Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Dumbest dwarven death?  (Read 21115 times)

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
Dumbest dwarven death?
« on: October 29, 2011, 10:20:12 pm »

Alliteration!

Anyway, what's the dumbest death one of your dwarves have suffered? Rather it was easily preventable or due to AI stupidity, feel free to post it.

Mine was when a mason got locked on the opposite end of a floodgate he constructed that didn't have water going through it yet. Due to a nice bit of AI stupidity combined with the fact that it was only my third or fourth fort that had made it past a few minutes, he died of thirst before the engineer hooked up a lever to the gate so he could get out. Like I said, easily preventable, as I didn't think to just dig out or deconstruct the gate.
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dumbest dwarven death?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 10:33:56 pm »

Dwarves will be dwarves - I'd say stupidity is almost as ubiquitous as dwarves and their booze in the realm of people who know DF and don't play, and more ubiquitous in the player realm.

I've never had a dwarf die to building on the wrong side - I've always watch when things are being built - nor due to wrong channeling or mining... (had close calls though, good medical systems have saved dwarves gotten whomped by cavein dust before.)

I have had times where I've ordered a lever to be pulled, and it assigns the only dwarf in my magma forges at the time, over 117 steps away - the farthest dwarf from the lever. Said lever was for the drawbridge for my entrance - all soldiers were in the caverns at the time, fighting off hordes of undead.

wow - I'm rather derailing - fact is that I've only had 3 dwarves ever die on me in any of my forts. 2 were from failed moods, and the last one was from a FB syndrome.

The 2 failed moods were dumb on my part, easily preventable, since my fortress at that point was able to supply any material that a mood needed. I simply forgot to check the workshops due to a megaproject, and see that the craftsdwarf was screaming for tanned hides when 2 doors down there was a roomful of cows waiting to be slaughtered, and a tannery 3 doors down waiting for the skin.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 10:35:00 pm »

When an adventurer died of old age.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 10:42:48 pm »

The other day I got seiged, and I thought to myself, "no problem, I'm protected my truly excellent traps!" Then, my dwarves began systematically filing into my 1-tile wide cage trap hallway to be shot down by the bowgobbos. I lost a good 10 dwarves to that fail.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 11:02:03 pm »

Ordering the atomsmasher down before the dumping is done. This is dumb because I know how to build a safe atomsmasher and could easily build one around the structures already in place, but I just can't be bothered because reworking constructions is a pain in the butt.

Oh, and building constructions off bridge "support".
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 11:14:47 pm »

Accidently used the wrong color stone for my room so I set it to be deconstructed... about 15 dwarfs died as the chuck gutted my fortress.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 11:19:49 pm »

The bulk of my fort was a fairly large, several z-level tower, with various different rooms, barracks and kitchens on different levels.
I was anoyed at the Wuradi diplomat for some reason or other, and thus used my mayor to lure him out onto a specially-constructed plank type thing on the top level, then had her run back, trapping him out there with a locked door. Then I had someone deconstruct the little jutting floor he was on.
As much as I'd tried to have it hanging over an empty patch of ground, bits of debris and shrapnel still scattered far enough around to kill and cripple a few of my dwarves... And the diplomant survived with a broken back. ::)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 11:47:32 pm »

I accidentally the wrong tile to be dug around a volcano, so I lost a bunch of miners.

Curtisjack10

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I am, THEE legendary... soap maker!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 11:49:39 pm »

A macedwarf decided to jump into the water to kill a capybara. The Capybara swam away and the dwarf drowned...    ???
My walls are made out of kitten soap.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 11:50:16 pm »

I was finalising the geothermal system for an industrial chamber, and my miner drops her baby on the way to the exit ramp...
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 12:17:00 am »

I've had miners strand themselves often when digging pits.  They also tend to drop floors on their fellow miners' heads.  I now designate my pits to be channeled one layer at a time.

This other time, I had a one tile wide bridge that crossed a deep pit as my only entrance to the fort.  A bunch of dorfs were collecting things after a siege, and apparently there was just too much traffic on the bridge.  Somehow a couple of them got pushed off the bridge, or tried to walk around each other and fell into the pit, and splattered at the bottom.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 12:19:55 am »

Before I knew the secret to making walls, I've lost a few dorfs to them walling themselves into a future well or magma holding room. I once lost one to them stranding themselves on a roof by building stuff in a stupid order and getting stuck - and I totally forgot about them until I wondered why I always had this ONE idler...

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 12:56:58 am »

Digging down into the first cavern, suddenly all the dwarves decide to plant their butts next to the lake.

The lake with the cave crocodile crawling out of it.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 01:17:35 am »

"Sir, there are goblins incoming!"
"Close the drawbridge and prepare magma trap!"
"But i must haul that piece of bone to outside"

Urist McHauler went outside, dropped his piece of bone to refuse pile, and then tried to came back. Unfortunately, drawbridge were closed. Because goblins were still far, I tried to save that idiot and opened drawbridge. Urist McHauler decided that he is drowsy, and started to SLEEP in middle of my magma trap-corridor.

I closed drawbridge again. I had never seen that fucker again.

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 02:54:37 am »

Well, I was doing a tame GCS farm like that in wiki. I have no idea where I got that spider...

Almost done, last phase is happening. Placing floodgates to seal it off.
But, my starting 7 farmer decides to jail himself in there. And there's that goblin visible to him, so he starts running from corner to corner...
At this point, I have linked both floodgates (See wiki) to lever. I order someone to pull it. It closed some drawbridges in that chamber too, so right when farmer is running on one, it closes and *CRUNCH*
It was annoying.
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8