Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stracraft 2- Running 7 fps on low settings, should I return it?  (Read 1604 times)

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
Stracraft 2- Running 7 fps on low settings, should I return it?
« on: November 26, 2011, 12:22:16 pm »

I got a sweet deal on starcraft 2, but the game runs at 7 fps on "low".  I'm begining to consider just returning it...
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stracraft 2- Running 7 fps on low settings, should I return it?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 12:53:06 pm »

Nobody ever accepts returns on PC games...

Kiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 01:15:54 pm »

If it took a CD key to play it then good luck returning it (which is almost always the case)
The Dread Pirate

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 01:19:48 pm »

Considering you can 'own' the game via battle.net by adding the cd-key to your account, the copy would be pretty worthless if you returned it.
So I doubt you'd be able to do so.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 01:27:17 pm »

That's got to suck.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 02:17:37 pm »

What are your system specs? Do they meet the minimum requirements? If so, I'd say you have a case for a return - if your specs are definitely higher than minimum and it still won't run, it's not performing as advertised.

If your system specs are below the minimum... well... whoops, that's your bad.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 02:39:17 pm »

If it took a CD key to play it then good luck returning it (which is almost always the case)
I just realized this after I posted the thread.
What are your system specs? Do they meet the minimum requirements? If so, I'd say you have a case for a return - if your specs are definitely higher than minimum and it still won't run, it's not performing as advertised.

AMD Athlon9(tm)IIx215 processor 2.10 GHZ
It’s a standard store bought HP computer, relatively new.
It's prob'ly my graphics card though...

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 02:44:14 pm »

Probably the graphics card, yeah. That CPU is a little on the weaker end for SC2 but should run it fine on low if the graphics card can handle it.

If you really want to play (it and other games) there have already been decent GPU sales for Black Friday online, and I'm sure there will be more on Monday (Cyber Monday)

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 02:45:41 pm »

Probably the graphics card, yeah. That CPU is a little on the weaker end for SC2 but should run it fine on low if the graphics card can handle it.

If you really want to play (it and other games) there have already been decent GPU sales for Black Friday online, and I'm sure there will be more on Monday (Cyber Monday)
Too bad I never buy anything online  :(
Oh well I look into a more 133t graphics card.

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 02:46:55 pm »

Too bad I never buy anything online  :(
Oh well I look into a more 133t graphics card.

There are usually good in-store ones too, especially if you live near a Microcenter/Frys, sometimes the other guys (Best Buy, etc) have a reasonable sale too.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 02:47:27 pm »

You didn't mention what your graphics card was, or how much memory you had, or anything like that.

If it's a standard store bought HP computer, you probably have a shitty graphics card and a very weak power supply (too weak to run a real graphics card). The case might or might not also be too small to fit a real graphics card and/or the power supply might be smaller than normal power supplies - depending on whether it's a full size case or not, etc.

Edit: I thought Starcraft 2 had low system requirements, though?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 02:52:12 pm »

It does, although it depends on the maps you play on. The campaign maps are pretty intensive, but the ladder maps are incredibly smooth. Those specs really should be able to handle this, so it's probably is your graphics card letting you down.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 02:53:06 pm »

You didn't mention what your graphics card was, or how much memory you had, or anything like that.

If it's a standard store bought HP computer, you probably have a shitty graphics card and a very weak power supply (too weak to run a real graphics card). The case might or might not also be too small to fit a real graphics card and/or the power supply might be smaller than normal power supplies - depending on whether it's a full size case or not, etc.

Yeah, but if it has something like an Intel graphics card (unlikely with AMD...) or one of the other 'onboard' chipsets, it won't run well at all.

There are a number of lower power cards that don't need extra power that will run SC2 - like the 5670. My sister can run it with a slower dual core and a 5670.