Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Via Stella [Hiring]  (Read 5160 times)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Via Stella [Hiring]
« on: November 14, 2011, 07:16:09 am »

Introduction

Via Stella is a 2D RPG, Sandbox Simulation Game set in a non-fictional interstellar environment that makes use of Earth governments; European Space, Asia Minor, Asia Major, United Federation, Russian Space.

RPG
Via Stella is an RPG because it has elements of character customization, skills, levelling up, experience, inventory, equipment and so forth. High customization is the key element to making the RPG-side of things enjoyable.

Sandbox
Imagine The Elder Scrolls on an interstellar scale. Go where you want, do what you want, meet who you want, explore where you want. Fight what you want, Fight for who you want, or fight for what you want.
Explore blindly, learning to great depths the history of how the current affair of things came to be, read in-game books, experience other cultures and laws... you get the idea. Freedom.
However, there will also be a "Main Storyline" the player can follow, or sub-storylines and minor missions.
The Main Storyline will have the player experience a gameplay that takes them to the far reaches of space and to experience elements of the game they may find by rare chance otherwise, and to ultimately change the galaxy as it is known.
Sub-storylines are plots that the player can experience that may change small parts of the galaxy, themselves or individual entities.
Minor Missions are classic hand-out quests that will evolve - or devolve - a relationship with the included parties.

Simulation
Via Stella is a Simulation because the player will need to keep his character's needs fulfilled. These include Hunger, Thirst, Sleep, Bladder and Hygiene. Beyond this, employable NPCs will have other needs such as Stress and Trust.

On the technical-simulation side of things, the ship that the player may fly will be a simulated environment. The player will need to control core temperatures, flight paths, atmospherics, and basically keep the ship from falling apart through maintenance.

Key Features
The key features that should be a draw to people is the game's freedom, depth and simulated experience. We want the player to feel truly attached to their ship, to be able to walk around it as well as simple "Board and Fly" it. They should be able to put up posters, to change bed-dressing or to tweak the Operation System of the ship itself.

This is quite a large project, but if released as a base package, attention can be kept and prolongued with consecutive releases to expand the world and available missions, plots, people, items and events in-game.

Profit
I plan to attempt to sell the game through Steam, exposing it to millions of people. If the game was sold at a poultry cost of £4 ($6-ish) and caught the attention of 1/1000 - that's one person for every thousand people - of the 4,016,222 user count(Current statistic, 19/11/2011, 15:11 GMT+0) ... that's £16064.88.

If expansions of very-decent quality were released thereafter at at half the price, that's still a ton of profit.

So, what do I need?

I am in requirement of a Musician and Graphics Designer. Whilst I'm capable of completing the Pixel Graphics myself, any who are able to prove themself moreso capable are welcome to apply.

Musician
For Via Stella, I want music that fits each situation differently. In combat, blood-pumping. In exploration, soft, mysterious, enchanting.

The genre I am looking for is a violin-lead crossover with club/techno. I believe a low, soft beat with the occasional synth, whilst the trill of a Violin in the lead could suit the day-by-day life quite well, whilst it could also be cranked up heavily for violent encounters.

Vanessa Mae - Storm (Four Seasons)
Vanessa Mae - Toccata & Fugue In D Minor

Albeit, as wonderful as it may sound, I imagine it would become quite the drone to hear the same genre over and over throughout the game.
As a result, I believe that having no music in some locations would be better, and exchanging with the hum-drum of the location. For example, on the player's ship, it could simple by the droning of the engine, the occasion bleep and computer noise.

I would also like to have "Concerts" and "Clubs" in the game. The clubs may play your usual club-techno music, whilst concerts may be solo artists with their respective instrument.
Considering this is a gameworld set on humans, you don't need to worry about alien instruments, and we can even chip in some classical pieces.

This next part is entirely hypothetical, but it would be favourable to have a selection of radio stations available. This could be quite demanding though, so it may be part of an expansion in the future, if at all.

Graphics Designer
Whilst I am able with Pixel Art, I am terribly ashamed that my College years went to waste, two years of working with photoshop and I have picked up so very little in the terms of Graphic Design. I have the ability, but just not the skill to create pieces worthy of display.
As a result, I find myself in need of somebody who is able to create graphic backdrops for menus and display items that would be used on the main screen, for example.

Pay
I have no available coin, but I am willing to share a fair % cut of future profits, as long as you aren't slacking off or half-assing your part of the bargain.
What's to stop me from using the above as an excuse not to pay you in the end? As I previously mentioned, I hope to keep expanding on this game. Therefore it would make no sense to cut off a valuable resource for short-term gain, which would endanger long-term gain.

What do you have so far?

So far, In planning, I have a basic 36-page document that introduces each feature of the game, which I hope to expand with input from team-members as they see fit for requirement.
Development-wise, I have the map, male sprite sheet and the an example room layout made.
Team-member-wise, RulerOfNothing is programming, and I am pixelling.

