Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crash: "Missing plant gloss"  (Read 1189 times)

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crash: "Missing plant gloss"
« on: November 15, 2011, 11:41:46 am »

DF keeps crashing on startup with the error "Missing plant gloss."  Any ideas on how to fix this? Let me know if there is a better place to post this.

EDIT: the crash is when I try to load a saved game. It's just the one most recent save, I can load others.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 12:42:44 pm by Zeebie »

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crash: "Missing plant gloss"
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 11:51:47 am »

You playing with mods?
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 12:11:21 pm »

No mods, just the LNB with Ironhand graphics.  It's been running fine this way for months.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 12:54:05 pm »

You might want to move this to the modding forum, as a missing plant gloss is a problem with the raws/graphics and how the game is reading them. For the moment though did you make any changes to the raws/graphics/init file before this error started happening?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 01:04:59 pm »

You might want to move this to the modding forum, as a missing plant gloss is a problem with the raws/graphics and how the game is reading them. For the moment though did you make any changes to the raws/graphics/init file before this error started happening?

No, I've never edited any of those files.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 07:12:54 pm »

i2amroy, no one on the mod forum seems to be responding. Do you happen to know what files I should be looking at to fix such a problem?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 10:44:58 pm »

I downloaded your save file (posted on the bug tracker), decompressed world.sav (using code from my "beastextract" script), then opened it in a hex editor and found the problem - the plant name for MEADOW-GRASS is corrupted (the first 8 bytes are garbage, leaving just "RASS" at the end). After typing "MEADOW-G" on top of said garbage data, I was able to successfully load the fortress (though everything looked rather strange due to me using a stock ASCII tileset with no custom graphics).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 10:47:07 pm »

Thanks for handling this Quietust. I tend to run into problems sometimes since the whole Mac vs. Windows thing messing stuff up. Normally it doesn't come into play, but with things like compressed worlds I run into problems some times.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 09:40:21 am »

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your help around here.