Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Bay12 Shared Universe [D&D 3.5]  (Read 6563 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Shared Universe [D&D 3.5]
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2011, 04:07:55 pm »

A Living World, of sorts? You'll need to be well organized for that - the wiki you mentioned should be the least you do. You may want to have people that actually do transcribe the important information into the wiki or that, once the world gets bigger, help with making sure no contradictions occur.

And if you go with 3.5 (or really, any system with splash books), you want to have a consensus on the allowed material, and whether homebrewed material can be proposed (some wizards really like their spell research).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2011, 04:13:00 pm »

Tophus, God of the SUn, Chief of the Herd of Sun Elephants how many suns are you thinking we should have?
Portfolio: Sun, Elephants I'm god of the sun!... and also elephants.
Favored Weapon: Gore natural attack (often tusk) Paladins and Clerics would wear cool helms I'm sure.  Probably forbidden from wearing leather or bone, at least of elephants.
Symbol: A stylized yellow elephant upon an orange circle, with red sunbursts from the center of the circle
Domains:
Sun, Fire: Pretty self-explanatory
War, Glory(BoED): He drives off the night, and fights for the light.
Elephant: Still working on this one. Call it Animal, but elephantized. Domain ability is either rebuke elephants or absolutely crazy memory.

Spheres should be Sun, Animal (elephant specific), and Lore(or knowledge)

They're (or should be) in the Complete Divine if you want to check out the spells.  Lore makes more sense for elephants then war since their memory and stuff.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2011, 04:19:43 pm »

A Living World, of sorts? You'll need to be well organized for that - the wiki you mentioned should be the least you do. You may want to have people that actually do transcribe the important information into the wiki or that, once the world gets bigger, help with making sure no contradictions occur.

And if you go with 3.5 (or really, any system with splash books), you want to have a consensus on the allowed material, and whether homebrewed material can be proposed (some wizards really like their spell research).

Since were starting level 1 we don't have to worry much about non-base stuff like plane specific materials. Homebrew stuff can obviously be proposed, by players, DM's should be able to make whatever they want, it's not like a you can play your own character then dm a game with him in it.

Rule 1. Existing player characters may appear in your own campaign, but gain no exp and cannot be rewarded titles, loot, or anything like that, they are simply their for story reasons or as cameos, and shouldn't really shouldn't be treated like Deus ex machinma NPCs

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2011, 04:31:22 pm »

I really wish DnD books were cheaper. Waterstones had what I think was a 4th Ed. book in, but I wasn't really willing to flesh out £20 pound on a Player's Handbook on a game I'll probably only ever play on these boards.

That being said, if someone knows of any online resources, that would be brilliant. I could also run a session if we used a more structured RTD method.

NINJAS: I agree with the above statement.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2011, 04:36:29 pm »

I really wish DnD books were cheaper. Waterstones had what I think was a 4th Ed. book in, but I wasn't really willing to flesh out £20 pound on a Player's Handbook on a game I'll probably only ever play on these boards.

That being said, if someone knows of any online resources, that would be brilliant. I could also run a session if we used a more structured RTD method.

NINJAS: I agree with the above statement.

were not playing RTD, everyone stop suggesting that.  The point is so we can just play dnd instead of all these games that die because players or dm's get busy.  That's kinda what western marshes was suppose to be, but hey look it's now on haitus.  This isn't about world building, think of it like each dm is his own universe in a multiverse and players jump between these multiverses... but the multiverse is a single universe.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2011, 04:49:28 pm »

Ok, but for the record of it, Sean Mirrsen could probably turn an RTD into DnD.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2011, 04:57:10 pm »

As for books they're as far as I know, no longer in print. (but like pdfs all over the place.)

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2011, 05:08:38 pm »

As for books they're as far as I know, no longer in print. (but like pdfs all over the place.)
Then explain why there was one clearly in print in Waterstones =P

Also, brainfart-if we're inventing a new worrld, why not invent a system to go with it?

