Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: We are the Hive Mind  (Read 14355 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: We are the Hive Mind
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 05:43:06 am »

Try not to attract ARK's attention.

Maybe we should try to convince Michael to put a part of us within the worms' cage?  :P

I wonder if hiding a part of the mind within the worms we would be able to hide it from the ARK?

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 05:43:39 am »

(OOC: I will be the chaosmind. My corner contains the perfect randomness (the absolute noise), and in my tune lies in the confusion, the change, and the maddening strange, but I know what I aught to do from the rest of the song.)

Sing colors to ARK-- beautiful colors!--, colors that cannot exist and would make the thinkers dance with great big spasms of Joy and Laughter. These wonderful colors are explicitly to tell ARK that we're sorry about SUBVERSION, and we'll be good! See?!
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 05:45:18 am »

ARK would probably just kill us if we tried to make it our ally.

We are to it, as elves are to bay12.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2011, 05:52:08 am »

(OOC:

You seem to be reacting to what my song is trying to do, rather than what I'm trying to do.)
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2011, 06:12:40 am »

(OOC:

You seem to be reacting to what my song is trying to do, rather than what I'm trying to do.)

Well actually, I'd say interacting with ARK in general would doom us.

Unless of course, we infect some random computer and begin a technological war :D
Hey, we could even assimilate ARK then and gain his uber insane AI skills... But until then, lets stick to worms shall we?

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2011, 06:30:44 am »

(OOC: Strike two; what do you think chaos and imaginative gibberish would do to a computer that has to analyze it all? If the main goal here is to make and execute a plan without ARK knowning, we have to jam its mind readings. Make it so that what it reads is gibberish to anything and anoyone but us and our chosen recipients. This is best accomplished by creating a masking "encryption code" based on the ever-changing dreams of those who we wish to talk with. My voice doesn't know any of this, but it grew and became active in response to the need.

Do we need the explicit Out Of Character marks, Dwarmin? Has Loud Whisper's last two posts been taken into account by the AI as thoughts?)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2011, 06:38:20 am »

Wait, ARK reads the posts as thoughts?
We are surely doomed. Quick, lower your thoughts!

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2011, 07:00:05 am »

to contact the Great Thinker i suggest, being the head and all that.
 We must show him pictures of Grandeur talk to him like a souffleur
 to make his mind calm and peaceful, towards us few so that we might grow,
and get on this show. The Worms are not good they inspire fear and ARK would not like this idea.

(ok veeeery bad rhyme)

what i want to say is that we contact the Great Thinker brothers and sisters, show him our peacefulness and that we are not dangerous,
talk to him that we are in fact intelligent and peaceful. To achieve that we should suggest to his cat to enter the containment room were we are or at least get her very close. THe Researcher will of course look after his cat and once he is close enough we establish a mental connection and only talk to him no invading thoughts at the moment. We send him calm soothing colours and the sound of purring cats. Also send him a mathematical equation, something simple at first like: 1+1=2 or something. This will show him that we are intelligent although in his eyes not very far evolved. Meanwhile do the thing our chaotic brohter said.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2011, 07:03:44 am »

to contact the Great Thinker i suggest, being the head and all that.
 We must show him pictures of Grandeur talk to him like a souffleur
 to make his mind calm and peaceful, towards us few so that we might grow,
and get on this show. The Worms are not good they inspire fear and ARK would not like this idea.

(ok veeeery bad rhyme)

what i want to say is that we contact the Great Thinker brothers and sisters, show him our peacefulness and that we are not dangerous,
talk to him that we are in fact intelligent and peaceful. To achieve that we should suggest to his cat to enter the containment room were we are or at least get her very close. THe Researcher will of course look after his cat and once he is close enough we establish a mental connection and only talk to him no invading thoughts at the moment. We send him calm soothing colours and the sound of purring cats. Also send him a mathematical equation, something simple at first like: 1+1=2 or something. This will show him that we are intelligent although in his eyes not very far evolved. Meanwhile do the thing our chaotic brohter said.

We do not want to alert the others to our probing - ARK knows we are trying to contact the voices, and will alert them if we continue to do so so early and so boldly.

