Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Community or Succession? (Just pick one; don't know how to change that...)

Community! Write on, writer guy!
- 3 (50%)
Succession! I want in!
- 3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Gameworld: Getting a Bit Meta? [KUH-RAZY Community Fort]  (Read 2028 times)

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:COUCH]
    • View Profile
Gameworld: Getting a Bit Meta? [KUH-RAZY Community Fort]
« on: November 06, 2011, 12:52:42 am »

Case-File 32-0006, Code-name: Gamma World.

The following recording was found in the residences of the disappeared Fun Future Futures Co. employees. Having reviewed this evidence, it would appear that the ship veered from its plotted course intentionally, in accordance with the recommendations of said recording, rather than being hijacked, sabotaged or suffering from any other brand of unfortunate accident. The case is officially closed.

------------------------

Recording 32-0006A, Code-name: The Cavidson Record

"You know when you have a dream and you're half-awake, but still in the fringe of your brain, and when you open your eyes you're so damn glad it was a dream?
...This was nothing like that."
--Wesley Gibson

"Just because I'm crazy, that doesn't mean that I'm wrong. I'm mad, but I'm not ill!"
--Robert Anton Wilson

"Jinkies!"
--Vemla Dinkley

There, now that I've got you primed and ready, let me regale you with a research proposal regarding the profitability of focused madness in a work environment positively glowing with polysynthetic radiation.

Namely, I propose an expedition be mounted to The Planes of Omen, known colloquially in the planewalker community as Gamma World. The purpose of this expedition will be to determine the psychological and social impact of random mutations on a tightly-associated group of peers in a harshly radioactive working environment, and whether such an environment can be feasibly used as the grounds for constructing a profitable vacation spot for interplanar tourists.

Now, if there are no objections--good, no objections! Then I think we're ready to move on to the recruitment and redistribution phase of the operation. Get a move on, people, and remember, we're not banging rocks together out there; we know what we're doing, and if you don't, then fake it!

Now, let's go do some science!

----------------------------

All right, folks, here's the OOC section. The purpose of this Community Fort--which I might consider turning into a succession fortress, depending on how many people might be interested in that sort of thing--will be, as you may have gleaned, to construct the world's best amusement park, in the world's worst possible place to build an amusement park.

Now, for those of you familiar with Gamma World, you may find it as disappointing as I do that there aren't any mods that add random mutations to critters. As such, we we're just going to have to squint our eyes and pretend that that wizard over there is actually a pyrokinetic yeti with a classy moustache.

Still, even if there are no actual tentacles and rollerskates involved, there should still be genre-appropriate levels of madness considering some of the mods I'm using:
S.L.A.D.E.
Fortress Defense
Legend of Forlorn Realms
Wizard Tower
Fortbent
My Little Fortress

I chose these mods based on whether they met one of two conditions:
1) Had a cool and/or dangerous-sounding name.
2) Involved ponies and/or trolls.

There were a couple of conflicts, such as FD and MLF both wanting to overwrite the Entity_Default file. I resolve such conflicts with a coin toss. Which is to say that there will probably be unforeseen and hilarious interactions between the mods. Especially seeing as how I don't actually know what most of them are actually intended to do to the game on their own. But hey, it's Gamma World; expect the unexpected. ^_^

That said, if you would like to be a member of this fine, upstanding community--a process known colloquially and awkwardly as Gamma'ing--please give me a name, preferred profession/class (custom name preferred, but not required), and what sort of creature you are, at a minimum. If you need inspiration, I recommend this lovely Gamma World Character Generator, although I'm pretty much okay with whatever you want to throw at me.

That said, the current party members are as follows:
Grower / Building Designer: Claimed. Narrative character. Soli, sapient cactus. FUN Engineer.
Miner Number One: Unclaimed.
Miner Number Two: Unclaimed.
Axeman / Shield User: Unclaimed. Currently seems to be a robot.
Blacksmith / Armorsmith: Claimed. Drago, Dwarf Wizard. Artificer.
Doctor (Couple of ranks in everything): Unclaimed.
Mason: Unclaimed.

And just for shiggles, here is our starting livestock...
Special Operations Pigeon (Male): Unclaimed
Special Operations Pigeon (Female): Unclaimed
Red Apple Tree (Male): Unclaimed
Red Apple Tree (Female): Unclaimed
Musclebeast: Unclaimed
Tank Cow: Unclaimed

Also note that if you would like to claim a character that already has a description or something--the security chief robot and maybe the pilot being the only current examples--feel free. And in fact, feel free to change that description to something you like; random mutations are totally in-genre here, people.

That said, here are the links to the current chapters in this marvelous epic of mutant ingenuity:
Chapter One: Surfing the Zeitgeist on Cheap Public Wi-Fi

Stay classy, people!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 03:36:03 am by Time Blossom »
Time Blossom cancels everything: NaNoWriMo

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: Gamma World: What's All This, Then? [Community/Succession(?) Fort]
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 03:20:54 am »

Take trolls! We'll be trolling everyone.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 03:29:52 am »

If trolls I want in.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 03:43:02 pm »

Are these goblin's next door neighbor trolls or the warcraft trolls that soundlike my uncle?
Im voting everything not pony.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 12:01:01 am »

Are these goblin's next door neighbor trolls or the warcraft trolls that soundlike my uncle?
Well... Actually, it's neither.

In other news, Wizards are currently in the lead, followed closely by Sorcerers. Surprising! Gotta love the dark horse candidates.

Anyway, I'll let it run another day or two and see how things turn out.

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 04:21:12 am »

i want in! i just need to get those mods,and delete corrosion.

