Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Equipping dorfs.  (Read 1462 times)

vonFaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Equipping dorfs.
« on: November 07, 2011, 12:01:41 pm »

Is there a way I can get them to have equipment without them having to be in the military? Or will I have to add them to the military, give them equipment, and then remove them?
That incident was really what clued me in to the depth this game can offer, though that one time I made a fort of 150 dwarves suspended over a gorge and cut it all loose was pretty fun too.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: Equipping dorfs.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 12:04:43 pm »

add them to the military, give them equipment, and never activate squad
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

vonFaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 12:11:06 pm »

There's no way other than that?
That incident was really what clued me in to the depth this game can offer, though that one time I made a fort of 150 dwarves suspended over a gorge and cut it all loose was pretty fun too.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 12:18:37 pm »

Nope. That's the only way at the given moment.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 12:52:25 pm »

There's no way other than that?
bug #2481 - Dwarves will claim new clothes when theirs is worn (xClothesx) but not wear it
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

uristmcdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 03:03:24 pm »

Dosnt work for me:(

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 03:05:35 pm »

Make sure you make them set to wear uniforms when not on duty.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

uristmcdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 03:13:51 pm »

Well this option is set by default isnt it?
Another problem is my actual military wear armor only when i give them "move" or "kill" command. When i cancel any of those order they are immideatly going to the stockpile to store the armor. This is pisses me off so hard! Tryed every option i have there, still cant make them to keep that goddamn armor

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 08:45:13 pm »

You need to activate them at least once, or they'll never equip their gear. The military equipment page just shows what is assigned, not what they actually posess. Once they've actually got the gear, you can then set them inactive.

Well this option is set by default isnt it?
Another problem is my actual military wear armor only when i give them "move" or "kill" command. When i cancel any of those order they are immideatly going to the stockpile to store the armor. This is pisses me off so hard! Tryed every option i have there, still cant make them to keep that goddamn armor

If you've got "u: Inactive = Uniformed" set in your schedule screen, they should wear their uniforms when off duty. It works fine for me.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

uristmcdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 12:59:07 am »

If you've got "u: Inactive = Uniformed" set in your schedule screen, they should wear their uniforms when off duty. It works fine for me.

It is set as you say, but they wear it only when on duty anyways. As soon as i deactivate them, they drop all the armor immideatly.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 12:14:53 pm »

How are you deactivating them? Are you setting their alert to inactive? If so, check the schedule for inactive (in the schedule screen, use * and / to change the schedule you're setting - it's shown t the top of the screen). If Inactive is set to "Civ clothes" that would do it.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

uristmcdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 12:39:01 pm »

How are you deactivating them? Are you setting their alert to inactive? If so, check the schedule for inactive (in the schedule screen, use * and / to change the schedule you're setting - it's shown t the top of the screen). If Inactive is set to "Civ clothes" that would do it.
Well, i almost did it. Still though, my dwarfs put some of their armor to the stockpiles when i deactivate them. Like now my dwarf put his leggings off, this is kinda werid, becasue he still wear other armor pieces. Changed uniform setting, he still dont want to wear armor

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 05:20:25 pm »

It is set as you say, but they wear it only when on duty anyways. As soon as i deactivate them, they drop all the armor immideatly.

Are the dwarves in question miners, woodcutters, or hunters?

You can't tell them what to wear at all. While you'd expect the mining/woodcutting/hunting uniform to only include a weapon, it completely replaces the military uniform when in civilian mode, causing the dwarf to strip off all their military gear.

If the dwarf is set to carry food in a backpack, they'll also drop the food, which occasionally leads to a few military dwarves claiming all of the food in the fortress, leaving it on the floor to rot, and nobody being able to dump it because it's "owned" by a military dwarf.

Best solution at present is to let your miners, woodcutters, and hunters run around naked, or to only let dwarves work in those professions until their original set of clothing wears out, then switch them to the military or other professions and draft new miners/woodcutters from a recent migration wave, that still have clothes to wear.

uristmcdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 01:54:52 am »

Are the dwarves in question miners, woodcutters, or hunters?

You can't tell them what to wear at all. While you'd expect the mining/woodcutting/hunting uniform to only include a weapon, it completely replaces the military uniform when in civilian mode, causing the dwarf to strip off all their military gear.

Apparently you can. I managed to assign armor to my woodcutter, he still drop some of his gear when i set him inactive (specifically greaves)