Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't deal with goblins  (Read 1083 times)

ScorpioN

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Can't deal with goblins
« on: November 14, 2011, 11:14:13 pm »

Hey, I'm pretty new to this game but I've gone through a few fortresses.
I put a good number of hours into them and just as things start getting set up the goblins come and wreck all my progress.
My military gets stomped by them - it isn't even close.
Killing them isn't what I care about though right now. The problem I have is that once goblins arrive, every single one of my dwarves decides it's time to play outside and get murdered.
So, how do I tell all of my dwarves to stay inside the fortress?
From what I've read I'm supposed to issue the order to stay inside [keys o+i], but that option seems to be missing.
This game seems really cool but it's frustrating to have all my work taken from me time after time due to the same issue without much of a solution in sight.
Thanks for reading.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Can't deal with goblins
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 11:23:38 pm »

You could create a burrow (with w) and designate the entire inside of the fortress as a part of that burrow. Or you could seal off the fortress with a drawbridge or similar, although trolls might bash down doors and the like.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

jjcarver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 11:24:26 pm »

Previous versions of Dwarf Fortress included an option to toggle whether or not your dwarves could go outside.  However, the latest version (0.31.25) no longer has that option, because it has been replaced by the concept of "burrows".  For a detailed explanation of exactly what a burrow is and how to define one, see the wiki page.

Basically, what you need to do is define a burrow that represents your "safe zone", the area of the fortress to which you want to restrict your civilian dwarves whenever there's danger (such as a goblin siege).  Then, you assign that burrow to an alert (see this other wiki page for more information on that).  Then, whenever danger happens, you just activate your alert and then watch as all of your civilian dwarves scurry for the safety of the burrow (along with dropping stuff they were carrying and spamming cancellations of jobs they can no longer reach).

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 11:27:45 pm »

The "stay indoors" order was removed several versions ago and replaced with the slightly more complicated but thousands of times more useful burrows. In order to tell all of your civilian dwarves to stay inside you first want to create a new burrow (w)-(a) and then define it with the "enter" key. You want this area to be somewhere safe inside of your fortress. Exit out of the burrow menu and then go into the (m)ilitary (a)lert menu. This is wear you can define burrow restrictions for an alert level, and this is where you will change the alert level to tell your dwarves to come inside or that it is safe to go out. Now press down until you have your "danger" alert level selected. The easiest one is the default "Active/Training" alert. Then press right twice and hit enter on your burrow that you just created. Now you can leave this screen and whenever you want your civilian dwarves to stay inside simply go back to the military alert menu, scroll down to the "Active/Training" alert and hit enter. This should confine all of your dwarves to that burrow you created. when its safe for them to come outside again, simply go back into the alert menu and scroll to the "Inactive" alert and hit enter. This should then let your dwarves be free to wander around again.

As for defending against goblins, I would suggest looking into some of the trap designs on the wiki. Of especial help to early fortresses with a  small number of traps is the Goblin Grinder, which can effectively double or triple the damage capabilities of your traps with only a small amount more effort.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ScorpioN

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 12:09:40 am »

Thanks for all your help guys! I'll try this all out on my next attempt.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 04:12:10 am »

will merchants trigger plates that are set "not civilians"?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 04:18:52 am »

If burrows seem too much, you can do what I do.  Try to keep dwarves inside by not assigning outside jobs or meeting areas.  In addition, behind your drawbridge and barracks, make the fort enterable only by one door(I usually have two, but on the same corridor).  When an ambush pops up, lock 'em.  This generally leaves my militiadwarves outside and my civvies inside, which is what I want during a raid.

In addition to militiadwarves, traps will be a great help, especially weapon and cage traps.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 05:05:51 am »

Nope. Merchants, their animals, your animals, and diplomats count as citizens as far as your pressure plates are concerned.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 06:54:44 am »

great, then i just made a drowning room
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 11:34:06 am »

Nope. Merchants, their animals, your animals, and diplomats count as citizens as far as your pressure plates are concerned.
However, their civ now knows where your traps are, and you must rebuild them if you go to war or the invaders will avoid them.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 12:52:31 pm »

That only applies to actual traps mind you. Things that are triggered by a pull of a lever to drown/magmaize/burn/whatever them are still completely useful.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 07:06:28 am »

i never had one of their diplomats around yet, nor do they habitually go to war with me out of nowhere.... dont destroy the caravan is my advice. Usually you'll have enough junk you want to sell them anyway, and they dont have anything you want that you cant buy, usually...