Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dealing with Shortness of Breath (CURED!)  (Read 10532 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with Shortness of Breath
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2011, 11:38:37 am »

Update:

I went to a walk in clinic and unlike last time my symptoms didn't go away (they alleviated somewhat but I still feel horrible).

The result was that the doctor found nothing wrong and that even my lungs, a honestly the reason I thought I had shortness of breath, were clear.

I feel awful but at least according to the walk in doctor I am fine.

MIND YOU!

I am now ALL the way back to the original question.

I want advice on how to deal with shortness of breath because it has already become intollerable.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 04:32:19 pm by Neonivek »

timotheus

• Bay Watcher
  • New to Dwarf Fortress.. Long time ASCII gamer..
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2011, 05:48:16 pm »

Since the doc said everything was okay, have you thought of building up some cardio?

I used to to be out of breath more, then I started doing some cardio and it increased how much oxygen my lungs could pull in with a breath. It makes your lungs more efficient.

I don't know how to phrase that last paragraph without it looking like a robot.
twitter: @timotheus
email: tim@hithlonde.com
xmpp: tim@hithlonde.com

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2011, 08:10:34 pm »

The doctor said they didn't find anything. They didn't say everything was ok so to speak. (as in my Heart rate is normal, my blood pressure isn't the culprit, and my lungs are clear)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 08:16:58 pm by Neonivek »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2011, 08:15:37 pm »

If nothing's wrong, it could just be your lung efficiency, which a walk-in doctor usually doesn't test. Try playing a wind instrument or running or something to toughen up your cardiovascular system?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2011, 10:44:44 pm »

If nothing's wrong, it could just be your lung efficiency, which a walk-in doctor usually doesn't test. Try playing a wind instrument or running or something to toughen up your cardiovascular system?

It could just be that my throat is swollen.

It would explain why there is snot even though my lungs are clear, it would explain why it isn't continuous, and it would explain why a walk in wouldn't find anything.

As well due to how I rest it would also explain my breathing problems while lying down.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2011, 09:22:48 am »

no one here takes it seriously and believe that it is being caused entirely by weight gain

Why do you think it's not?  Breathing problems and especially sleep apnea are known side effects of being overweight.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2011, 10:20:47 am »

no one here takes it seriously and believe that it is being caused entirely by weight gain

Why do you think it's not?  Breathing problems and especially sleep apnea are known side effects of being overweight.

Because my weight hasn't increased. In fact given that it is a new school year it is decreasing (as in I am losing weight and getting more exercise and eating less). As well the pattern of when I am the most oxygen deprived isn't consistant with weight gain.

Also sleep apnea tends to be coupled with snoring. I am a quiet yet VERY particular sleeper. THOUGH if I do have Sleep Apnea I have had it LONG before I became overweight as I have long since had low quality sleep (at least I THINK I do have slow quality sleep. As sometimes, very rarely, I have a GREAT sleep... and I doubt there is such a thing as an occasional sleep so great that it is 10 times more refreshing then normal. Personally I doubt it is Sleep Apnia and probably linked to sleeping habits)

It also only annoys me because at my house they will BLAME anything on what they want you to do. Had I had any unfinished homework I am sure that I would be told the reason would be that I had not done my homework.

Anyhow I am just rather done with this topic as it entered circular logic and stopped bringing in anything new. As well it is just depressing.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 10:43:53 am by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
CURED!
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2011, 12:59:39 am »

If ANYONE is still interested here is an update

I went back to the same Walk In clinic and I actually got a result this time.

It turns out that the illness I had 4 weeks ago caused Throat inflamation and lingered even when the illness went away. I have a perscription now and things are working a LOT better (sure my throat starts to feel dry, hoarse, or scratchy when it isn't inflamed but I can sleep with a sore throat, in fact that never bothered me much... I can't sleep with shortness of breath, heck I can't stand it) and now I can finally get some sleep.

I was really lucky though. The Doctor commented that she BARELY heard the wheezing and even I could feel that my shortness of breath was going into remission.

So yeah getting better now and much happier.

I'll work on diet and exercise later.

Annoyingly I am still told by my parents that there was no reason for me to go see a doctor. (Then again they believe that "Shortness of Breath" is not only always obvious and overt, but that it is debilitating to the point where if I had it I would have exasperated and died already... But honestly it still bugs me even if people are wrong.)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 03:07:16 pm by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with Shortness of Breath (CURED!)
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2011, 10:24:46 pm »

Does anyone have any evidence that Shortness of Breath isn't a "Tough it out" symptom by the way so I can feel better about being called Immature by my father?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2011, 10:35:59 pm »

Oxygen deprivation kills brain cells and you, if prolonged.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2011, 06:44:54 pm »

Shortness of breath is definitely not a tough it out symptom. When I was younger I occasionally had pretty severe asthma attacks and it was bad enough that I couldn't walk unaided because of it. Eventually I got medication for alleviating it, but it was still a major problem. However, once I started taking allergy shots and swimming regularly, most of the symptoms of my asthma went away and I haven't had any asthma attacks for maybe two or three years. For exercise, you should definitely take up swimming later, it helps build up your cardiovascular health while not being too particularly taxing. It also helps build a useful skill, before I started swimming I was deathly afraid of water. Trust me, it's just a good idea in general.
Pages: 1 2 [3]