Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forever an Open Door? Also Invisible Creatures.  (Read 1382 times)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Forever an Open Door? Also Invisible Creatures.
« on: November 02, 2011, 08:03:57 am »

I was just scrolling through my fortress the other day, when I noticed that one of the two doors leading to my hospital appeared to be missing.  I then realized that it was actually still there, but it was stuck open.  Nothing appears to be blocking the door (I have checked for hidden stuff, too), so I ordered it deconstructed.  Then, when another dwarf was putting a replacement door in place, I noticed something odd: he was lying down to do it, as if there were another creature standing in the way.  After watching the area for a while, I noticed that there were entire stretches of tiles where my dwarves would not stand up, again as if another creature was standing there.

This picture shows the paths I'm talking about.  The tiles marked with the yellow 'L's are those tiles in which my dwarves cannot stand up.
Does anyone know what might be causing this?
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Forever an Open Door? Also Invisible Creatures.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 08:43:31 am »

Did you use any memory hacking tools to kill or teleport creatures, or to create or destroy liquids, or delete or move objects?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 09:04:41 am »

Nope.  I'm using a Mac, so I couldn't if I wanted to.  None of those utilities works on a Mac.
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 09:20:27 am »

Did you at any time flood the area with water and push objects around?  It's possible there's a forbidden object affected by the bug whereby items can be pushed by water and vanish yet still exist on the map.

Try going through your stocks screen, look for forbidden items and zoom to them, see if they're reported as being in that location.

What happens if you try to build a wall or other blocking construction in those spots?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 09:45:36 am »

As far as I know, that area has never been flooded, though the levels immediately below it were when a dwarf was washed into the hospital's cistern.  (To clarify, there is nothing directly below the areas which are acting oddly; there is a cistern two levels deep directly beneath the hospital, with some access paths (that's where the downward staircase at the end of that path leads) that were flooded briefly.)  I'll try building something else there as soon as I can.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 02:57:55 pm »

could it be gremlins? those creatures that ranomly pull levers?
Caravan in depot = Broker is on break/sleeping/eating/drink.
Caravan leaves =  Broker has no job.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 03:04:12 pm »

could it be gremlins? those creatures that ranomly pull levers?

No, they'd block the construction and get noticed.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 03:26:27 pm »

Trying to build a wall in the problem spaces led to a "creature occupying site" message.  I've heard before that sometimes kidnapped children will still appear in things like stonesense, which may be related, but I haven't had any children kidnapped.  This is pretty annoying.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 08:33:32 pm »

Okay, my question seems to have faded into obscurity rather quickly.  This is still a pretty annoying problem for my fortress.  Does anyone know how I might be able to fix it?
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs