Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Masterwork bolts lost.  (Read 1121 times)

toker606

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Masterwork bolts lost.
« on: November 26, 2011, 11:50:07 am »

So my bone carver is finally legendary and is now regularly making masterwork bone bolts, but whenever these bolts are used up by my hunter / military dwarves I get a message telling me his masterwork has been lost, which I'm assuming makes for an unhappy little dwarf. Is there any way around this issue? Seems a bit pointless training this guy up to legendary if I can't even use his best work without it upsetting him.
I would fill it with Magma if there was any on my map... there isn't, so I'm filling it with Rhesus Macaques.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: Masterwork bolts lost.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 12:00:45 pm »

Known bug. bug #3169 - Bone carvers suffer art defacement when somebody leaves the map with stuck-in masterpiece bolts <advertisment>(second position in my poll, see signature)</advertisment>
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

toker606

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 12:13:06 pm »

Known bug. bug #3169 - Bone carvers suffer art defacement when somebody leaves the map with stuck-in masterpiece bolts <advertisment>(second position in my poll, see signature)</advertisment>

Oh, so it's animals leaving my map with the bolts stuck in them, not just that they're being used up? Does it only affect bone carvers?
I would fill it with Magma if there was any on my map... there isn't, so I'm filling it with Rhesus Macaques.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 12:16:28 pm »

Oh, so it's animals leaving my map with the bolts stuck in them, not just that they're being used up? Does it only affect bone carvers?
No, it also affects woodcrafters and weaponsmiths.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Flattermann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 12:18:48 pm »

as far as I know this can happen to all artists if a master-work is destroyed they get unhappy so if you burn master-work furniture smelt master-work armour/weapons or destroy in any other way something of artistic value someone gets pissed.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 04:08:22 pm »

If I recall correctly, masterwork bolts don't really do much more than regular bolts do anyway. If this is the case, making masterwork bolts is like begging for a tantruming dwarf.  :P
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 04:21:45 pm »

If you're cranking out very large quantities of masterwork bolts, you'll be just fine, since the happiness penalty for masterpiece destruction is inversely proportional to the number of masterpieces produced by that dwarf - if (s)he's produced a thousand masterworks, then losing just one won't have any significant impact.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 04:31:02 pm »

I've now got the hilarious image of a brewer fighting in vain to protect his masterwork booze against a horde of thirsty dwarves.....

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 04:34:35 pm »

A masterwork tequila shot of Urist McBrewer has been lost!
Urist McBrewer cancels eat: Gone insane
Urist McBrewer has gone berserk!
(insert chain of death messages here, initiate tantrum spiral, beginning of the end)

Moral? Make dwarves drink crappy booze?

And what does this do to the bolts? The bonecarver jumps in the way of an enemy's shield to protect his bolt from harm?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 04:43:03 pm »

I've now got the hilarious image of a brewer fighting in vain to protect his masterwork booze against a horde of thirsty dwarves.....
Booze is without quality, but there is an old, fixed bug 0000303: Cook gets angered by "art defacement" because liquid meals melt when eaten ( http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=303 ).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 04:52:22 pm by Kogut »
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 04:54:53 pm »

Booze is without quality, but there is an old, fixed bug 0000303: Cook gets angered by "art defacement" because liquid meals melt when eaten ( http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=303 ).

Awww poor dwarves :(

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 05:07:09 pm »

Also, dwarves only get unhappy when masterwork items are lost - this includes theft, rotting, and chasming/atomsmashing, but it does not count trading, consumption, or normal "destructive" usage (e.g. firing ammunition).

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 05:10:37 pm »

Or rather it is supposed to act this way, as unfortunately "somebody leaves the map with stuck-in masterpiece bolts" counts as theft (stuck-in things are inventory). I think that after fixing this we will see adventures leaving king with stuck-in masterwork adamantine crowns.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 06:28:13 pm »

Although you could rationalise it as the dwarf thinking "If you're going to use my best bloody bolts, you could at least kill the thing!"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 06:35:10 pm »

Although you could rationalise it as the dwarf thinking "If you're going to use my best bloody bolts, you could at least kill the thing!"

...Or Dwarf modern art.

Quote from: Leonardo Da Urist
YOU UNCOUTH SCOUNDREL! BRING ME BOLTS BACK AND QUIT BEING ALIVE!

THEY DESERVE TO BE FIRED DOWN THE THROAT OF A TITAN!