The game is early in development and recently regenerated, due to a failed previous team.

Spoiler: In-game (click to show/hide)

Interested?

Drop me a PM or a message on this thread showing you are interested, with details of previous experience as solo or in a team, any past works available and how long you've been doing it for!

Thank you for your time,
  Azkanan.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 10:50:04 am by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Require a Programmer/Pixel Artist/Musician!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 07:44:39 am »

If this is in the wrong section, please let me know. I was going to put it into Creative Projects, but then realised this isn't a project thread!

So, for my project

It should be in Creative Projects.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 08:44:37 am »

I could help with the music, but I'm kinda out of ideas, and even then, I probably produce more junk than anything usable.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 08:56:22 am »

Out of general interest, do you have a dev blog/web site?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 09:24:58 am »

Well, I'm trying to improve my skills in pixel-art, but I'm just starting out and using Paint.net, so you could favor me over others if you want. I'll get a demonstration of my work PMed to you as soon as possible.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 10:17:57 am »

If you can articulate what you want in terms of Isometric art resources I can produce some mockups.
Probably gonna need to know a general scale also. As burningpet said, devblog would be nice.
But articulate what you want from artist and we can do this, Bay 12 can make this happen!
Thank you based dwarf.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 12:46:34 pm »

Thank you all for your positive responses!

Apologies on lack of clarity, I wasn't thinking straight when I was writing the thread.

If the game were 2D, we would be using 64*96 sprites, so that on an isometric scale, is the scale I wish.

As for what is required, the entire game. Quite demanding, I know. Sprites, portraits, paperdolled items, icons, tilesets, so forth.

Also highly in need is the User Interface (Menus, title screens, game interface, etc), which can be in Pixel or Vector - whichever comes out best in your hand. If the selected candidate is unable to produce this, then I will have to take it under my own wing, as opposed to hiring a UI artist.

As for DevBlog, no. Nothing sufficable, at least. Everything was basically slowed to tortoise speed till the other two came back around the turn of the Month. Didn't happen.
I do however have a Design Manual, which is basically an explanation of each feature. 30-something pages long, I think.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 02:10:57 pm by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

malloc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 02:14:37 pm »

Not to be a dick or anything, but this line made me laugh quite a bit:
">Via Stella's programming will be built in arrays and types, so that it can be easily modified in the future for expansions."
It's redundant infomation for anyone who can program, it would roughly be the same as saying "Our legofort will be built of legoes".

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 05:17:07 pm »

I don't really wanna be that guy; but if you're looking for a coder, artist and musician, then what exactly is your desired role in project?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 06:37:32 pm »

Not to be a dick or anything, but this line made me laugh quite a bit:
">Via Stella's programming will be built in arrays and types, so that it can be easily modified in the future for expansions."
It's redundant infomation for anyone who can program, it would roughly be the same as saying "Our legofort will be built of legoes".

Apparently, there's an alternative for quicker programming (Presumably messier, too). :P

I don't really wanna be that guy; but if you're looking for a coder, artist and musician, then what exactly is your desired role in project?

My desired role in the project would be all of the above, but alas my skills lack such ability. Ergo, I'll be doing all the text file writing. Yes, it's the classic "No-skill no-brainer" job, but in fact there's a lot to be done.
It's also my part in the project to be directing and organising the project, what needs to go where and when, so forth.

I need only a Programmer at the minimum, whereas my less-than-brilliant graphics will suffice. They're not terrible, but they're not great, either. My bar has been set high by the previous able Pixel Artist.

In actuality considering the huge amount of graphics required, it's likely to be myself doing such, because I'm an avid no-lifer :P
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 06:52:26 pm »

Well, I'm interested in doing some game programming. What do you need in terms of that, Azkanan?

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 06:55:47 pm »

Well, I'm interested in doing some game programming. What do you need in terms of that, Azkanan?

Ha! I really should of asked you personally first, really, considering how helpful you've been so far in terms of the game.

However, it would be unfair of me not to go through the proper procedures of recruitment beforehand.

What is required for the game is everything, really. Core engine, visual and audio representation, movement, interaction, inner-workings, editors (Map, NPC, Skill, Item, etc).

Edit;
Ah also, it's to be said, if I wind up doing the graphics then the game will need to be in 2D. I have no experience, practice or skill in 2.5D graphics.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 06:57:37 pm »

Ah also, it's to be said, if I wind up doing the graphics then the game will need to be in 2D. I have no experience, practice or skill in 2.5D graphics.

2D looks better anyway.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 07:02:35 pm »

Hey, uh, I sent some example images and forgot to label them. Are they okay for the style of the game you are looking for?

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 07:08:02 pm »

Hey, uh, I sent some example images and forgot to label them. Are they okay for the style of the game you are looking for?

Apologies, I was waiting for the now-gone pixel artist to respond to a request, so I could show you the quality I was looking for, as opposed to responding negatively alone.

But, hand forced, I'm afraid they're not the droids quality I'm looking for. :<
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4