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 06:33:42 pm »

No need! I'll post the save later this evening, and it'll included all the modified raws. Of course, if you want to try your own recipe and take better care to make sure the mods actually play well together... well, I won't judge. :P

Also, the people have spoken.
Sorry for the Troll fans, but the silent majority wins on this one. The jerks. ;)

Double-also, apologies for the delay in getting this puppy started. Had a lot of personal stuff come up this week. I'll get the initial embark done later this evening, say in the next six hours or so, and edit the OP accordingly.

In the meantime, anybody who wants to be Gamma'd, please post your desired name, profession, and what I will laughably call race. Which, it's worth noting, could include Trolls. Wizard Trolls. Just try not to post the exact same thing as someone else; this is Gamma World, after all. We Encourage Diversity™.

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 07:50:49 pm »

Name:drago
Profession:metal smithing
Race: wizard dwarf

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 03:14:03 am »

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Prologue: Left Turns at Albuquerque

"They're made of meat."

Expedition leader Soli looked up from the pile of redacted safety memorandums piled on her desk and raised a prickly eyebrow. Cacti don't have the best of hearing, even at the best of times--and in space, no one can hear you... unless you speak up.
"...What?"

"The asteroids in the belt we're passing through. They're made of meat." The pilot, Soli could never remember his name, double-checked his scanners. "SPAM, to be specific."

"Oh, don't be ridiculous, what's-your-name," Soli answered, going back to her work. "SPAM isn't meat."

"Noted. All the same, a course change may be prudent. The asteroids seem to be launching attack drones."

"That's nice," Soli answered, readjusting her glasses as the ship shook under the force of several kinetic impacts. "Just keep us on bearing 32, we should be back home in no time."

There was a long, uncomfortable silence--or as silent as one can be in the midst of a SPAMbot siege, anyway--before the pilot answered.

"Bearing... 32?"

"Hmm? Yes, 32."

"Not... for example... 6?"

"Hmm? Oh, no, certainly not. Wouldn't want to go anywhere near that sector. Dimensional rifts, temporal anomalies, high gasoline prices; it's just a bad neighborhood."

"I... see. So, not the place you'd want to raise your kids, then?"

"Certainly not."

"Well... that's a shame, then, because we're going to crash in it."

"That's nice," Soli answered as she dropped another safety memo into the shredder. "...Wait, what?"

Chapter One: Surfing the Zeitgeist on Cheap Public Wi-Fi

Soli and the rest of her crew and passengers--or what was left of them, anyway--emerged from the splintered wreckage of their ship. Literally splintered, it's worth noting; the entire ship had been made out of plywood. Poor taste, really, considering they had treefolk on board, but that was HQ for you, always looking to save when they could. It was an admirable quality in a megacorp, when all was said and done.

It was, in fact, why they could afford to have an Artificer on board. Drago, the short, bearded fellow with the magic wands and hammers, had signed on to be the ship's metalworker--and since they didn't really have any metal on board, they'd been able to hire him for cheap on the assumption that he wouldn't actually need to do anything.

Soli took a peer around the crash site.

"Hmm... wide open fields, waterfront property, great scenery... we can make this work..."

"Well," Drago was saying to the others as he stroked his beard and looked over the wreckage. "Without getting too technical, we're screwed. Even if I could somehow manage to weld the hull back together, we'd still need fuel, and an M-Class Stardrive like this one isn't going to run with a busted fanbelt regardless."

The security chief, a metallic maniac wielding an axe, rolled over to the dwarf wizard. "Observation: you just made all that up."

"I'll make you up, you tin-hearted--"

"Yes!" The two stopped their feud and looked over at an excited Soli, who was raising a green, thorn-covered fist to the skies excitedly. "This is where we will build it!"

"Interrogative: Build what, exactly?"

"The best amusement park the multiverse has ever seen, that's what! Why, just look at the signs of intelligent life; we'll have no shortage of tourists!"

One of the other crew members piped in. "If by 'signs of intelligent life,' you mean those signs nailed to the tree over there that say 'aliens go home,' and if by 'tourists' you mean 'torches and pitchforks,' then yeah, probably."

"See, now that's the kind of positive attitude we'll need to make this work! I know we've all come to this ship for different reasons--"

"No, actually it was a shuttle, we were pretty much going from point A to point B."

"--But we all came to the same place: this place. And we shall call it... Gameworld! Strike the earth!"

Drago looked back at the crater where the ship had crash-landed, then back at Soli.

"Yeah... no kidding. We are so screwed..."

"Affirmation: brother, you aint kidding."
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 04:44:01 am by Time Blossom »

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: Gameworld: Getting a Bit Meta? [KUH-RAZY Community Fort]
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 03:51:39 am »

What wizard's mod looks like madness. I'm in, dorf me as whatever guy.

bla-bla-bla
Dude, you've found the best place to confess to the girl, greetings.
Well, unless she's not one of dorfs posted here...
EDIT: Oh, no fun here, it's a spambot  >:(
Anyway, apply MAGMAA!!!!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 03:56:17 am by peregarrett »
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 03:57:35 am »

dorf me in as SHADE.
who is a really nice guy but deep down is a cultist of forgotten demonry.
>.>
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 04:11:17 am »

Can you use DF hack or something to make me younger?
And a lot of the tHings besides the bottom white part that are wrong, I have high willpower a great sense for music ands an uber creativity. The rest is near me.

Rip goat, more loli

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 08:02:22 am »

wizdorf me in as Omnom Bondoketler.

...if it isn't too much trouble...
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.