Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Active/Training Civies?!?!  (Read 1048 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Active/Training Civies?!?!
« on: November 19, 2011, 03:27:45 pm »

When looking at Civilians, not squads, what is the difference between:

Inactive [CIV] and Active/Training [CIV] 

Will they update their clothing, but not work when set to Active/Training?  Here's hoping!  Trying it now.  All my Civs are walking around in rags.  This alert screen is very confusing.  Why isn't there a [SQD] and [NOB] setting aswell.  For Squad and Nobles.  If ya think about it, everyone of them is a [CIV]  And then this A, what's up with that?  Whats the A represent, A for Alright?  Doh!

Thanks,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Active/Training Civies?!?!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 03:35:15 pm »

The [CIV] setting only affects burrow assignments for civilians - if you set the "Active/Training" alert to restrict to indoor burrows, then you can use it as if it were the "Stay indoors" order from 40d and earlier. All soldiers ignore the civilian alert state and instead follow whatever orders they've been assigned.

[edit]
Read this for more information.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 03:37:32 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 03:50:40 pm »

I'm not sure I understand.

I have no burrows setup.  And I'm not putting any A next to anything.  Its Active/Training [CIV], as opposed to Inactive [CIV].  Changing just that does what to the Civilians?  Puts the Civilians on Active/Training, but they are active when inactive.. by the looks of things, they are still performing there tasks. 

Thanks for link, thats great, I'll head on over and read up.  But I have a feeling it won't describe this mynewt toggle.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 04:29:07 pm »

Changing which alert state has [CIV] next to it only affects burrow restrictions - when you highlight a particular alert state, you can move the cursor over to the far right column and toggle burrows. If you haven't defined any burrows yet, then the [CIV] setting does nothing at all, but you eventually will want to define some burrows so you can keep your civilians safe during sieges.

The center column lists all of your military squads, and any that are marked with a green "A" are currently assigned to the alert state highlighted in the left column - unless you want your soldiers off-duty and performing civilian tasks, you should make sure all of your squads are set to Active/Training.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 10:43:10 pm »

I'm not sure I understand.

I have no burrows setup.  And I'm not putting any A next to anything.  Its Active/Training [CIV], as opposed to Inactive [CIV].  Changing just that does what to the Civilians?  Puts the Civilians on Active/Training, but they are active when inactive.. by the looks of things, they are still performing there tasks. 

Thanks for link, thats great, I'll head on over and read up.  But I have a feeling it won't describe this mynewt toggle.

Mostly likely the change you are making isn't having any effect on anything.  Here's what's happening:

The game has an Alert system where you can define alert levels and set your military squads to them.  You can define any number of alert levels and assign them in any way to your military squads.  When you define the alert level you (optionally) specify an activity schedule and burrow restrictions.

The game starts you with two alert levels predefined, Inactive and Active/Training.  You can (and should) define your own as well.  These two levels are primarily intended for your military units however...your entire civilian (non-military) population can be set to one of your alert levels.  The [Civ] marker just indicates what alert level is active for your civilians.  The only effect it has on your civilians is to restrict them to any burrow that you defined as a restriction for that alert level.  They will ignore any training scheduled or anything else.

Since the default alerts have no burrow restrictions (unless you changed that) then moving the [Civ] marker around isn't changing anything. 

What you should do:  read the wiki pages on both alerts and burrows.  Define a burrow that encompasses the inside of your fortress.  Define an alert level called something like "Get Inside!" and make that burrow a restriction for that alert level.   Whenever there is danger outside, change the [Civ] alert level to "Get Inside!" and all your dwarves will run inside.  While your military is outside killing and dying, they will stay inside and not stupidly run out trying to gather stuff until you tell them the fight is over by changing their alert level to something that does not have the burrow restriction.

I hope that makes sense.

Finn
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 01:08:28 pm »

Yup.  I saw somewhere in a guide to add a new one.  Danger.  That's a good pro tip.  However, the GUI here is quite confusing, before that process.  Toggles that do nothing at all shouldn't exist.  This here squad column in the middle should have that civilian option at the top above our created squads that show up.  Aswell as a hunters option.  Hell, I'd also put a Weavers and Wood Collectors option.  Putting civilians as a [CIV] flag on the alert column is sorta bad technical writing, isn't it? 

DF is confusing enough, without this incomprehensible grid work.  Also, Inactive [CIV] is not inactive.  This is bad, bad, bad.  Was this game made in a different language and translated into Engrish?  I'm trying to figure out what the A next to my squad represents.  There is no key, for this abbreviation.  Why would there need to be a denotation for Active, if there is an option for Active/Training?  Its right there?  Heck it should just highlight it, like the filter for a workstation highlights a specific dwarf.

I dunno, seems like something that could be improved.  Hope it gets some luvin in future releases. I like the combat most of all in DF, having grid work like this, isn't pleasurable.  Does it feel uncomfortable to you too?  Or am I just bassackwards?

Sincerely,
Knutor

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 01:12:55 pm »

Dunno, I figured it all out so it is at least comprehensible. Maybe its not the best design in the world, but I never had to consult wiki or others for the military screen, alerts, etc.

I did for the goddamn hospital though...