Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Any recommended horror games?  (Read 6931 times)

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
Any recommended horror games?
« on: November 11, 2011, 05:06:57 pm »

I'm kinda, with some of my pals, organizing a weekend or something where we can all play horror games together, piss our pants for fun and all that.
It all happened when we saw PewDiePie play Ao Oni on youtube, fucking made me twitch and contract my elbows everytime the Oni was closing up.

Mainly any game, like console games, maybe free... Or perhaps a steam sale or something. One of my friends already got Amnesia on Steam and she wants me to play it...

So please Bay12, you're my only hope. *Pew pew, Laser, Pew pew*

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Any recommended horror games?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 05:12:20 pm »

LSD dream emulator is pretty creepy.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 05:35:28 pm »

Amnesia relate posts incoming:
(In all seriousness, play Amnesia for piss your pants scary.)

Also, you could try to make a game out of /r/scary or /r/creepypasta. (I'm assuming you know what Reddit is)
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 05:41:47 pm »

Sniper: Ghost Warrior was pretty horrifying.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Pakhawaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 05:52:47 pm »

I've heard Amnesia is terrifying, personally I've too much of a soft heart for that sort of thing.
Alone in the Dark is a game which scared me when I was little and still scares me today, I think it might be abandonware now, at least I think it was on the Underdogs at one point.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 06:03:02 pm »

Alone in the Dark is on Great Old Games for $6, and remains surprisingly scary despite its age. It's from the era of weird 3d graphics that have about ten polygons per model, but that really only enhances the surreal creepiness. I would never want to see anything that looked even remotely like the main character models in real life.

It has a bit of a flaw in that you kind of need to keep an FAQ open to avoid cheap instadeaths and know what anything is. It's possible I'm just dumb, but I would have had no idea that mirror beats gargoyle (I think it was a mirror?) otherwise.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 06:12:05 pm »

Keep the recommendations going guys. I appreciate all your efforts. May the Exe be with you. <3

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 06:25:59 pm »

There was an NES game called Sweet Home that was released only in Japan.  It's an RPG and precursor to Resident Evil.  Might not be horror, but it's creepy.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 06:27:26 pm »

If you want to give yourself a David Lynchian emotional complex and your brain to fall apart, you could always play Mondo Medicals. It's free!
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 06:42:50 pm »

Alone in the Dark is on Great Old Games for $6, and remains surprisingly scary despite its age. It's from the era of weird 3d graphics that have about ten polygons per model, but that really only enhances the surreal creepiness. I would never want to see anything that looked even remotely like the main character models in real life.

It has a bit of a flaw in that you kind of need to keep an FAQ open to avoid cheap instadeaths and know what anything is. It's possible I'm just dumb, but I would have had no idea that mirror beats gargoyle (I think it was a mirror?) otherwise.

It wasn't so much a flaw at the time it was made. Trail and error gameplay was ingrained at the time and it wasn't considered unusual to need to restart the game 10, 20, as many as it took times in order to beat it. Another World for example include many instadeaths and unwinnable situations as part of its gameplay.

Heck just play any Seirra point and click and compare it to the rare few modern point and clicks. You are going to die WAAAY more in the old Seirra games then you are in even the most death filled point and click now adays (which I consider a loss)

Horror Point and Clicks include: Phantasmagoria, Chzo series (free), Gabriel Knight series (only 1 and 2 are good... neither are all that scary).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 06:44:56 pm by Neonivek »

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 06:54:33 pm »

It wasn't so much a flaw at the time it was made. Trail and error gameplay was ingrained at the time and it wasn't considered unusual to need to restart the game 10, 20, as many as it took times in order to beat it. Another World for example include many instadeaths and unwinnable situations as part of its gameplay.

Heck just play any Seirra point and click and compare it to the rare few modern point and clicks. You are going to die WAAAY more in the old Seirra games then you are in even the most death filled point and click now adays (which I consider a loss)

Spoilered my post because I talk about horror design, and knowing too much about horror design takes some of the fun out of playing the games. In particular it could possibly make Amnesia significantly less scary.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 07:17:17 pm »

Maybe it wasn't considered a flaw when it was made, but it's definitely a flaw. Horror games are scariest when you're deeply immersed, but nothing breaks immersion like dying unexpectedly. The art of horror games is creating a game where the player is always afraid they'll die, not one where they always actually do die.

It depends how death is handled. I mean some of the horror games I listed have only ONE section where it is even possible to die and others had constant death.

For the most part the "deaths" in Alone in the Dark are well handled (except for... a lot of them...) and make the mansion come alive with the sheer horror and futility of your situation.

The reason I consider the loss of really death filled horror games isn't because I consider "never dying" to be supperior (afterall there is no death in 7th Guest) or "Tons of Death" to be supperior... but rather that the "art of death" has been lost in an age where people can't handle a loss or two.

It's not scary to die

Ohh dear goodness I disagree. Anyone who died to the Bones or the Boogyman in KQ7 can attest to that (It is interesting. Ooga Booga shouldn't be scary but it somehow is). The major reason why death tends not to be "scary" is just that it tends to be final and thus releases a lot of emotion. A good game designer however can allow a game to remain scary even after a death sequence... In fact it can be just what it takes to shake someone out of their false sense of security without going all out like Amnesia does (for example if it wanted to be subtle. Which Amnesia doesn't do, Amnesia goes pop scare horror from the second you enter the game. Phantasmagoria on the otherhand, considered mediocre but I consider it underrated, spends large swaths of the game using nothing but subtly).

Thus its "flaw" is only so much in the fact that death is only included in modern games as an outcome but never really planned AND that modern audiances are less patient with videogames and reject any sort of barrier to their enjoyment including the game itself.

Some of the cheapest deaths in Alone in the Dark really did contribute more to the game then if they just allowed you to survive them by throwing boxes. MIND you... I am not saying Alone in the Dark didn't have really dumb deaths that are stupid and I don't like them... It is just that you were meant to play anyhow even if you died.

In conclusion: it is more alternate types of play and how to handle horror then genuin fault.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 07:37:15 pm by Neonivek »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 08:01:04 pm »

inb4moreamnesiarecommendations

The Suffering was a good third-person shooter horror game, in the sense that it is a good shooter and an okay horror. However, it is not a survival horror game, so yeah, it isn't as creepy as many others posted here.

If you want the jump-out-of-chair type of scare, may I suggest Dead Space 1/2, if it isn't suggested already?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 08:07:19 pm »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 02:07:33 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 08:15:53 pm »

The first Silent Hill (for the PS1). The voice acting was kinda bad, but I still found it to be the scariest thing I've ever played (and I played it years after it was released, on an emulator).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4