Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Eaten Alive  (Read 7615 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Eaten Alive
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 06:14:06 pm »

This reminds me strongly of the picture in the "DF2010:Losing" article in the magmawiki:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My thoughts: If a dwarf was eaten by a dragon, and still alive and kicking, he would have to be able to cut himself out of the dragon's stomach. That would be both gruesome and undeniably epic.

OH GOD IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE IT'S TRUE.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 06:35:30 pm »

This reminds me strongly of the picture in the "DF2010:Losing" article in the magmawiki:

My thoughts: If a dwarf was eaten by a dragon, and still alive and kicking, he would have to be able to cut himself out of the dragon's stomach. That would be both gruesome and undeniably epic.

OH GOD IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE IT'S TRUE.
This is my favorite DF-related picture.  I think it was my first exposure to DF, too.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 06:46:26 pm »

Quote from: ToadyOne
PowerGoal 89, DIGESTIVE TRACT LESSON, (Future): You are eaten by the dragon. It chews on you briefly, and you are grieviously wounded, but it swallows you and you survive. The powerful acids in its stomach surround you, but you are protected by your ring. Eventually you are passed into the intestines, where nutrients and water are absorbed, and then you are excreted.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2011, 07:21:57 pm »

PowerGoal 89, DIGESTIVE TRACT LESSON, (Future): You are eaten by the dragon. It chews on you briefly, and you are grieviously wounded, but it swallows you and you survive. The powerful acids in its stomach surround you, but you are protected by your ring. Eventually you are passed into the intestines, where nutrients and water are absorbed, and then you are excreted.
I read that too, but my general opinion on that is, 1. It takes too long, and 2. You're going to smell really bad when you reach the other end. If you're not dead of disease. Does the ring protect against disease? or rot?
I say we use swords. Rings are cool, swords get the job done.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2011, 07:23:07 pm »

I read that too, but my general opinion on that is, 1. It takes too long, and 2. You're going to smell really bad when you reach the other end. If you're not dead of disease. Does the ring protect against disease? or rot?

Dragon faeces covering:
OH GOD IT'S EVERYWHERE

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2011, 07:40:22 pm »

Dragon faeces covering:
OH GOD IT'S EVERYWHERE

I really don't look forward to this being included in DF or the My Little Fortress.
(warning spoilers contain some sick shit... especially the second one.)

"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Kallin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2011, 09:56:11 pm »

Dragon faeces covering:
OH GOD IT'S EVERYWHERE

Given that Toady hasn't implemented anything close to this in the current game, and I seem to remember reading that he didn't intend to, I don't think this is going to happen.

Although one side effect of this is that dwarves are apparently either black holes, or 100% efficient users of food and drink.
I'm on and off. I usually pop up for a few months then head out for a few.

You've got tentacle teeth or ribbon goblins.  Pick your poison.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2011, 12:57:43 pm »

It's a cosmetic difference in implementation though. After all, you'll want the acidy stomach part even if you shy away from the logical consequences of being swallowed. That being said, breathing is the more urgent problem in that situation I think. If swallowed by an anaconda or similar, the adventurer will probably be able to cut himself loose.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2011, 02:31:49 pm »

It's a cosmetic difference in implementation though. After all, you'll want the acidy stomach part even if you shy away from the logical consequences of being swallowed. That being said, breathing is the more urgent problem in that situation I think. If swallowed by an anaconda or similar, the adventurer will probably be able to cut himself loose.
Good point, somehow I hadn't even thought of that.  ???

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2011, 03:14:38 pm »

You kidding? Unless it swallowed you hands first, you would be stuck like a doll in a stocking, if that stocking was a wall of contracting muscle digesting you.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2011, 03:32:00 pm »

You kidding? Unless it swallowed you hands first, you would be stuck like a doll in a stocking, if that stocking was a wall of contracting muscle digesting you.
So you only need a sharp edge on your boot or a knife that slips out of your sleeve, and the contractions will make the cutting moves for you. Granted, you'll need to make it a hundred times more likely to happen in the game than in reality (up to 1% of the times or so). It wouldn't be the first anaconda that was ripped apart because they overestimated their stomach capacity.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2011, 02:11:55 pm »

Have you seen an anaconda devour a small alligator?

Plus, a sharp edge of your boot, or a knife with your arms firmly planted by your sides, would be useless. At best, the dragon/elf would choke on you :P

(Though I imagine the Elf would cut you first with a wooden spork).

If your arms were really short, or swallowed first, then, YEP, we'd whole baby dwarves jumping out of the recently dead bodies of elves.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2011, 02:26:24 pm »

I'm assuming there's some wriggle room - and there is if the swallowed one is strong enough. It's not an option for everyone, obviously.

Why would a sharp-edged boot be useless with your arms by your side? Just press your boot tip or spur against the stomach of the beast.

Dwarves: really short. A dwarf's arm: really short. Plus, a dwarf swallowed in combat would have been holding his weapons anyway.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2011, 04:35:00 pm »

Dwarves: really short. A dwarf's arm: really short. Plus, a dwarf swallowed in combat would have been holding his weapons anyway.
Unless they were screaming and running in a random direction like Dwarves so love to do.

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2011, 07:54:00 pm »

I know it has (happily) mostly passed now, but before suggesting that elves eat anything alive, recall why elves eat anything they slay: It would be a waste/blasphemy to kill something and leave it to rot. Elves do not kill to eat, they eat because they had to kill.

With that out of the way:
Yes, carnivorous creatures with a mouth should have an "eat" attack they can use on substantially smaller creatures. In a simple implementation it would be instakill, in a more complex one there might be more phases, like a medium-sized creature being eaten had to be chewed first, which would kill them in the process, and then they were swallowed, while creatures swallowed whole could perhaps get a few ticks to counter with an attack from inside, that could instead lethally wound the eater.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4