Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Woodcutters wont cut wood?  (Read 681 times)

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Woodcutters wont cut wood?
« on: November 09, 2011, 11:13:13 pm »

Just all of a sudden, they refuse to go cut any wood. They will still do other jobs, including gathering plants, but if I try to get them to chop wood they just stand in their rooms with "no job".

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Woodcutters wont cut wood?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 11:28:38 pm »

did you change designations lately? do they have axes?

did you build anything lately that might limit their acces?
locked doors, raise bridges, walls?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 11:33:04 pm »

Nothing changed, they finished one plot of trees, so I told them to go chop another set of trees and they wont. I need the wood so I can build barrels so I can brew some drink so I can get some seeds so I can plant some surface crops so I can feed my dwarves.

I have nothing in their way, and I know they have axes unless they decided to randomly drop them or give them to someone else.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 11:44:31 pm »

Are any burrow restrictions in effect?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 11:47:37 pm »

press (o)rders then gather (w)ood

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 11:48:26 pm »

press (o)rders then gather (w)ood
That only affects hauling the freshly cut logs - it won't stop them from cutting down additional trees.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 11:58:07 pm »

press v and check what they are doing. If thats not what you did, that is. the therapist will show dwarfs on break as no job. Maybe they dont feel like woodcutting for an hour or two?
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 11:59:39 pm »

I have figured out the problem, but I dont know how to solve it. For some reason my woodcutters have decided to carry around some crossbows and put the axes into storage! How do I make them go get the axes back?

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 12:01:27 am »

press v and check what they are doing. If thats not what you did, that is. the therapist will show dwarfs on break as no job. Maybe they dont feel like woodcutting for an hour or two?

For me it always says the difference between no job and on break. No job is yellow and on break is blue.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 12:17:11 am »

Do they have hunting labor? I think they have conflicting uniforms.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 02:53:41 am »

#1 Make sure they're not in the military. It causes a uniform conflict (most of the time). Damn it I wish woodcutters at least wore cloaks. It's sunny and rainy and sometimes freezing out there.

#2 Make sure they don't have mining or hunting labors enabled. Again, a uniform conflict. No crossbow wielding, pick swinging, axe cuddling woodcutters unfortunately. They don't wear cloaks either.....

#3 Pause, turn off ALL labors for your woodcutters (including woodcutting). Unpause. Wait 10-30 seconds (preferably until they mooch their way to the dining room). Then turn woodcutting back on. Dwarves are dumb enough that sometimes they need to be told not to do anything before being told to do something.

#4 Make sure you really have designated the trees for cutting. Sometimes it's easy to designate things improperly. Plants, woods, mining, pants. Damn dwarves and their booze. Oh, and me too.

#5 Make sure you don't have burrows enabled. At all. Ever. They cause more problems than they solve. Dwarves don't need burrows, they have a fort. Especially woodcutters. They have the ground to sleep on. Outside the fort. Without a cloak.

Other than that, I'm stumped.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 03:03:38 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 02:56:14 pm »

mining and wood cutting cant be active at the same time, never tried hunting, but i imagine the same... if not, they would prefer to be hunting i guess, more fun, but cant decide between duty and fun.

are they part of a marksdwarf squad? that could also screw things around, specially if they keep uniform when inactive

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 04:15:23 pm »

#5 Make sure you don't have burrows enabled. At all. Ever. They cause more problems than they solve.
I strongly disagree - it doesn't take that long to figure them out, and properly configured burrows can vastly simplify fortress management.