Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Razorthorn - A second experiment in citizen mandates [Community]  (Read 6145 times)

Sir Broccoli

• Bay Watcher
  • Right in the goddamn FACE!
    • View Profile
Re: Razorthorn - A second experiment in citizen mandates [Community]
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 03:11:44 pm »

I did NOT plan for this bit to become this long. The original plan was to write a lot more stuff that was actually relevant to the game but I used up all of my writing abilities for the night so I guess I'm gonna have to keep you guys hanging.

I won't really have any time to update this weekend so you're gonna have to be patient with me, mmkay?
If sad, apply kittens.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 03:25:30 pm »

I'd like to make the new mandate of building my bedroom made of either gold or cotton candy, including a magma fountain.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 05:58:50 pm »

There's a spare mason?

Name him Goldenblocks. He wanted all of his life to be a goldsmith, but tradition forced him to become a mason. He might occsasionally beg to do some spare metalsmithing jobs but will mostly grumble to himself, sketching vague plans. His mandate is to import native gold and have him make furniture out of it ASAP.

Hey, it's better than releasing prisoners into the fort or opening up the caverns specifically to allow more medical work, isn't it?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sir Broccoli

• Bay Watcher
  • Right in the goddamn FACE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 01:42:11 pm »

Sorry about the delay, I recently re-installed Black & White. That game is way too much fun.

Anyway, let's stop the excuses and move on to:

Entry 3

We're actually accomplishing stuff here! We've got an ironworks all set up, with four smelters and two forges. This allowed us to make a full set of armour for Anderz, and not only that:

We actually have a militia going on! Ten dwarves, each of them equipped with a complete (alright, mostly complete. We ran out of iron at some point but we're smelting more) set of armour. We're still mostly unarmed but Uthrist, cape enthousiast and self-proclaimed 'dungeon master', seems to know which end of a hammer you're supposed to hold so I guess I'll let him give it a go.

We also built a wall (complete with drawbridge) and some basic traps. They don't really do anything to keep the harpies out but they seem to calm Gar down. That's a good thing seeing as he's the one currently working on the fountains for the dining room and I do NOT want him to screw those up.

---

"...And this lever operates the pumps that will pump the water from the cistern to the fountains! They get their power from an array of-" Gar spent the last half-hour showing me the various tricks and mechanisms that he'd used to construct the fountains. He claimed he was done but I insisted on checking things out before we activated the fountains. "-And this lever operates the floodgate connected to the river. All we have to do to activate the fountains now is pull this lever and start the whole thing up."

"And you're sure this all works?"

"Oh yes, there's no way I could've made a mistake. So... Can I pull the lever now?"

I had already ordered the evacuation of the dining room. If this goes wrong at least it won't kill anyone. "Alright, pull it." This seemed to please Gar immensely.

"Alright! Behold as I pull this lever and the enormous pressure of the river will fill the cistern immediately!" He pulled the lever. A number of clunks and whirrs were heard as the mechanisms hooked into each other, spun around and activated other mechanisms. The orchestra of sound effects was punctuated by a click, followed by the sound of a small trickle of water.

Gar looked confused. "That does not sound... Big enough. It should produce the roaring sound of an entire river being emptied into the cistern." He hurried downstairs to the cistern, I followed him. When I arrived downstairs he was already there, putting his ear to the door. "'S not filling up right." He opened the door, on the other side was a puddle.

"Now how did this happen?" I asked.

"Must've forgotten to carry a one." Gar mumbled as he took out a notepad and made some calculations. "With this rate the cistern should be filled up in two to three decades. Unless we dig out another cistern below this one that will-"

I left him to his pondering and went to check the list of mandates again.

---

'Capes.' We got the cloth industry set up and we're growing pig tails and dimple cups so that shouldn't be a problem.

'Solid gold bedroom + magma fountain.' We found a bit of gold but it's not nearly enough for a bedroom. We're going to have to dig a shitload of tunnels to find enough. As for the magma fountain: We don't have magma yet. I jotted down a small note "Find magma ASAP."

'Mr. Fishfist's bedroom.' Right, this one was easy:

We built the room close to the farms; it was just easier, logistics wise. Also, the chair is a simple wooden chair rather than the rock thrones that we normally use. It just seemed appropriate. I put down a small check next to the mandate.

'Basic defenses.' Check.

'Fountain in the dining room.' Working on it.

'Arena.' We're still in the concept phase here. I got some designs ready but so far nothing really seems to stand out. I could do some really awesome stuff if we had access to magma though. I underlined the "ASAP" in my earlier note.

