Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Has Toady stated why cage traps are so powerful?  (Read 3128 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Has Toady stated why cage traps are so powerful?
« on: November 07, 2011, 01:10:01 am »

Why can they hold megabeasts, why don't goblins and other intelligent enemies bust their friends out of wooden cage traps?

Are they working as intended? Or has toady just not gotten around to adjusting them yet.

Are they left the way they are to give the player a much needed edge against enemies?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Has Toady stated why cage traps are so powerful?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 01:26:41 am »

Traps are a placeholder system.

There no real size yet or ever, so a cage is always the size it needs to be to capture whatever it captured.

The materiel of the trap doesnt matter yet, but that'll probably change when invasions get reworked, with megabeast being able to break out.

Right now invaders, dont know that their friends are trapped in cages. That'll hopefully change during the invasion rework.

And stated in the dwarf talks, Invaders are going to be getting major AI overhaul, with the ability to scout, remember trap placement, make descions about that stuff, and be able to besiege you better.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 08:45:50 pm »

I've been playing a fort recently after a long hiatus and my entryway is protected by a long switch-back corridor lined with cage traps. In previous versions this would stop all ambushing goblins but I've noticed that now the squad leaders are immune to cage traps. I had to add a draw bridge that I raise to keep the leaders out until enough grunts are caged for the leader morale to break and cause them to run off the map. So that's changed, at least.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 08:50:07 pm »

I've been playing a fort recently after a long hiatus and my entryway is protected by a long switch-back corridor lined with cage traps. In previous versions this would stop all ambushing goblins but I've noticed that now the squad leaders are immune to cage traps. I had to add a draw bridge that I raise to keep the leaders out until enough grunts are caged for the leader morale to break and cause them to run off the map. So that's changed, at least.

I've seen squad leaders dodging weapon traps fairly effectively, but not dodging cage traps.  In fact, if they clear the grinders in the tunnel they tend to end up in a cage trap.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 10:01:50 pm »

What you may be seeing is the result of the mount being captured but the rider surviving.
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 10:10:15 pm »

Essentially, cages are currently calculated with this equation:

cage size = X

where X = the size of the creature on top of it.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 10:13:07 pm »

No, cages are being calculated with cage size = ∞.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Linenoise02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 11:29:50 pm »

What you're seeing is another example of Dwarven Quantum Mechanics.  Urist McSchrodinger once explained it as "the size of the cage is not know until a creature is captured in it"

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 11:44:48 pm »

If megabeasts could break out of cages, that would be a lot of Fun.  Particularly if they waited until some Urist or other took them in to the animal stockpile first.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 11:46:38 pm »

That explains why no one can break out of them.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 08:32:10 am »

What you may be seeing is the result of the mount being captured but the rider surviving.

Well...I don't think so. I haven't seen any mounts being used yet (or caught in the cages afterwards when I clean up). The leaders simply walk over the traps while the other guys get caught without a problem. Video or it never happened, right? Ok.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2392-ambushingsquadleadersignorecagetraps

That's from an earlier save (I can't be bothered waiting for a new round of ambushers right now) when my trap corridor was a bit shorter but still more than enough to take care of the three or so squads I was getting at the time, if it wasn't for the fact that one out of every squad was immune. It's still happening with every squad, year after year...It's weird that you guys aren't noticing the same sort of thing.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 12:08:12 pm »

Your traps are jammed.(items do this.)
Ninja goblin
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 02:11:26 pm »

Interesting. I've never seen that behavior. In fact, I'm careful to arrange my cage traps to avoid catching the leaders so that the rest of the squad doesn't stall at that trap. But I still catch them whe they manage to stumble into my cage traps. But I can see that it is happening to you.

Have you modded your raws in any way?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 03:44:54 pm »

This actually summons a horrifying image of an elf in a cage with an open door that no matter where he moves, is 2' away from him until the dwarves set him free.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 03:48:38 pm »

This actually summons a horrifying image of an elf in a cage with an open door that no matter where he moves, is 2' away from him until the dwarves set him free.
I cannot explain how badly that would drive me to insanity.
Pages: [1] 2