Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What exactly is this dwarf asking for?  (Read 2245 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What exactly is this dwarf asking for?
« on: November 10, 2011, 03:10:04 am »

He mutters "tree of life...must have, cloth thread...must have" as well as leather and bones. I can make some leather and get bone, but how do i get cloth thread exactly? I have the standard cloth you embark with, and we have wood, but i'm unsure what he means by tree of life.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What exactly is this dwarf asking for?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 03:17:11 am »

"Cloth... thread..." just means cloth. However, he might want a specific kind of cloth, one of plant, silk, or yarn. "Tree... life..." means wood. I'm pretty sure the standard embark cloth is pig tail, which is plant-based, so if he's not taking that, he might be seeking silk or animal wool cloth, which unfortunately can be tricky to get ahold of on short notice. He also might want more than stack of leather or bone if he's already gathered one of those.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 03:21:53 am »

Fuck...alright no choice but to let him go nuts and butcher him if need be. Thanks

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 03:25:34 am »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Mood

This page will answer all your questions about moods!

gomwon

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 06:25:09 am »

You can also hope for traders. When i get traders, i always make sure i have at least 1 bin of each type of cloth for moods.

http://twitter.com/#!/Gompasta for Dwarf Fortress Tweetspam.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 01:52:51 pm »

"Cloth... thread..." just means cloth. However, he might want a specific kind of cloth, one of plant, silk, or yarn. "Tree... life..." means wood. I'm pretty sure the standard embark cloth is pig tail, which is plant-based, so if he's not taking that, he might be seeking silk or animal wool cloth, which unfortunately can be tricky to get ahold of on short notice. He also might want more than stack of leather or bone if he's already gathered one of those.

I've come across a dwarf wanting *candy* cloth as well.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 06:48:40 pm »

Its either plant cloth, silk or yarn, I've never seen a dwarf demand metal cloth before, but I have had dwarves take addy cloth into the moody workshop
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 01:10:56 am »

specially for this case i always try to bring some silk cloth on embark and i take sheep anyway
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 02:27:12 am »

Fuck...alright no choice but to let him go nuts and butcher him if need be. Thanks

by NO means!
this is EXACTLY the type of situation that is the beginning of GREAT stories!
slaughter you an animal QUICK! get that spinner to stop whatever else he/she's doing and turn that hair into thread.
Meanwhile, open up a little hole into the caverns and send a few brave weavers down there to look for silk.
weave them both into cloth once you're done and hope nothing fun happens while you've got your fort's butt cheeks all spread open like that...

fun.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 02:37:36 am »

put doors around his workshop, lock them and leave him to starve
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Kallin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 02:45:01 am »

Also, here's something that I think is very important. In my experience so far, dwarves will not skip an item and collect the others. They must be available in the order that the dwarf states his demands. So if he asks for tree, life, then cloth, plant, then bones, yes, in that order, if you do not have wood, then he will not start collecting the cloth or bones.

Also, press v, z, enter, and check his preferences. If he has a like for a particular kind of plant cloth, sometimes he will require exactly that type (but won't tell you).
I'm on and off. I usually pop up for a few months then head out for a few.

You've got tentacle teeth or ribbon goblins.  Pick your poison.