Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Thing (from the movie) In DF  (Read 2243 times)

aadeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Thing (from the movie) In DF
« on: November 04, 2011, 12:53:32 am »

Last weekend I watched John Carpenter's The Thing. It's pretty good.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_(1982_film)

It's about a shapeshifting alien that can take over anyone it infects, disguise itself as anyone it's assimilated, and turn into all manner of horrifying things that kill you.
Then I read about how vampires in DF will be infiltrating your fort, disguised as a dwarf, killing people off while you try to figure out who it is.

Adding something like the Thing to DF would take vampires to a whole new level, and I think this next update has the tools to do that.

It should be able to:

-Disguise itself as anyone it's killed (People or animals) or as whatever it looked like before being infected
-Shapeshift into a more dangerous form if it's discovered, like growing extra claws, getting bigger. If it's not trying to disguise itself it will grow whatever body parts are convenient
-Animate it's severed body parts and the body parts of those it kills, which become other Things. (So people's heads can grow legs and crawl away)
-Infect people (though biting, body fluids etc) causing them to turn into Things even if they survive.

I think at least some of these could be accomplished, with all the new things in the next patch. (vampire and werecreature transformations, the new undead, necromancy and other interactions.) I'm guessing it would be a pain to mod in though, if it's even possible.

It would be pretty overpowered but extremely Fun.
"talk is cheap, but letters you have to hit them on the buttons" -Capntastic

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: The Thing (from the movie) In DF
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 01:23:09 am »

Yeah. You said pretty much what I've said there:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=95376.msg2714383#msg2714383

Depending on the moddability, I will try to make something like that ASAP once the new version appears.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 04:02:37 pm »

What if it's... already in?

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 05:55:28 pm »

What if it's... already in?

I doubt a Thing would remain undiscovered in your average dwarven fortress, what with the halls lined with blood occasionally flooding with magma and whatnot.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 06:07:53 pm »

The Chief Medical Ddwarf strikes at the pool of dwarf blood with the hot metal nail! 
The pool of dwarf blood dodges!
The Chief Medical Dwarf has been struck down!
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 07:03:54 pm »

This.... would actually be interesting, if you make it just right I suppose you could use DF to model infectious diseases, through thousands of years. Maybe make a world filled with zombies or Things.

This has made me even more excited for the next version.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 09:49:37 pm »

I can already picture players discovering a Thing and trying to weaponize it.
Umbrella Fortress!
Soaplent green is goblins!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 10:32:02 pm »

As long as fuse boxes aren't added as well.

Neat idea. It could be like a dorment forgotten beast. Hidden underground, say in ice, where once its found it takes over the nearest dwarf and begins infiltrating your fortress.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 11:32:15 pm »

As long as fuse boxes aren't added as well.

Neat idea. It could be like a dorment forgotten beast. Hidden underground, say in ice, where once its found it takes over the nearest dwarf and begins infiltrating your fortress.

Aren't you a Spoony bard?
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 12:11:00 am »

The Thing already exist in DF. It is called Strange Moods and unless it gets satisfied it makes your Legendary+5 Sworddwarf with artifact longsword go berserk.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 12:28:58 am »

The Thing already exist in DF. It is called Strange Moods and unless it gets satisfied it makes your Legendary+5 Sworddwarf with artifact longsword go berserk.
Normally the Thing's intent does not involve arts and crafts.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 01:33:09 am »

You have no idea what it would have wanted to do once it got out of Antarctica.

lonewolf9567

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 12:04:08 am »

Wow... This would complete me

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 02:45:13 pm »

That's an idea. It could in an ice coffin buried in a metal room somewhere under the ice. The dwarves take the coffin to a stockpile where it thaws in summer and assumes the identity of the nearest dwarf and begins slaughtering your population until you have one dwarf left that constantly switches from one creature to another and moves back to its ship with a bucket of water, throwing it at the hole you made and disappearing until the reclamation team comes to find it.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy