Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Will Your Dwarves Be Half Speciesist?  (Read 2190 times)

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
Will Your Dwarves Be Half Speciesist?
« on: October 26, 2011, 12:25:28 pm »

Unless there are serious drawbacks to being a lycanthrope or vampire, I'm confident in saying that these half-breeds will be better than regular dwarves. How do you think your fort will handle it, though, if they expose someone? I'm pretty sure everyone would flip out and attempt to murder said individual for being scary and different, but how do you want them to? As a community obsessed with... odd ideals of efficiency, I'm interested in knowing.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: Will Your Dwarves Be Half Speciesist?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 01:52:34 pm »

As long as you can still keep playing with a fort full of vampires or other monsters, I'm good.
Then it'd be all about getting enough victims to support your monster fortress.

As for how it'll actually pan out... Dunno. Does the vampire always kill their victim? Do I need to worry about losing legendary dwarves to random attacks from within? If so, then maybe I need to micromanage a little. If not, then let the crazies roam as much as they want.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 01:58:43 pm »

Werewolves are much better than vampires in this respect; vampires need mortals, but werewolves don't.
I definitely want to get an all- were-something fortress, and have plans for that involving a room with trap doors and 1 level drops in order to get infection without killing.
Soaplent green is goblins!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 03:47:05 pm »

Under my rule,dwarf fortresses are the epitome of empathy and equality.(well, that's what i try to make them, at least). I even have a policy that(usually) prevents the loss of innocent virtual lives.

As long as the half-beasties don't pose any serious threat to the rest of the population, I got no problem with them.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 03:53:26 pm »

If vampires can be nobles, whenever I have a vampire baron I will try to get him to Count, rename him to Dracula and my dwarfs will live through a reign of suffering.

Kappas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 03:55:46 pm »

It would be neat to have a mafia like situation, where everyone suddenly realizes that the majority of "us" are actually "they". Well, I suppose that is beyond the capabilities of the game.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 03:57:39 pm »

It would be neat to have a mafia like situation, where everyone suddenly realizes that the majority of "us" are actually "they". Well, I suppose that is beyond the capabilities of the game.
For now. If this sort of thing ends up interesting Toady, then it's just a matter of time (four years?) until it's added.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 04:03:49 pm »

I'm planning to isolate the contamined individuals in cages or 3x3 glass rooms with magma heating in case of an outbrake.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 12:20:17 pm by peskyninja »
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 05:48:53 pm »

Immortal vampire nobility + short-lived race (10 year life span) of feeble mortals. The vampires sequester the mortals as slaves and breed them to replace the ones lost to accidents, invasions, and feeding. The initial vampires who brought about the situation kill any new vampires that arise unless they need to replenish the vampire population. Ghosts from the unburied haunt the vampires and torment the mortal population. Necromancers are kept in prisons as weaponized semi-allies to raise the many corpses to kill goblin invasions while the vampires look down from their high tower.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 06:28:02 pm »

Vampire book keepers- If I can make one I could die in peace.
UristMcCount-one corpse AHAHAHA two corpses AHAHAHA three corpses AHAHAHA....
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 11:57:34 pm »

If you can't continue playing with an all monster fort, you could easily stick a random dorf in a 1x2 with a quantum food and booze stockpile. Simplest way to go IMO.

I think the best profession would be a vampire surgeon. No need to feed on the innoccent, just sip a few drops here and there when someone comes in missing a leg. I mean, who's going to know? You'll be covered in blood anyway, why not have a quick snack while you're there.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 01:07:36 am »

I think the best profession would be a vampire surgeon. No need to feed on the innoccent, just sip a few drops here and there when someone comes in missing a leg. I mean, who's going to know? You'll be covered in blood anyway, why not have a quick snack while you're there.

You ever played S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 01:12:24 am »

Never heard of it.  :o
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 02:01:29 am »

Vampire book keepers- If I can make one I could die in peace.
UristMcCount-one corpse AHAHAHA two corpses AHAHAHA three corpses AHAHAHA....

Bahaha! :D
I'm all about the -Sesame Street references-, so sigging these!

Also, like I posted in the Future of The Fortress thread, I'm hoping it'll be possible to just place your mighty vampire on a golden throne and feed them the blood of migrants. We need to be able to forge goblets...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 02:29:09 am »

Never heard of it.  :o

Okay. Although slightly spoileriffic:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: [1] 2