Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: cougar question  (Read 3573 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: cougar question
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 10:37:26 pm »

Then post it into word. Or if you would prefer to use an online spell checker then this one works fine. Or purchase an as you type spell-checker. They cost a little bit, but they will automatically check everything that you type as you type it and some will autocorrect as well. There are plenty of solutions out there if you are willing to just take a look! :)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 11:13:27 pm »

Dyslexia disables the SHIFT key?

edit: Personally, I prefer a descriptive approach to language and grammar, as opposed to a prescriptive one. Your words are generally clear, and I find it more useful that one ask for clarification when something doesn't make sense. Still, the amount of care one puts into their text is the major factor for evaluating the content of that text. If that text comes across lazy and poorly-thought-out, it will definitely affect the perception of the author.

As for the OP, what sort of biomes are settled? Can cougars show up? A wild male will impregnate tame females. No cougars show up around your fort?

another edit: "A wild male will impregnate tame males?" Not so much, not so much.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 12:46:52 am by Aachen »
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 12:43:22 am »

Creatures born on to your map are automatically friendly and non-violent.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't work this way, but now I really wanna start locking up goblin ambushers to breed friendly goblins from them.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

PhantomXD

• Bay Watcher
  • Digging designation cancelled: warm stone located
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 01:45:26 am »

Ignoring the grammar trolls for the hundredth time:

Many exotic animals (signified by the [PET_EXOTIC] tag in their raw file) require a Dungeon master in the fortress to allow animal trainers to train them. Unfortunately Dungeon master's are bugged.

There is a way around this however
As for your question about the offspring I think the others are more knowledgeable about this.

PS: Whats the deal with grammar round here not all of us have natural flare with writing and struggle to put our words to text. I most certainly do. For example where my bro would take 5 mins to write this out I spend a good 10 mins just spell checking. Just because some ones grammar is not as good as yours why do you feel the need to hate on them?

PPS: My natural tongue IS English

PPPS: If you really cant understand an OP why not protest its presence by not replying to it, that would seem to be the least offensive way to amend the problem.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 01:49:02 am by PhantomXD »
Ironhand's Graphics Set

Bottom line is, the wiki is your friend, and error is your teacher.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 04:02:30 am »

Whats the deal with grammar round here not all of us have natural flare with writing and struggle to put our words to text.

Well, this forum prides itself over its residents smarter than average (because, you know, text mode game and stuff...). Anyone breaking this illusion by spelleng bedly is going to be hated. Also, writing badly on puporse is ancient troll tactic that rarely fails.

---

Anyhow, as usuall, it is effort that counts. And respect. If you honestly care about your post being read (and understodd, taken into consideration and replied to), you should make them pleasant to read and not distract readers or even force them to decipher text.

This is whole point of typography, by the way. Making stuff nice to read.

For some people this is harder, but frankly, they should also be considerate to OCD people (who will suffer from reading malformed sentences and words they can not fix) and AD people (who will have much harder time focusing on text and content if they are distracted by mistypes). Dyslexia is not the only bad stuff here...

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2011, 04:32:57 am »

Well, this forum prides itself over its residents smarter than average (because, you know, text mode game and stuff...). Anyone breaking this illusion by spelleng bedly is going to be hated. Also, writing badly on puporse is ancient troll tactic that rarely fails.

---

Anyhow, as usuall, it is effort that counts. And respect. If you honestly care about your post being read (and understodd, taken into consideration and replied to), you should make them pleasant to read and not distract readers or even force them to decipher text.

This is whole point of typography, by the way. Making stuff nice to read.

For some people this is harder, but frankly, they should also be considerate to OCD people (who will suffer from reading malformed sentences and words they can not fix) and AD people (who will have much harder time focusing on text and content if they are distracted by mistypes). Dyslexia is not the only bad stuff here...
Also, writing badly on puporse is ancient troll tactic that rarely fails.
rarely fails.

Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2011, 09:54:14 am »

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work this way, but now I really wanna start locking up goblin ambushers to breed friendly goblins from them.
It actually does work this way, that's why if minotaurs or invader animals give birth they instantly slaughter their babies because the babies are considered friendly to the dwarven civilization and the invaders are considered hostile. It also allows you to utilize that awesome creature you caught regardless of the fact that it tasted dwarven blood, just lock it up in a cage, wait for it to give birth, and then utilize the children. As for goblins though, I'm pretty sure that unless you add the [PET] tag to their female caste then they would need to marry before they could have children, thus leading to a distinct lack of friendly goblin children.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2011, 10:04:42 am »

and unless you edit the RAW, elephants will die from undergrazing
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2011, 10:44:09 am »

Elven ambushers will have their mounts give birth, only to instantly trample it to death. Though I'm pretty sure goblins, elves and humans have to have a relationship to give birth.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2011, 11:03:56 am »

Sorry if I've pestered you before about grammar, jaxler. I have dyslexic friends and a learning-impaired brother, so I should really have known better.

- - - - -

In regards to your subject, try having both your lady cougars chained or pitted (not into a death trap!) or pastured. If you're in the right biome, there's a possibility that a wild cougar might show up at some point and impregnate them from halfway across the map; and the cubs from that union would also be tame and trainable. I've gotten lucky with bears this way in the past.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 11:05:41 am by proxn_punkd »

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2011, 01:17:43 pm »

It actually does work this way, that's why if minotaurs or invader animals give birth they instantly slaughter their babies because the babies are considered friendly to the dwarven civilization and the invaders are considered hostile. It also allows you to utilize that awesome creature you caught regardless of the fact that it tasted dwarven blood, just lock it up in a cage, wait for it to give birth, and then utilize the children. As for goblins though, I'm pretty sure that unless you add the [PET] tag to their female caste then they would need to marry before they could have children, thus leading to a distinct lack of friendly goblin children.
If I added the [PET] tag to goblin females, couldn't I skip a step and just trap them in cages and tame them like wild animals?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2011, 01:57:06 pm »

shouldnt there be an aditional tag for tame-able?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2011, 02:19:16 pm »

If I added the [PET] tag to goblin females, couldn't I skip a step and just trap them in cages and tame them like wild animals?
Well yeah, but they would still be hostile to your civ so I'm not sure that would be the best idea :P.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2011, 02:20:32 pm »

Well yeah, but they would still be hostile to your civ so I'm not sure that would be the best idea :P.
Dwarf Fortress isn't about the best ideas, it's about the craziest ones.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2011, 02:13:27 am »

Dyslexic here, also.  I'm the first boy in my family to write.  The fleshy part of our brain that divides or sides is too thin.  It passes too much thought between the halfs.  The thoughts bouncing back and forth, come out backwards.  Its especially bad under unnatural lighting. 

Got writing down in college prep, never was good at it in jr and sr high, they just passed me through.  I still can't say my months in order.  I have no idea what comes before or after a month.  Cept for Dec and Jan.  And I'm always saying, yesterday, when I mean tomorrow.

Hang in there Jaxler.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: 1 [2] 3