Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: urist mcdwarf hit hit lava 14 zlvl's down SPOILERS  (Read 2876 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
urist mcdwarf hit hit lava 14 zlvl's down SPOILERS
« on: November 20, 2011, 01:51:35 pm »

a miner dug down 14 z levels and hit a lava pipe (magma pool is the old name.)

the 1st cavern level has a magma pool and were level 3 would be there is only lava sea.

if i dig deeper will demons come out and burn my ass
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 04:04:54 pm by jaxler »
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: urist mcdwarf hit hit lava 14 zlvl's down SPOILERS
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 01:57:08 pm »

I can't understand what you're talking about - get rid of the euphemisms and try again.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 02:53:46 pm »

You're braver than me, Quietust -- I couldn't keep reading past "lava pipe"...

--nomad_delta

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 02:56:55 pm »

You're braver than me, Quietust -- I couldn't keep reading past "lava pipe"...

--nomad_delta

Seconded. NECRO~! Someone needs a terminology lesson in here! If it's still underground, it's called...

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 02:58:49 pm »

Nothing to get wound up about here - this is a known unusual event. Below it will probably be lots of SMR with the odd special vein.
This is a blank sig.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 03:10:36 pm »

One of my miners dug down 14 z-levels and located a magma pool.

The first cavern level has a magma pool, and where the second cavern level would be is the magma sea, so if I dig below it, will there be hell, or more cavern levels, or a cavern/hell mix?
Translated and grammar-fixed, for people who are too lazy to do it themselves  ::) ...At least, I think that's the intended question; the last part was a bit confusing.

To answer the question, it's likely that for whatever reason only one cavern layer was generated. As such, you're likely to have only that one layer and magma sea, with the depths beneath it populated by demons.

Also, can we please stop it with the stupid Necro910 magma meme? It was never funny, results in constant pointless thread derailments, and has only gotten ever more stupid and annoying as he's done it to death and beyond, and other people encouraging him has only made it worse.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 03:32:46 am »

even though i know in my brain that underground, it is called magma, for some reason, when you throw the word "pipe" after it, lava just feeeeeeels better to say.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 10:16:41 am »

Or, your embark site is simply bugged.
Is the magma you found static, or is it flowing?
Does it seem that this embark location has less fps than the usual amount?
Is there the aboveground grass growing in the underground?

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 04:08:21 pm »

even though i know in my brain that underground, it is called magma, for some reason, when you throw the word "pipe" after it, lava just feeeeeeels better to say.

a magma pipe is the name of those little volcano things in caverns

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Magma

if you go on the wiki it says that magma pools arn't the proper name.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 06:19:29 pm »

Also, can we please stop it with the stupid Necro910 magma meme? It was never funny, results in constant pointless thread derailments, and has only gotten ever more stupid and annoying as he's done it to death and beyond, and other people encouraging him has only made it worse.

+1

That whole schtick has gotten pretty old.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 09:10:16 pm »

+1

That whole schtick has gotten pretty old.

:'(

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 01:01:38 am »

Sorry, guys, I honestly didn't realize it was that serious until Toady started shutting down threads.

But still, this game is all about awesome geology, so it's worth remembering that molten rock underground is called magma, not lava until it reaches the surface.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 04:11:12 pm »

Sorry, guys, I honestly didn't realize it was that serious until Toady started shutting down threads.

But still, this game is all about awesome geology, so it's worth remembering that molten rock underground is called magma, not lava until it reaches the surface.

but my point being the actual name for those cavern lava pools are indeed lava pipes. even though that may be wrong use of the word lava it still contains both lava and magma.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 10:14:07 pm »

a miner dug down 14 z levels and hit a lava pipe (magma pool is the old name.)

the 1st cavern level has a magma pool and were level 3 would be there is only lava sea.

if i dig deeper will demons come out and burn my ass

Alright...sometimes magma pipes extend past the bottom cavern layer. Some of these are called volcanoes. Good so far?
Is there actually only one cavern layer? Check by digging and don't complain if cave dragons or whatnot decide that they want an Urist McNugget.
Finally, no. Demons are VERY hard to find; there are two ways, and digging into the third cavern isn't one of them.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 10:19:39 pm »

but my point being the actual name for those cavern lava pools are indeed lava pipes. even though that may be wrong use of the word lava it still contains both lava and magma.

I didn't know that was physically possible.  :-\
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy
Pages: [1] 2