Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 239

Author Topic: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)  (Read 235937 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnpick (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #345 on: February 05, 2012, 03:52:29 pm »

Virtue frowns and sighs.  "Arbalest... suggested we move a catapult down to the caverns.  Seems he wanted to try his hoof at taking out the creatures down there himself."  She looks up to Jaxler and adds, "He's been... well, I'm not sure a catapult is going to do a whole lot of good.  Especially in the closed quarters.  A ballista would be better... but even then I'm not sure."

She shrugs.  "It might be worth a try though.  Either way, I think you're right about the lack of help.  We need to get a few more ponies to help you and Partisan out.  If nothing else, the two of you alone can't keep the entire settlement under surveillance."  She thinks back to the untimely ends of Brook and Barley, but refrains from mentioning the incidents.  Neither were the fault of the guard.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 05, 2012, 04:11:27 pm »

Partisan knocked on the door. He thought he had figured it out. A way to potentially Stop the racket from the cavern, without too much risk of lives.
"Virtue, I wanted to run an idea by you, if you don't mind." It was so simple, he didn't know what he hadn't thought of it before.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 05, 2012, 04:16:13 pm »

Jaxler's facial expression hardened as he said "Virtue, why wasn't I informed about this when I asked you my initial question, I prefer my leader to tell me the full truth". but Before Jaxler could continue he was interrupted my a knocking on the the office door. Jaxler then heard a voice and said "heya partisan".
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 04:18:25 pm by jaxler »
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 05, 2012, 04:21:33 pm »

She smiles sheepishly and replies, "Well, Jaxler... I'm still not sure about the catapult... I mean if we do go through with it I'd let you know, of course..."

The knock at the door interrupts her attempts at defending herself.  She beckons Partisan to enter and asks, "Oh?  What's on your mind?

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 05, 2012, 04:30:01 pm »

"A bridge." He replied, quite proud of himself. "Well, two bridges."
With that, he looked up, trying to figure out how to continue, knowing he should have rehearsed this.
"I got the idea while watching the moat get dug out. I figured, the purpose of a mote was to keep things out, right? So why not just dig an empty one that traps the beast in one area. If we do it right, we can just take our time making pot shots at it until it falls. As a bonus, we will also have a slightly safer gateway into the caverns when we are done."

((OCC: Do you think I can have a list of Partisan's friends? I want to see something else for future reference.))
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 05, 2012, 04:37:25 pm »

Jaxler looked over to partisan and said "Seems like a decent idea partisan, but it would require tearing down the walls". but Jaxler was still not completely happy with Virtue's response and said to her " I asked you a question, you said you would answer it. You withheld information. So, as my leader I expect you to give me all the information I ask for. If I can trust you with my life you should be willing to trust me with the full truth."

((I'd like his friend's list as well. It would help next time a pony dies.))

« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 04:43:47 pm by jaxler »

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 05, 2012, 04:47:56 pm »

Partison nodded at Jaxler's compliment, but backed up a bit, keeping his eyes on Virtue. He noted that, what ever it was that he interrupted, it was making Jaxler angry, and him more curious.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 05, 2012, 05:52:51 pm »

I'll get both of their friends lists up in the next update.  Seeing as Partisan has been in the militia and guard for most of his stay in Dawnpick, he probably doesn't have many.  Jaxler probably does though.

Virtue sighs and places a hoof against her face.  "I'm sorry Jaxler.  Arbalest suggested moving the catapult down to the caverns, but I wasn't sold on the idea yet and so didn't think it was important to even bring it up.  I'd intended to bring it up with the militia and guard before I did anything."

She looks over to Partisan and adds, "That actually sounds like a pretty good idea.  It would be faster than building new walls if we wanted to expand our hold of the caverns."  She pauses in thought and takes another look at her map.  "The only problem would be the flying things... I believe Diamond Shard or Chic mentioned hearing some flying around down there... we'll have to be careful about that."

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 05, 2012, 06:14:21 pm »

Partison nodded in appreciation. That was actually quite a big hole in his plan that she had found. But she had liked it and said she would consider it, which was enough for him. The mentioning of a catapult struck him as humorous, causing him to exhale deeply. Maybe they could use it. As inaccurate as those things were, sometimes they still can help. It always is a boost of moral to see those large, clunky machines flinging rocks into the distance.
"I will see if I can think of any way to fix the flyer portion of the problem. As for the catapult, do you have any idea of how we could use it? I mean specific ideas. I, for one, see it good for moral, but not much else. Never have seen them hit anything."

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 05, 2012, 06:16:07 pm »

Jaxler was happy with Virtue's response. "so they can fly? hmm... there ability to fly might actually make this easier. In-fact what if we dug out a hole from the roof of the cavern. only the flying ones would be able to come through. we could fight off the flying ones from there and with them out of the way a we could your plan. also if things were to go wrong with your plan would still be left with fewer monsters to fight."

Jaxler eyes widened as remembered a vital fact about the bests "But there is another problem with the plan. according the the rumors going around these bests have poison. for all I know it could just cause mild dizziness, or it could rot you entire right side off... or worse. also partisan, how would you feel if somepony were to die down there? cause right now, it would be our faults.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 06:21:38 pm by jaxler »

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 05, 2012, 06:23:06 pm »

"Thats the purpose of a plan, to make a fight as one-sided as possible." Partison replied.
"But you do have a good point. If they have poison and we don't plan for it, we are sending valuable lives to die, and that is in no way acceptable."
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 06:27:11 pm by zomara0292 »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 05, 2012, 06:30:28 pm »

Virtue takes in a sharp breath at the mention of the poison.  She hadn't considered that possibility... but if it could be half as bad as Jaxler suggested it was, this just got a lot more complicated.

"The last thing I'd want to do is send anypony down there unprepared... if these creatures really are poisonous, then all the more reason to not ask the militia to fight them."  She taps her chin with a hoof.  "Although I'm afraid crossbow bolts alone won't be enough to take some of the tougher ones out... but the thought of anypony going down there and dying, much less from something like an insiduous venom or poison... I'm beginning to question if we should try this at all."

She looks to the two pegasi in her office.  "But, I think morale would improve if we got rid of them.  Even if they've not escaped yet, I can't help but worry.  And the miners would be the first to encounter them, not trained militia.  Maybe the catapult would be the solution?"  She examines the map once again.  "Or a ballista?  Arbalest and Ballista are both trained to use them, we could set up a couple down there... they might be able to finish off the tougher ones."

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 05, 2012, 07:12:58 pm »

Partisan thought about it for a second and then turned to his second in command.
"What do you think Jaxler? Ballistas are more powerful and accurate, Which means they might make the fights shorter, leading to less chance for casualties.But there are dangers that come with them. And they take much longer to make, with the need to craft the shaft and head."

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 05, 2012, 07:53:13 pm »

Jaxler thought to himself for a second "I say we use ballistas. ballistas are more powerful and we haven't the slightest idea how tough these things are. some of these creatures could be made of dirt wile others could be made of pure iron. so i'd say that using the most powerful weapon at our disposal seems to be the best solution."

Jaxler then realizes a huge problem and looks over to virtue "also... what if things go bad? what if there is a cataclysmic military failure? what is the fail-safe? what do you plan to do if we start dropping like flies?"
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 07:58:23 pm by jaxler »

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 05, 2012, 08:04:58 pm »

Partison spoke up quickly.
"That, I already thought of. If we are the only ones that its able to reach, we are the only ones in danger. Hence the two bridges."

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 239