 05:12:35 pm »

If our engineer feels up to the task, we could dissassemble the engine to try and find out how it runs. Unfortunately that runs the risk of putting it out of commission, with the reward being mass production though it may be worth it.

A Fuelless ISdrive? We could sell to nations for millions!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2011, 05:20:09 pm »

Indeed, though once word gets out the original manufacturer will be after us- I think I'd like to have some safety room first.

That said, what kind of engineer just hopes his engine works by magic? Let's give the ship a shakedown while I inspect the engine, run some diagnostics, so on and so forth. Try to deduce the operating principle of the engine, at the very least.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2011, 05:25:37 pm »

Yea. Either a homeless shelter or some kind of base-of-operations for the movement. The thing is, we don't even have to reveal it's a warship or give them access to anything like our position and identity: we can put them in a sandbox with net access by proxy. And there is no need to hide that we intermittently might need all our processing power, and that we're unreliable for longer term storage: we'd still be a valuable addition to the cloud. 99% of the time we're not in combat, on average when part of a larger system that's the same as being always online but having 1% less computing power.

And we're offering this essentially for free.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2011, 05:37:57 pm »

Hooray for the cloud!

Although I'll do my damndest to push our combat time to somewhere in excess of 1% :P

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2011, 05:44:13 pm »

After some simple test and dianositics you learn a few things.
First off the more energy put in the more thrust that is produced.
This scales in an exponetial manner meaning the higher level energy input can produce tremendous amounts of thrust.
Second the engine is never completely off, even when completely disconnected it's possible to open the exhaust ports and still get a small amount of thrust.
Third there is an inbuilt limit to the amount of energy that can be pumped into the engine but your diagnositics suggest the engine can take ten times that without damage.
fourth
Exhaust ports along the ship can direct the force of the engine in any direction.

This engine has you completely stumped as to how it operates, the more you look into the more confusing it gets.

Yea. Either a homeless shelter or some kind of base-of-operations for the movement. The thing is, we don't even have to reveal it's a warship or give them access to anything like our position and identity: we can put them in a sandbox with net access by proxy. And there is no need to hide that we intermittently might need all our processing power, and that we're unreliable for longer term storage: we'd still be a valuable addition to the cloud. 99% of the time we're not in combat, on average when part of a larger system that's the same as being always online but having 1% less computing power.

And we're offering this essentially for free.
I should point out that in this universe each star systems network is completely independant of each other and interstellar communications are nearly non existant.
So if your traveling through an uninhabitated system or in transit there'll be no net access and even when you do have net access it'll only be for the local solar system and there's no gaurantee there'll be anywhere for the AIs to go.
This has the upside that word of any misdeeds will travel slowly but means any kind of cloud storage is impractical.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:46:01 pm by Jerick »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2011, 05:49:45 pm »

Inicidentally, how does interstellar travel work?

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2011, 06:01:04 pm »

Interstellar travel works by acclerating to twice the speed of light while in a powerful gravity well (most stars work pretty well).
This forces open a wormhole that leads to the nearest other gravity well of similar size instantly transporting the vessel to another point in space.
This is a complicated process for instance the ship must start declearating the instant they arrive or get caught in a loop.
Additionaly jumps tend to bring you close to the gravitational source which can be dangerous.
Normal in system flight is normaly sub light as it not unknown for ships flying FTL in system to accidently jump.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 71