Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Natural Waterfalls  (Read 764 times)

McDwarfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Natural Waterfalls
« on: November 10, 2011, 03:36:06 pm »

Hi there,

I would like to build a fortress based around a natural waterfall. In particular, it'd be great if there could be an opening behind it for the dwarves to hang out on. I'd really like the mist effect to be going on. :)

Problem is, I can't seem to make this happen! I've tried generating different maps and starting in different places. I've paid attention to elevation. I must be doing something wrong, because I never seem to get the waterfall, or I end up starting way up high and the 'differently elevated' water supply just ends up being water in a big gorge.

Any hints on making this happen, please?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Natural Waterfalls
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 05:18:01 pm »

Try turning "Periodically Erode Extreme Cliffs" off in world gen, and you might try decreasing erosion cycles as well. Those should help to increase the chances of you getting canyons with waterfalls in them. Other than that there isn't much I can tell you save that waterfalls tend to show up more often on the boundaries of two different biomes. Other than that it is just a bunch of hard work looking until you find what you want.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 10:32:01 pm »

make a map with a major river or a super major river(what is the term for the biggest rive) amd then fin a brook or streem going into it and there almost always is 1 then odds are that the river will be the bottom of a gorge and the streem will drop down into it. i've had this happen any time ive worked there
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 10:47:45 pm »

While you're looking around the map for your site you can check out height differences. You know?

If you embark on a river that crosses a massive height difference you will either find a waterfall or a deep canyon with a river at the bottom. Both of which are rad.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 10:59:46 pm »

While you're looking around the map for your site you can check out height differences. You know?

If you embark on a river that crosses a massive height difference you will either find a waterfall or a deep canyon with a river at the bottom. Both of which are rad.

huge rivers with3 waterfalls are the most awesome

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 11:38:27 am »

I love the chance to dig into one of those canyons, if only for the chance to play with the waterfall.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 12:07:07 pm »

I used to get those embarks all the time, with my more naive starts[1], and with huge rock stacks (worldgen having eroded complex canyons, through which the river was now flowing along a different route from what it had obviously done before), but perhaps because I choose sites with extesive soil layers, these days (since I found out how to farm!) and play them for longer, there's less chance of me working in those places, these days.  It might also be a bit different, under .31

Pity, I quite liked making "rock ladders" up and down them, and bridges between them and across to canyon sides, as a kind of natural stand-alone portcullis choke-point.  And poking windows out of the canyon and stack sides for multi-level living.

If I weren't in the midst of one fortress, right now, I might try to get back to that...

[1] Early 40d, or was it 23a..? Not actually sure when I matured, as a player, and started to think about where I was starting, and thus missing out on some of the more intriguing geologies and geographies because I was looking for certain things that aren't compatible with them.  I've actively been looking at uninteruppted plains, a lot, these days, which obviously precludes such contour-full terrain.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 01:20:14 pm »

I look for places where two rivers meet. They usually are at different elevations, so one falls into the other.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

geneisnotlame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 08:13:09 pm »

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE TWO RIVERS GOING INTO ONE ANOTHER> THE HIGH ONE WILL EMPTY INTO INTO THE LOW ONE> MAKE SURE AT THE JUCTION THERE IS AN ELEVATOIN CHANGE. PLEASE SEND ME PICKTRUES OF THE WASTERFAA

FAITHFULLY

UP

CRAB

KASTERS

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 11:21:04 pm »

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE TWO RIVERS GOING INTO ONE ANOTHER> THE HIGH ONE WILL EMPTY INTO INTO THE LOW ONE> MAKE SURE AT THE JUCTION THERE IS AN ELEVATOIN CHANGE. PLEASE SEND ME PICKTRUES OF THE WASTERFAA

FAITHFULLY

UP

CRAB

KASTERS

QFT

Look for elevation changes and two rivers coming together. I'm currently on a fort with an awesome 10z waterfall. I like it.

And the quoted message is great.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 10:27:19 am »

If you have a strong computer sometimes you can get two or three rivers all flowing into one spot. Two is kind of common, three is RARE. But it's awesome.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 05:05:54 pm »

if y want a water fall just find a giant river. if a stream of 2 is flowing into it then its your lucky day