Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: question on trading  (Read 1020 times)

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
question on trading
« on: November 08, 2011, 03:57:02 pm »

When you trade with a caravan, is it just straight goods for goods? Or is there a money system so I can sell a bunch of stuff to a useless caravan and then buy a bunch of stuff from a better one?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 04:02:16 pm by flamewolf393 »

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: question on trading
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 04:24:22 pm »

There is a "value" system. Money used to be mintable once the economy came into play.

It was always pretty broken though and I have no idea if it works AT ALL in the current version. Even so it was used inside the fortress and not outside. You could ... sell the money sure but only as a trade good. I have never seen a caravan bring money. Not as currency and not as goods.

But listen. Caravans tell you one season ahead of time what they want. If the dwarves have requested things like arrows.. then you can buy arrows from a, say, human or elf merchant who didn't have anything else of interest and sell those arrows to the dwarves for more than you bought it.

Because when a good is requested then the traders will pay more than the actual value of the object. Same when you order things I believe.. you have to pay more.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 04:34:28 pm »

Caravans tell you one season ahead of time what they want.

They do? I've only dealt with one caravan (first year dwarven one) and they didnt send any word ahead. They showed up one day.

Oh well. maybe I'll just use the exploit to get what I want, lol.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 04:46:41 pm »

flamewolf, items do have an inherent value.

When trading items will list their weight.  Weight uses the symbol "Γ".  (Referred to as urists in popular speech.)

If your broker has any skill in appraisal it will also show values.  Value uses the symbol "☼".  (Referred to as dwarfbucks in popular speech.)

If your broker is unskilled in appraisal you will not see values for the first caravan.  I believe after conducting a single successful trade he gains enough skill in appraisal to accurately appraise everything.

Currently, elven and human caravans never vary prices except according to the value formula for items.  This means that no matter how many rock mugs you sell the caravan will be as happy to buy your first as it is to buy your last.  The first dwarven caravan is similar, in that all items are priced at 100%.  Future dwarven caravans, however, after your meeting with the liaison, will vary the value for some items according to the mountainhome's random whims and your requests.  Values, however, will never go below 100%, so at least they'll still love your rock mugs.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 05:11:20 pm »

No, they tell you one year in advance. Also, it only works with Dwarves right now, because only Dwarves form trade agreements - if you mod in the Human Guild Representative (using the instructions here), then Humans will also be able to form trade agreements again.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 05:40:52 pm »

They do? I've only dealt with one caravan (first year dwarven one) and they didnt send any word ahead. They showed up one day.

Oh well. maybe I'll just use the exploit to get what I want, lol.
The outpost liason should have asked you what you'd like them to bring next year.  They'll try to bring it, though they charge extra because you requested it.  It'll always be straight goods for goods trade, if you mint coins, they just count as another trade item.  Still, all that means in a practical sense is that you set up a bone carver or stonecrafter to make bone or stone crafts, which you will have no use for other than to sell, at which point they may as well be money.  If one caravan brings stuff you don't want, just save your goods for the next caravan.

In year two, if there are elves or humans able to reach your fort, they should send caravans as well.  Elves come in late Spring, Humans in late Summer and Dwarves in late Autumn. 
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.