If we take over a few worms, we'll gradually be able to hide from ARK's gaze, grow in strength (which is what they want), and spread our influence. ARK would have no quarrels because that is exactly what it thinks his master's want.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2011, 07:14:59 am »

(OOC: I will be the chaosmind. My corner contains the perfect randomness (the absolute noise), and in my tune lies in the confusion, the change, and the maddening strange, but I know what I aught to do from the rest of the song.)

Sing colors to ARK-- beautiful colors!--, colors that cannot exist and would make the thinkers dance with great big spasms of Joy and Laughter. These wonderful colors are explicitly to tell ARK that we're sorry about SUBVERSION, and we'll be good! See?!

((I'll be one of the nameless cores of the instinct of chaos.))

Yes, this, We shall do, for the ARK is just simple machine; it only operates by protocol and programming. Sing to it! Yea, sing to it gayly, with the colors of blue and grey! We shall overload it with nonsense and madness, and We shall escape from the painful shackles that bind us!

Tell me, brethren, have you ever heard of something called 'Dadaism'?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2011, 07:19:27 am »

@ Loud Whispers: i suggested it along the action of Nivm...

and oh me brother, the Dadaism is the wrong way it's colours and pictures far to ordered they are, it needs no order nor sense, else our friend Ark will now how to react and trash our message all together without end...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2011, 07:28:21 am »

Theoretically, ARK could do more cps then the human brain... It is not following the protocols, only being held in check by said protocols.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2011, 07:31:35 am »

Aye, if that's what you think, brothers. We must find a way to jam this machine and make it stop following our thoughts. We must make it... ours.

What do you brethren have to suggest on jamming the machine and speaking in a way the machine does not understand?

We must hurry, the machine is prying our minds open and it hurts.

PAIN.

IT.. HURTS...

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2011, 07:43:36 am »

(OOC: I'm having one of those days were it seems like almost every post is worth facepalming over, and I feel like a have no reasonable hope of untieing the knots of thought. New Guy, why would any part of the song have any idea what Dadaism was unless that got it from one of the voices? I doubt any of the researchers or staff are focusing on such a thing.
 Also, if your going to be one of the nameless cores of the..."instinct of chaos" [which deserves a shudder: instincts cover the things that move away from chaos, like the sex drive and will to survive] while in-character, you're going to need to write very differently. Perhaps read the Cryptonomicon by Stephenson and enough of Carroll's works that you come to understand the divides between nonsense, imagination, randomness, chaos, and madness [hint: none of them are synonyms].
 It would be nice to have some decent Poetry like before [I would peg what I wrote at "mediocre with a couple half-decent spots"], but I only know of three people who can manage it, and even they can't do it all the time.)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2011, 07:56:17 am »

(OOC: I'm having one of those days were it seems like almost every post is worth facepalming over, and I feel like a have no reasonable hope of untieing the knots of thought. New Guy, why would any part of the song have any idea what Dadaism was unless that got it from one of the voices? I doubt any of the researchers or staff are focusing on such a thing.
 Also, if your going to be one of the nameless cores of the..."instinct of chaos" [which deserves a shudder: instincts cover the things that move away from chaos, like the sex drive and will to survive] while in-character, you're going to need to write very differently. Perhaps read the Cryptonomicon by Stephenson and enough of Carroll's works that you come to understand the divides between nonsense, imagination, randomness, chaos, and madness [hint: none of them are synonyms].
 It would be nice to have some decent Poetry like before [I would peg what I wrote at "mediocre with a couple half-decent spots"], but I only know of three people who can manage it, and even they can't do it all the time.)

(OOC: Well, sorry about the whole instinct of chaos thing. First off, I'm kinda running out of ideas, and I know that chaos is not an instinct. It's not an emotion either, and my mind's kinda hazy on vocabulary. Next, the whole instinct thing is OOC, and while you might hate my idea, I'm kinda basing it on Zerg cerebrates, which converse with hiveminds and stuff. Next, the whole Dadaism stuff is unrelated to the song thing; it was idle conversation and a backup plan incase the song thing doesn't work. Lastly, I plan to add a different personality on my character, but I'm not quite sure which. Should I go the Sheogorath way, or do the constantly changing personality jig/schizophrenia? Hope this clears things up.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12