Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "The impertinent vegetation has defaced a Obok Kubukenor!"?  (Read 1155 times)

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"The impertinent vegetation has defaced a Obok Kubukenor!"?
« on: November 10, 2011, 02:52:01 am »

I've had this turn up in my announcements twice now.. and I can't figure out what it means, it won't let me zoom to location so I can't observe it.

Anyone have an idea what it is?
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "The impertinent vegetation has defaced a Obok Kubukenor!"?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 03:13:22 am »

You've got masterpiece engravings that have had water spilled on them, causing them to become muddied. Plants then have grown in the mud, destroying the engraving.

It'll give the engraver in question an unhappy thought when it happens, the severity of which depends on how many masterworks he's created. As engravers tend to create hundreds of masterpieces, he's probably not in any danger of going mad as a result of this.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 03:29:59 am »

thanks :) that makes sense, a little water pressure experiment resulted in the partial flooding of my hospital and a corner of the dining hall next door, which is filled with masterwork engravings
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 04:53:27 am »

If I may add, plant growth does look good on engraved masterpieces in real life, sort of like ruins. Why isn't this put in DF?

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 06:13:34 am »

If I may add, plant growth does look good on engraved masterpieces in real life, sort of like ruins. Why isn't this put in DF?

that would make a pretty cool feature :)

this is a masterwork engraving of dwarves in dacite. The dwarves are labouring. Patches of cave moss have grown over the engraving, obscuring some details.

:D

Diicc Tater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 08:24:21 am »

do you walk like an elf as well?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 08:33:22 am »

it looks good in ancient ruins with the engraver long dead, not on, for example, the sistine chapel or the papal palace or some other monument thats still in use (spelling may be a bit off)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 08:45:01 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 08:39:02 am »

it looks good in ancient ruins with the engraver long dead, not on, for example, the sistine chapel

Pretty sure Michaelangelo isn't alive any more, but I understand your point.

You could just arrange for your engraver to have an unfortunate accident.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 10:26:03 am »

Maybe tile data structure stores vegetation and engraving data in the same part of memory?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 10:46:02 am »

it looks good in ancient ruins with the engraver long dead, not on, for example, the sistine chapel

Pretty sure Michaelangelo isn't alive any more, but I understand your point.

You could just arrange for your engraver to have an unfortunate accident.

I don't think he implied ol' Mikey was still alive, more that the Sistine was. Thus, plants look great on abandoned ruins, and not so much on buildings we still use?
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 10:52:59 am »

Maybe tile data structure stores vegetation and engraving data in the same part of memory?
That is indeed the problem - engravings can only exist on tiles of type "smooth floor" and "smooth wall", and vegetation (trees, shrubs, and grass) uses distinct tile types.
Moss (not "cave moss", just regular moss), however, would work just fine, since that's just another tile flag that can coexist with everything else, but moss all but disappeared from the game a long time ago, only recently reappearing in Megabeast shrines (due to their similarity to the undead ruins of long ago).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.