Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can buildingdestroyers smash drawbridges now?  (Read 2905 times)

foolcow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can buildingdestroyers smash drawbridges now?
« on: October 28, 2011, 07:57:39 pm »

The information in the wiki seems to indicate that raised drawbridges can now be destroyed by creatures with the BUILDINGDESTROYER tag.  Is this correct, and did it change recently?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Can buildingdestroyers smash drawbridges now?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 08:04:49 pm »

They cannot from the raised side.

Code: [Select]
vDestroyed
  Bbb
  Bbb
  Bbb
safe^
<- Your fort
Outside ->

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 08:15:20 pm »

I was under the impression that a drawbridge could be destroyed if the destroyer could stand on one of the tiles it normally occupies when it's lowered... so if / is the bridge when raised, and _ is a tile it lowers into, then
fort /__ baddy would not be safe, and fort __\ baddy would be safe. I might just be spouting a myth though. If anyone knows of a good !!science!! thread that tests this, please link, and If anyone has had any !!fun!! experiences with this, please post. Also curious if flyers can break through doors/windows/bridges in mid air, or if they need solid ground next to it...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 08:25:44 pm »

You're thinking of magma.  If you have a non-magma-safe bridge that is raised, and pour magma onto the area that it would occupy, it will melt as if it were being directly touched.  Building destroyers can only destroy bridges from the side that the bridge would NOT be occupying, the exact reverse of magma.

In other words, it acts like you'd expect a drawbridge to act.

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 09:14:35 pm »

They also can't destroy drawbridges that are deployed above them (I.E. On down stairs), which can be a sort of failsafe in case of nibbling off a bit too much candy.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 09:19:48 pm »

Hatches as well can prevent upward building destroyers.  And they can be easily locked by hand, no slow-acting levers.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 09:45:43 pm »

Hatches as well can prevent upward building destroyers.  And they can be easily locked by hand, no slow-acting levers.

Wait hatches block building destroyers going up? Well I never knew that.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 10:42:15 pm »

Yeah, rather than flooring over glowing tiles in curious underground structures, I hatch them off and lock them. Then I can let the clowns in one or two at a time and take them out slowly.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 10:45:25 pm »

Yeah, rather than flooring over glowing tiles in curious underground structures, I hatch them off and lock them. Then I can let the clowns in one or two at a time and take them out slowly.

Wouldn't they just destroy all of the hatches on the surface?

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 10:51:11 pm »

Don't you lose control of the hatch as soon as a clown passes through, making it impossible to lock it against the rest of them?

(Haven't played DF since 31.21, in case this has changed since then)
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 10:53:53 pm »

Hm...That's a valid point. Honestly, I never really got past pulling the weapon before FPS death got to me, so I'm really not sure.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

levohS

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 12:16:17 am »

I decided I would trap the seasonal titan between by two drawbridges and managed to do so. Unfortunately the moment I did he proceeded to tear down one of the bridges and hop inside the fort. It did not end up well.

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 04:09:56 am »

I'm not sure what direction your are safe and what direction you aren't. But one failsafe is to channel out all the tiles in front of the raise bridge. It hasn't failed me yet; however I have yet to encounter a flying building destroyer. Even then, I'm pretty sure it would have to stand on solid ground to destroy something.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

JJtoocool

• Bay Watcher
  • Unfortunate Accident: ∞
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 04:37:32 am »

I decided I would trap the seasonal titan between by two drawbridges and managed to do so. Unfortunately the moment I did he proceeded to tear down one of the bridges and hop inside the fort. It did not end up well.

When your "last stand" is only up against one creature (excluding dragons, for dragonfire) you can usually just draft everyone in the fort and Dorf Rush him. Face melting blood is still a problem if the titan has that...
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
I heard that I died.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
It was inevitable.
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
Goodbye.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
Goodbye.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 06:09:49 am »

When your "last stand" is only up against one creature (excluding dragons, for dragonfire) you can usually just draft everyone in the fort and Dorf Rush him. Face melting blood is still a problem if the titan has that...

Dorf rush him with dwarves that can actually fight though >_>
Pages: [1] 2