Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with civs  (Read 358 times)

Grungy Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problem with civs
« on: December 01, 2011, 10:27:14 am »

Hello everyone.

I've picked up DF again after some time and I'm hooked again, but I seem to have a little problem. I've generated a new world and looked around for a while to find a perfect spot to start a new fortress. When I checked the neighbours screen it showed all available races (humans, dwarves, elves and goblins), but as soon as I embarked and checked the 'Civilizations' menu and the dwarves were the only one on the list. What am I doing wrong, why is the embark screen lying to me? I don't really feel like playing without gobbos, I'd like to test my defenses against their sieges. There's just no !fun! without them :( .

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Problem with civs
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:30:03 am »

Civilizations don't show up on the "Civilizations" menu until a member of that civilization has visited your map.  So you won't see the goblin civilizations show up there until one of them arrives in person.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Grungy Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 10:44:07 am »

So I have nothing to worry about and they'll show up eventually? Thank you for clearing that up for me :) .

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 02:19:15 pm »

Civilizations don't show up on the "Civilizations" menu until a member of that civilization has visited your map.  So you won't see the goblin civilizations show up there until one of them arrives in person.

Interesting... I wonder if an ambush enters your map but you haven't spotted it yet, does the goblin civ show up in the civs screen?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 02:23:45 pm »

Interesting... I wonder if an ambush enters your map but you haven't spotted it yet, does the goblin civ show up in the civs screen?

It does.  It's not uncommon to see civilizations listed on the civ list when you've never actually seen them, when one of their members snuck onto the screen sneakily and then left without being spotted.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.