'Native gold furniture.' This one confused me a bit. Goldenblocks seems eager to be a metalsmith but right now we simply don't have the extra ores or fuel to allow an unexperienced smith near the forges. Instead Goldenblocks insisted he would be allowed to make furniture from gold ore.

---

"You treacherous little filcher!" The voice came from one hill over. I dropped the logs I was carrying and hurried over to see what was going on.

I arrived to see the hunter, swearing loudly and stamping on his own hat. "He took it! He just walked up to me and stole it!"

"Whoa, calm down! What's all this about? Who took what?"

"A stinking kobold thief! He stole one of my bolts!"

"A kobold? I heard they were so stupid they forgot to feed themselves and starved to death! What are they doing here?"

"Stealing my bolt! That's what!"

"Just the one bolt though? It's a bit odd that he ran off with just one bolt."

"...I might've shot it at him."

"Well then what were you expecting? Him to apologise, pull it out of his spleen and hand it back to you? Anyway, it's just a kobold and it's just a bolt. I'll have the smiths make some new bolts and we'll place some more traps, that should take care of things."

---

"It's just a bit damp!"

"It's a flood."

"It was just a little overpressurized! Clearly the upper cisterns were not a good idea, they were originally conceived to-" I chose to ignore Gar's techno-babble and check out the damage.

The dining room was a mess. The pumps activated while the ceiling hatches were still sealed shut so that pressure would build up until the hatches finally opened and twelve billion gallons of water came cascading into the dining room. Nobody got hurt but everyone's soaked and my dinner's ruined.

Gar was still talking. "-next time we should probably avoid that. It's working beatifully now, though."

I looked around. It was. Four waterfalls surrounded by big tables custom-made to let the water through. The result was stunning.

"Alright." I said to anyone in earshot. "Clean this up. Lay some new tiles and enjoy your dining room."

I took out my notepad and checked off another mandate.
If sad, apply kittens.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 02:23:10 pm »

W-e-el then. If that mandate is done...
I mandate a sacrificial gold alter deep in the bowels of the earth, in a fully engraved room 3 z-levels high.
Howzat?
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 04:08:52 pm »

I request to be dorfed. Shino/shina based on gender, bonecrafter and priest(ess) to one of the more horrible gods. He/she wears a set of preferably goblin bone armor and a dagger or bone weapon to perform sacrifices over the gold altar with. I mandate a system to dump stripped prisoners on the altar for sacrifice, but if thats too much I'll just mandate masterwork bone armour for myself and do sacrifices in the arena as a public spectacle.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 04:56:40 pm »

8) Back. And I call for a Male Dwarf name Mero. He is a cloudcuckoolander with a thing for (choose a male with a liking for any animal and insert its name here) And demands a breeding pair for the fort, his one execution squad, an arena (doesn't know one is going to be built and doesn't care until it is) and that there will be a wall for him and his future execution squad can shoot at prisoners safely when they are not being used by the wimpy meleers. And he tends to say everything in one breath until he nearly swoons and passes out. Oh, and he want no bolt shot in this base to go to waste. NONE! thank you. *creepy evil laugh*
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 06:25:31 pm »

MANDATE

dig to the caverns and explore them for ores in the walls, then use only these ores till they run out, then we start looking for ores using the caverns for the only entrances to the mines, with a guard post that can be locked down in case of terrabad things happening.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 09:37:44 pm »

MANDATE!
Give me a room with a goblin in a cage.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 11:15:15 pm »

MANDATE!
Give me a room with a goblin in a cage.

ME TO!

poeticwatcher

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2011, 01:03:38 am »

Dwarf me please?

Name: Poetic
Female dwarf, must like cats! Please let her adopt 4 or 5! Professions: butcher (tanner), bonecrafter ... Is generally friendly to people, has a crazy relationship with cats... the ones she adopts she refuses to be without, but any babies they produce she butchers for meat and bones, the bones can be carved into bolts (or something more useful?)

Mandate: I'm cool if you can just manage the above at this juncture!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2011, 09:04:28 pm »

New mandate: Goldenblocks wants some metal blocks to be made so he's not horrible at metalsmithing when he gets to touch the precious, holy gold.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

antlion12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2011, 01:35:28 am »

I would like a dwarfing

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2011, 08:13:14 am »

Hey look, this is dead!
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2011, 08:22:27 am »

I guess black and white really IS all that fun. Ah well, he'll come back. It's something in the beards you see. They're addictive.

Posting to show interest. The last one went well until everyone horribly died and without the FD mod this one could be something great.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"
Pages: 1 [2] 3