Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unusually shallow Fun  (Read 991 times)

Slothsberry

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Unusually shallow Fun
« on: November 04, 2011, 07:11:39 pm »

I just hit the magma seas and Hell at what seems like a pretty shallow depth. Magma seas at ~80, less than 60 below my embark point. that put hell at 77, only 69 below embark.

This is way more shallow than I've run into it before. Is this weird? needless to say, I broke into an adamantine pillar a little earlier than I should have, and got wiped. version 0.31.25

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Unusually shallow Fun
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 07:20:41 pm »

Sounds about like my current fort, so it's not unheard of at least.  My first time digging this far down so I have no idea what's normal.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 07:21:29 pm »

Was this flat or mountainous terrain?  I'm at a disadvantage in assessing your depths, given I habitually adjust my worldgens to give bigger contiguous volumes of solid rock in-between cavern levels (thus pushing magma seas (though not necessarily pipes) further down than they would normally be, and I've tending to embarking on flat-lands as well, since I started this process, but counting back the levels I've 'gained' yours sound not so far off what I'd expect.

If you're used to mountainous terrain and you're now in plains, you may have been used to some deep foothills that now you don't have, or conversely going from plain to mountain you've hit a local 'high' that follows the mountain-top.  I don't think this is the explanation, but just mentioning it.

Slothsberry

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 07:27:12 pm »

I use a pretty (if not completely) default worldgen. I forget what I did for this region. Since the wipe happened pretty quickly after I released the demons (I wasn't even at my 4th migrant wave), I just then the baddies do their thing, and I don't feel like embarking again on that world at the moment.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 10:00:21 pm »

60 Z-levels below the surface isn't that shallow - in my first 0.31.xx fortress, the magma sea was only about 40 Z-levels down.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 10:50:03 pm »

highest HFS i've ever seen was about 40.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

gamewizardinnc

• Bay Watcher
  • Plush rumps as for as the eye can see
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 12:24:41 am »

The highest I've ever found a magma sea was at the -26 z level.
I probably won't be the 13th player with the Curse of Failcannon likely hanging in the air like a particularly pungent dog fart

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 03:09:12 am »

highest HFS i've ever seen was about 40.
My current fort appears to have an upright candy sword at around level -44 up in a corner. So at least if I get bored, I can destroy the fort in a blaze of glory instead of abandoning. Does seem a bit high up though...
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 10:12:00 am »

The highest I've ever found a magma sea was at the -26 z level.

Aye, that's about the same as mine... of course, that happened with only 2 cavern layers.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

gamewizardinnc

• Bay Watcher
  • Plush rumps as for as the eye can see
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 07:26:50 pm »

Mine still had all three layers. Yeah not a lot of fortress space. My entire fortress is only about 3 z-levels. My other one though is over 10.
I probably won't be the 13th player with the Curse of Failcannon likely hanging in the air like a particularly pungent dog fart

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 09:19:53 pm »

With minimum levels between layers, you should be able to have the depths be as little as 10 rock strata below the surface on a very flat map, even with 3 cavern layers. Each stratum is generally 2-5 z-levels thick, so a very shallow Fun could be 20 z-levels down. It'd be unusual, certainly, but not impossible. I'm uncertain as to whether the caverns are included in the "z-levels above level x" parameters' depth or not; if not, that would push it closer to 25 or 30 minimum.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!