Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My keyboard has no ESC key.  (Read 3533 times)

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My keyboard has no ESC key.
« on: November 18, 2011, 01:42:01 pm »

I installed DF on a new Samsung Slate running Windows 8, one of these machines (http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9219971/5_000_Microsoft_developers_get_Samsung_preview_tablets) The thing is in this version of the OS the on screen keyboard has no ESC key at all. I can not get past the first message that says press ESC to continue. Any suggestions?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: My keyboard has no ESC key.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 01:49:27 pm »

Go to your DF directory, go into the data folder, then into the init folder. You can rebind keys in the interface file, just change [SYM:ESC] into [Key:(keybinding)]
*Hugs*

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 03:41:57 am »

Ah, thank you. I completely missed the significance of that binding.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 03:39:06 pm »

Then go into your kitchen, get a spoon, and pluck out the Microsoft key and try to flick it into your waste can.   :D
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 06:01:18 pm »

Or get AutoHotKey. Great for those situation or even just cases where games don't support some buttons, like the side buttons on many modern mice.

TantrumTime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 08:29:52 pm »

Wait a minute. If you have no ESC key, then how did you put ESC in the thread title?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Somewhere along the way this innocent thread about cheese went horribly, horribly wrong.
I'd say it's par for the course. Did you see that crundle thread? That one started out wrong.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 10:08:28 pm »

Then go into your kitchen, get a spoon, and pluck out the Microsoft key and try to flick it into your waste can.   :D

but... then... how will I play?

I use my windows key to launch dwarf fortress. Windows -> "D" -> Enter. Faster than using the mouse.