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2011, 05:18:43 pm »

Then explain why there was one clearly in print in Waterstones =P

Also, brainfart-if we're inventing a new world, why not invent a system to go with it?

What part of D&D do you not get.  All I want to do is play some D&D.  Why can't we just play D&D.  There's a reason why people still play 3.5 .

I've already made as system with dynamic armor and wound tracking, but if I brought it up people would complain about something (even though it's perfect, not just saying that cause I made it up, then it turns out runequest did something similiar but MINE is more complex.)

Granted apparently people are complaining about Dungeons and Dragons.

Rule 2. We're Playing D&DD20 in a world were pretty much everything is stolen from Dungeons and Dragons, shut up about anything else you're making me cry blood in agitation.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2011, 05:45:42 pm »

...So, King, I heard great things about DnD 2nd Ed :P

Anyway, I'll look for videos and such tomorrow.
Love, scriver~

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2011, 06:33:36 pm »

how many suns are you thinking we should have?
I'm god of the sun!... and also elephants.
Paladins and Clerics would wear cool helms I'm sure.  Probably forbidden from wearing leather or bone, at least of elephants.

They're (or should be) in the Complete Divine if you want to check out the spells.  Lore makes more sense for elephants then war since their memory and stuff.
1. Technically several, looks like one. It's a herd, and they stampede across the sky in a hugenormous group. Thus, it looks like just one sun
2. Well, it's an elephant. Of course its portfolio is going to include elephants.
3. Probably.
4. I think you mean domains. "Spheres" doesn't mean anything in D&D divinity; Portfolios are associated elements, and domains are the lists of nine spells and a granted power.
5. A giant herd of elephants charging across the sky does not seem very much in line with "Lore" to me. Tophus is almost always moving, meaning he doesn't have that much time to sit and learn stuff. In addition, elephants are awesome war animals, right next to bears, and any chance to use them as such will be taken.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2011, 06:40:56 pm »

Flaming War Elephants. Incendiary pigs have nothing on those.
Love, scriver~

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2011, 07:45:27 pm »

how many suns are you thinking we should have?
I'm god of the sun!... and also elephants.
Paladins and Clerics would wear cool helms I'm sure.  Probably forbidden from wearing leather or bone, at least of elephants.

1. Technically several, looks like one. It's a herd, and they stampede across the sky in a hugenormous group. Thus, it looks like just one sun okay then.
2. Well, it's an elephant. Of course its portfolio is going to include elephants.
3. Probably.
4. I think you mean domains. "Spheres" doesn't mean anything in D&D divinity; Portfolios are associated elements, and domains are the lists of nine spells and a granted power. You're that's what I ment.
5. A giant herd of elephants charging across the sky does not seem very much in line with "Lore" to me. Tophus is almost always moving, meaning he doesn't have that much time to sit and learn stuff. In addition, elephants are awesome war animals, right next to bears, and any chance to use them as such will be taken. But their too busy being in the sky to fight, plus I'm sure they see a lot up there above the "earth"

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2011, 09:14:48 pm »

Two suns in this binary star system. Planet has Saturnine rings and 7 moons. The largest two moons each have a dactyl (personal natural satellites). Once every 26 years, 3 months, and 8 daycycles (Light-twilight-twilight-dark-twilight-twilight and back to light), the moons all line up, and on that day, magic and psionics become super powerful.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 09:16:37 pm by Barbarossa TSG »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2011, 12:01:45 am »

Two suns in this binary star system. Planet has Saturnine rings and 7 moons. The largest two moons each have a dactyl (personal natural satellites). Once every 26 years, 3 months, and 8 daycycles (Light-twilight-twilight-dark-twilight-twilight and back to light), the moons all line up, and on that day, magic and psionics become super powerful.

Do rings form around terrestrial planets?  Seems it'd be bombarded by meteors to often for civilization to form.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6