Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Glitch - A World Shaped by the Players  (Read 15306 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Glitch - A World Shaped by the Players
« on: November 23, 2011, 01:45:51 pm »

From the Community Guidelines:
Glitch is, by design, one persistent, shared world. It was designed this way so that many people can play together. Players may make individual decisions about what they want to do, and may also take part in decisions at a group level to coordinate action. Playing in a world which is inhabited by other players is inherent to the very idea of game.

Glitch is a browser-based, Flash MMO. There is no set goal to the game, yet a multitude of activities to do, and the best part is that the entire world is pretty much run by the players. The world expands as players collect objects to build new streets, and then populate those streets with piggies, trees, and all sorts of objects. Within Glitch, you can be a master chef, a miner, an alchemist, or any number of things based on the skills you choose.

The game is pretty new, but it already has a bunch of players...It's also unique in that there is a pretty neat API that programmers can use to make tools for the game through a web-interface, for example, there is a web-site that will help you find the resources you need (a tricky task as things change all the time!) and another that allows users to queue up skills to learn. I used it to grab that image of a street above, and a larger version of my character, for example.

I have created a group for any Bay12'ers who join, so that we can have a chat-room in game, a group hall (once they are implemented, supposedly soon), and a list of people playing :)
http://www.glitch.com/groups/RUVPA38ERFH2V24/
To join, simply click 'Join' (or whatever it says, not sure exact wording) and then post your in-game name here. It's set to require approval to join, so that random people don't end up in the group on accident. I have it set so I can make anyone trustworthy have the privileges to approve members, though, so it shouldn't take too long to get in :)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
Re: Glitch - A World Shaped by the Players
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 03:12:35 pm »

AKA phallustopia the game. A single persistent sandbox world populated entirely by random people can only end one way...
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 03:26:54 pm »

Did you know there are 6,230 google hits for phallustopia, when I just searched for it? I was expecting the word to be somewhat more rare than that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 03:41:45 pm »

Is this even a game?

So far it seems more like "Alpha Online with skill points determining what you can build"

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 03:55:45 pm »

I saw a news article about this a while back. Wasn't impressed. Reminds me of a Facebook game mixed with a bit of Maplestory.

I was more interested in the "making of" part, but not something I would play.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 04:05:33 pm »

Basically the game consists of running around and gathering resources. Some of these resources, such as trees, crops, herbs and animals are created, placed and destroyed by the players.  Usually there's a 'war' going on between people who only want one kind of tree in one place, poisoning all other trees and stuff.

Skills are learned automatically, even while you are not playing.  You simply select the skill you want and wait.  The more skills you have and the more difficult the skill, the longer it takes.  You can donate stuff to the Giants related to the skill to shave off some time.
You can then use these skills to gather resources more effectively, or learn skills that allow you to create various items and foodstuffs. These help you maintain your energy and mood, and you can of course sell them for a profit.  Every 4 hours counts as an in-game day and resets your energy and mood and lets you re-harvest trees and animals you harvested the previous day.

Locations in the world are called 'streets', and the creation of a new street involves the players gathering resources to finish the project.  You get achievements for it I guess.  From what I've seen players don't get to influence the look of the street in any way, they just get to plant trees in pre-designated spots and release piggies, butterflies and chickens to populate the area.
Other events are 'Rook attacks', in which the Rook, giant evil birds, try to destroy parts of the world.  Players can gather and use certain skills to repel these birds, unskilled players can help provide power by donating stuff to the shrine in the attacked area.

Other than that you can just do whatever. Most people get a house so they can keep their own piggies and chickens and plant crops and trees in their private garden. You can try and earn lots of money or perhaps unlock all recipes, get lots of achievements, collect certain items, stuff like that. People seem to like hiding random stuff around the world to share with others, or leave fun notes, or rename all chickens to 'Dinner'. If you come across a chicken named 'Curry', I was there. Curry is my RL chicken.

A common misconception is that this is a Facebook game.  It is not. While you can link the game to your FB account, it is no different than linking it to your Twitter or something.  No part of the game at all requires or even allows your friends to click anything to help you, the game doesn't post anything to your Facebook unless you tell it to, which you don't have to at all.

It is also completely 100% free to play.  You can use real money to get fancier clothes and facial features for your avatar and buy teleport tokens, but that's it.  With sufficient teleport skills you won't need those tokens, and running from point A to B is usually quite easy and often lucrative if you harvest a little along the way. There are absolutely no other ingame benefits to spending money.

Frankly, it's a good game but I don't see most of the people on these forums playing this. I don't want them to either, the piggies are all mine. Mine!

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 04:11:01 pm »

Is this even a game?

So far it seems more like "Alpha Online with skill points determining what you can build"
So you have to reach level 50 masonry and mining to phallusspam the world? People will still dovit.
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 04:45:48 pm »

Is this even a game?

So you have to reach level 50 masonry and mining to phallusspam the world? People will still dovit.

I like how you prefer to focus on phalluses instead of actually reading a bit about the game so you'd know there is no way to actually build anything remotely phallic. But since according to you every game has people trying to build giant maypoles, I guess every forum has similar people too.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 10:27:21 pm »

Is this even a game?

I like how you prefer to focus on phalluses instead of actually reading a bit about the game so you'd know there is no way to actually build anything remotely phallic. But since according to you every game has people trying to build giant maypoles, I guess every forum has similar people too.

I view it more as a metaphor that claims that when you allow anyone the ability to create anything, people will gravitate to the most dumb, idiotic thing out there and produce that in nigh-unlimited qualities.

...Like this:
Quote from: Rhodan
Usually there's a 'war' going on between people who only want one kind of tree in one place, poisoning all other trees and stuff.

Granted, this make more interested in playing because I want to see such wars, but...
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

dirkzen

• Bay Watcher
  • Flood the depot. Get free stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 01:22:39 am »

(A small review of this game I did a while back, from a different website)

Have you ever played one of those games.. or watched a movie or something.. and it just feels like you're really missing the point?   ..like theres this underlying 'thing' that you just can't grasp..   but it feels so much bigger than the whole?

I get that feeling when i'm playing this.

...or I might just be reading waaay too much into it.

The game itself is very friendly and simple,  with a lot of busywork on the surface that just seems completley random and whimsical,  sort of like this 2-D alice in wonderland..  if everyone  (not just the Hatter)  had lead poisoning and went batshit insane.

Its cute, and I can't stress the word 'friendly'.    ....almost 'too' friendly. 

I think its hiding something, somewhere.

A lot of references to these 'giant' deities.. with a heavy sprinkle of Bhuddism and overall politeness to other players,  as the game gently pressures you into 'helping' others.

I can't really say anything bad about this game..  it just does its own wierd little thing,  and politley invites you for the ride.

.....all the while,  keeping you busy with little tasks,  and trying to make sure you don't think too hard about what you've just seen and did..

Again,  i'm probably just paranoid,  and reading faaar too much into this.
Forgotten beasts flying up the wells and eating them might cause some negative effects.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 02:19:54 am »

Is this even a game?

I view it more as a metaphor that claims that when you allow anyone the ability to create anything, people will gravitate to the most dumb, idiotic thing out there and produce that in nigh-unlimited qualities.

...Like this:
Quote from: Rhodan
Usually there's a 'war' going on between people who only want one kind of tree in one place, poisoning all other trees and stuff.

Granted, this make more interested in playing because I want to see such wars, but...
Indeed. It's simply an example of why this idea might not work.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 11:16:32 am »

AKA phallustopia the game. A single persistent sandbox world populated entirely by random people can only end one way...
I have to say, dropping into a thread after seeing the title just to post something like that is pretty bad form.

Just because players can control things doesn't mean it will end horribly, I quite like the community in Glitch so far, aside from a couple side cases.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 01:11:53 pm »

I have to say, dropping into a thread after seeing the title just to post something like that is pretty bad form.

Just because players can control things doesn't mean it will end horribly, I quite like the community in Glitch so far, aside from a couple side cases.
I read the entirety of the OP before posting, FYI.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 06:22:11 pm »

Game name FoolsFolly.
No join button, just says group is invite only.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 08:18:53 pm »

My goal is to pet every single piggie. Ever.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6