Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Happy Fun Stuff, the next update.  (Read 14154 times)

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
Happy Fun Stuff, the next update.
« on: November 02, 2011, 03:02:31 pm »

I found this. That is an Umber Hulk from the DnDiverse. It can burrow it is angry, it is ravenous. They also make great tame body guards. So the next update: Burrowing enemies that leave fortification like structures behind them other burrowers can use to path but not non-burrowers? better yet just dig, dwarf with pick style and often randomly open up your caverns to invaders from caverns. WHO ELSE LOVES THIS IDEA?

Not really a suggestion mind, i'm just bored and like it.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Fun Stuff, the next update.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 03:30:36 pm »

Having my dwarves massacred because a burrower tunneled through the side my dining hall or some of my magma channels flooding the caverns seems like a little too much Fun to me...

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 03:38:34 pm »

I got only 2 questions:
1. What defense can protect us from such foe?
2. How can we weaponize them?

I think a layer of magma between your dinning hall and the outside solves 1, I guess.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 03:44:55 pm »

If diggers are introduced, I would personally hope they either could only dig soil (leaving proper mining to the dwarves) or that there was some way to reinforce exposed walls (smoothing? some other stone detailing job?) to make them undiggable without first removing that detail
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 03:46:39 pm »

NOOO! Not my aesthetics! :(

Those things will ruin my obsessive placement of halls and rooms with their relentless digging!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 03:48:13 pm »

I was rather hoping this thread would be about vampiric/were- Clowns

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 05:43:19 pm »

I've made the suggestion before about burrowing enemies. The way I envision it was since dwarves are so adept at mining, as soon as a burrowing enemy came on map, they would be able to recognize the sound of non-dorf digging and you would get a zoom-to-location announcement on the spot the enemies were digging towards to warn you. They would dig slowly, so you would have time to prepare a defense.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 07:41:08 pm »

I agree with AWellTrainedFerret. Dwarves are very attuned to the earth and would notice someone else digging in their area. Since digging can wake up dwarves, I'd suspect that all awake dwarves would notice it. Then you should have time to have your miners countermine to meet them so your troops can deal with them.

I'd like to see siegers also be able to do some digging. Maybe sapper orcs that arrive with shovels and can only dig through dirt, and later sieges might have miner orcs with picks that can even dig (slowly) through stone. No more being perfectly safe behind a raised drawbridge.

The first siege wouldn't have any diggers, and if they get stopped by impenetrable walls, then later sieges might being them. So you could hide behind walls once or twice, but you'd better have something better set up eventually.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 07:46:00 pm »

I was surprised to learn sieges can never bring their own siege equipment. Apparently dwarves are the only race with knowledge of such devices

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 07:49:39 pm »

The way digging works in DF, allowing enemies to dig is more like a "frustrating cheap AI trick/get in your fort unscathed card" ,less FUN and more nuisance unless digging enemies are an init option, it would be a shame for players to have to eliminate all invasions just because of  what sounds like a broken feature.
Im fine with enemies building siege engines however.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 07:54:28 pm by UltraValican »
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 07:52:15 pm »

I agree with AWellTrainedFerret. Dwarves are very attuned to the earth and would notice someone else digging in their area. Since digging can wake up dwarves, I'd suspect that all awake dwarves would notice it. Then you should have time to have your miners countermine to meet them so your troops can deal with them.

I'd like to see siegers also be able to do some digging. Maybe sapper orcs that arrive with shovels and can only dig through dirt, and later sieges might have miner orcs with picks that can even dig (slowly) through stone. No more being perfectly safe behind a raised drawbridge.

The first siege wouldn't have any diggers, and if they get stopped by impenetrable walls, then later sieges might being them. So you could hide behind walls once or twice, but you'd better have something better set up eventually.

But...But my aesthetics...

Can't we have something else to increase difficulty? Like siege engines that can take down walls, or airships that can drop down enemies onto a specific place?

I don't put all that work into royal tombs just so some bastard orc can break his way in and fuck everything up. >:(

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 07:54:03 pm »

Can't we have something else to increase difficulty? Like siege engines that can take down walls, or airships that can drop down enemies onto a specific place?

I don't put all that work into royal tombs just so some bastard orc can break his way in and fuck everything up. >:(

Burrowing/tunneling enemies would be the perfect way to get the weird OCD neatness types to drop their habit and give in to the terrible, badly organised chaos that is a well designed fort.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 08:02:47 pm »

Burrowing/tunneling enemies would be the perfect way to get the weird OCD neatness types to drop their habit and give in to the terrible, badly organised chaos that is a well designed fort.

I don't have OCD, and I definitely don't have a badly designed fort(I'm building a fucking deathmaze, for Christ's sake), But if I want certain parts of my fortress to look nice, I'll be damned if I'm gonna let some jagged-toothed, vomit green asshole screw it up.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 08:05:04 pm »

I don't have OCD, and I definitely don't have a badly designed fort(I'm building a fucking deathmaze, for Christ's sake), But if I want certain parts of my fortress to look nice, I'll be damned if I'm gonna let some jagged-toothed, vomit green asshole screw it up.
Watch what you say 'bout orcs boy/girl.
But, I do think making an ingame griefer is one good way to ruin a game
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 08:14:56 pm »

All the more reason to chain it up and let spiders web it to death
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5