Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Successfully defended a siege!  (Read 942 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Successfully defended a siege!
« on: November 06, 2011, 10:22:59 pm »

Last game the first siege pwned me, this time around i got things a little better and drove them off. I never would have thought an ASCII game could be so damn fun.

Thanks to everyone who's been helping me along this past week, cheers

Muttonhawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord-High everything else
    • View Profile
Re: Successfully defended a siege!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 10:29:58 pm »

Heed thy warning...

Retain thine sanity...
How sad, imagine what they would've come up with... Booze proppelled rocket bayonets
Quote from: Dylan Moran
You know what you are? You're a beard with an idiot hanging off it.

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 10:33:30 pm »

Great. Now add Fortress Defense mod.

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 09:14:28 am »

Congrats. Now get ready for the next twenty inevitable sieges. Hope you set up a danger room~.
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 09:23:59 am »

Pff, danger rooms.  (Nah, I'm kidding.  I have nothing against danger rooms, I've just never actually set one up.)

Gratz on beating the siege.  I always end up with just one or two goblins running around, chasing domesticated animals.  (Would I be correct in saying that leaving them to their business would prevent another siege from coming?  I know that even one goblin can keep the SIEGE label and prevent caravans and migrants.)
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 09:46:32 am »

Pff, danger rooms.  (Nah, I'm kidding.  I have nothing against danger rooms, I've just never actually set one up.)

Gratz on beating the siege.  I always end up with just one or two goblins running around, chasing domesticated animals.  (Would I be correct in saying that leaving them to their business would prevent another siege from coming?  I know that even one goblin can keep the SIEGE label and prevent caravans and migrants.)

You wall up long enough, they leave voluntarily.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

dieffenbachj

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Smiles
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 09:59:49 am »

I love it when the goblins come en masse to trade goblinite in return for my stray cat population! Good job negotiating their tough trading tactics.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 10:09:32 am »

You wall up long enough, they leave voluntarily.
If you wall them up, they never get to leave and you can permanantly be under siege. Think of the benefits!

vonFaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 10:57:37 am »

I've been playing for a while now and haven't gotten to the siege-able point... I tend to get aggravated at the mess my forts become and make a new embark.  ::)
That incident was really what clued me in to the depth this game can offer, though that one time I made a fort of 150 dwarves suspended over a gorge and cut it all loose was pretty fun too.

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 11:35:35 am »

I've been playing for a while now and haven't gotten to the siege-able point... I tend to get aggravated at the mess my forts become and make a new embark.  ::)

Use the zone menu to designate a dump outside the fort then d->b (Mark for dumping) what you want to clean up. You can also recover items you've dumped so don't worry about dumping valuable stones like Bit.coal and hematite.
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 12:26:55 pm »

Yes on migrants and caravans, but there can be multiple seiges at once. I once walled up, but the gobbos wouldn't leave.I had over 5 years of never ending seige after seige, coming before the first had left.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 12:36:32 pm »

Heed thy warning...

Retain thine sanity...

Judging by the OP's progress, he's well on the way to wondering if he ever had sanity to begin with.

It's one of the minor disadvantages of playing DF. Some might even consider it a bonus.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy